Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
When even Fox News pulls your ad, it's pretty bad.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 342

When even Fox News pulls your ad, it's pretty bad.

Nov 5, 2018, 5:33 PM

CNN
NBC
Fox News
Facebook all pull Trumps immigration campaign ad as being misleading, inaccurate and racist.

"Fox News, NBC and Facebook Inc. yanked a controversial political ad about the migrant caravan after critics described the commercial backed by President Donald Trump as racist.

The ad was pulled from Fox News on Sunday, according to Marianne Gambelli, president of ad sales for the network. “It will not appear on either Fox News Channel or Fox Business Network,” she said in a statement on Monday."

http://time.com/5445246/fox-nbc-facebook-controversial-trump-ad/

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not racist, just inflammatory and misleading

Nov 5, 2018, 5:41 PM

We'll see how eager they are to pull misleading ads created by left-wing groups.

Message was edited by: camcgee®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Most ads are misleading, but that one is on another level

Nov 5, 2018, 7:20 PM

It reminded me of the propaganda bits in Starship Troopers (the voice over guy might even be the same dude)...and it's freaking endorsed by The President of The United States. Amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijvTiDnWJLE

It's meant to feed off racist and bigoted beliefs so it's not totally incorrect to say it's racist.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You have to really want it to be racist for it to be racist

Nov 6, 2018, 4:08 PM

And that goes for both racist and anti-racists. I had a friend on Facebook who's in charge (in some capacity) of a Democrats Abroad group in Sweden who insisted that the ad was "overtly racist." If there's anything racist about this ad, then showing that there is requires an argument based on things that are latent and assumed. So whatever racism there may be is literally not "overt." Of course, this set off a left-wing political theory PhD friend of our and another friend of ours who writes for The Atlantic, who insisted that things that were not overt could be overt if he determined them to be so.

You guys need to get past labeling everything you don't like as "racist," "sexist," or implicated in some other intersectional-determined pathology. Sometimes, it's OK to just say that something is stupid and wrong without the rest of that.

deweather

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't care if it's overt or not.

Nov 6, 2018, 5:14 PM

It's a stupid and wrong ad that's meant to feed off the viewer's fear and biases against a whole group of people that are different looking than them.

Is that racism or mean it has racist undertones?

I'd like to hear an argument that says it's "stupid, wrong, misleading, and inflammatory" for different reasons other than the underlying racist/bias viewpoint it carries.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

See the ad here:

Nov 6, 2018, 4:25 PM

The guy reminds me of Frankie Pentangeli on the stand in Godfather Part II hamming it up.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/11/5/18065880/nbc-racist-trump-ad-sunday-night-football

https://youtube.com/watch?v=eUjjzwIrebQ

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 342
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic