Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Spring Practice: Five burning questions for the offense
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

New Story: Spring Practice: Five burning questions for the offense

Feb 28, 2014, 10:30 AM

Spring Practice: Five burning questions for the offense

Spring practice begins next week, and for the first time in a few seasons, the offense has plenty of question marks. What are five hot topics heading into the spring? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Spring Practice: Five burning questions for the offense

Feb 28, 2014, 10:33 AM

all of the backs are about the same size. I always think of howard as largerr but the only big back is JJ and the new walk on. I suspect they will be more fullback type guys

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Howard has 57 carries for 2013 yards?

Feb 28, 2014, 10:39 AM

Yeah, there's the starter.

;)

Might want to fix that.

Message was edited by: tmitchell27®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Howard has 57 carries for 2013 yards?

Feb 28, 2014, 10:42 AM

Hey I can live with him having an almost 40 yard per carry average. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Howard has 57 carries for 2013 yards?

Feb 28, 2014, 10:50 AM [ in reply to Howard has 57 carries for 2013 yards? ]

With those kind of numbers there isn't anything to fix.

JJ McCullough

Mar 1, 2014, 10:34 AM [ in reply to Howard has 57 carries for 2013 yards? ]

hoping they give him a shot at that spot.

We need his strength at TE more.

Mar 1, 2014, 10:41 AM

Unless Dye is out all year, I think we still have enough options for RB/TB/HB. Since Leggett is still not proven as a star - he still seems to be suffering from his "not taking it seriously" he admitted early in the 2013 season - and Seckinger is probably at his peak (and decent but not a star), we need another TE to build up and potentially replace Cooper. I say Cooper only because he's the one who seems to do a decent job making plays possible (blocking) over the others.

Give Milan Richard a year to develop. Keep McCullough at TE.

Three good tight ends - do not need him there.

Mar 1, 2014, 1:15 PM

Leggett and Seckinger are improving and Cooper is old reliable with Milan Richard coming in - need bigger runner more!

RB is a huge problem with Dye out, any true freshman?

Feb 28, 2014, 11:08 AM

We missed Ellington's blocking last year and just being a good runner. Who knows about Gallman, but none of those other guys are going to make us a top 5 team.

Not really

Feb 28, 2014, 11:40 AM

Brooks is a good back who now has two years under his belt. There's lots of talent back there, and if we can make Rod McDowell into a 1000 yard rusher, we can surely get there with some of the other guys on the roster.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not really

Feb 28, 2014, 11:54 AM

all we need is a rb that can block and catch out of the backfield. if any of those guys can get the job done its a plus. Like you said Rod was a 1000 yard rusher. If him being under 200lbs can get it done anyone can as long as they have the heart to compete. My money is on Gallman.. He is a big back and he can catch. So we shall see.

Griff

Didn't Gallman pick up some heft ?

Feb 28, 2014, 12:30 PM

I thought Gallman was about 10 or 15 pounds of muscle bigger than when he came on campus. There is every reason to believe he can be the go to bruiser RB with Dye still struggling with health.

Who is the guy on the team

Feb 28, 2014, 12:01 PM

that can just flat out fly? Not fly exactly, but run real fast.

I thought TJ Green was being moved

Feb 28, 2014, 12:21 PM

to safety. Did I miss something?

Scott and Hopper are the fastest

Feb 28, 2014, 12:32 PM [ in reply to Who is the guy on the team ]

Kitt, Williams, Priester and Thompson are all the same with good not great speed, very good hands and good route running

Re: Scott and Hopper are the fastest

Feb 28, 2014, 12:34 PM

Kyrin Priester's coach compared him to Jacoby Ford, now obviously not a lot of people are as fast as Jacoby, but he did make it a point that when Kyrin is open, he's gone. Also, CJ Fuller's 100m time is about .1 or .2 behind Sammy's, but CJ is also shorter and heavier than Sammy coming out of HS. So as much as I would like to have a stocky fast as lightening corner, I think CJ Fuller is the sleeper at RB.

I see Priester as more of a Jaron Brown clone but faster

Feb 28, 2014, 12:47 PM

At least from the type we have of him out of HS. Truth be told he was more polished then Williams last year and would have played, a lot, if he hadn't gone to Prep school. I don't see him as a burner but that might have changed and I'd be welcome to it.

I still don't think Fuller is making it in but if he does I could see him either at RB or CB before it's all said and done.

I also don't put much stock in 40 times. These are FB players not track stars so i feel something is lost in translation. I'd much rather player be put in full pads and have them run off of a snap 40 yards on the field. That's where it'll matter in any case.

Thought I remembered a stat on Charone Peake

Feb 28, 2014, 9:39 PM [ in reply to Scott and Hopper are the fastest ]

last year saying he was actually faster than Sammy. Then he got injured.

I totally forgot about Spencer Region***

Feb 28, 2014, 12:37 PM

I've heard he's lost a lot of weight.

Feb 28, 2014, 12:47 PM

We'll see if that's true because he could be a very good player if he did

Lets Make It Interesting ----

Feb 28, 2014, 1:00 PM

Don't Willie Simmons still have a year left of
elgibility left?????

Morris on Gallman about 2 weeks ago:

Feb 28, 2014, 1:07 PM

"Morris said Gallman is 'probably as dynamic and electric a back as I've seen. He can turn speed to power so fast. There's a lot of great things going on with our backs."

I think Morris will probably push Gallman and Brooks, both hand picked, to be the top starting RBs. Davidson might be number 3.

And I thought Swinney and Morris were pretty adamant about keeping McCullough in training to be the next big TE.

Re: Morris on Gallman about 2 weeks ago:

Feb 28, 2014, 1:45 PM

We moved a TE to OL last season... and another TE to OL this year.... If McCullough can handle TB I would love to see him carry the ball in short yardage situations instead of the QB.

I think coaches see the TE needs as bigger

Mar 1, 2014, 9:43 AM

than the RB needs. I would agree. Need to keep as much talent developing at TE as possible and give Milan Richard a year to set in. Otherwise all our eggs are in the Leggett basket for the next few years. Seckinger is decent, but so far hasn't been as solid at that position as we need, especially and blocking. Cooper has improved, but isn't here much longer and isn't a big play (yardage) guy so far.

Agree, keep McCollough at Tailback/fullback -***

Mar 1, 2014, 1:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Morris on Gallman about 2 weeks ago: ]

The OL isn't young anymore, it will likely be 2sr and 3jr

Feb 28, 2014, 1:43 PM

starters with a few other Jrs playing key rolls.

Re: The OL isn't young anymore, it will likely be 2sr and 3jr

Feb 28, 2014, 1:47 PM

1 RS Freshman is likely to start.... Crowder. If not we will have an excellent OL, I expect Crowder to at least make the 2nd team at one guard position.

Re: The OL isn't young anymore, it will likely be 2sr and 3jr

Feb 28, 2014, 2:16 PM

With all due respect to Kelly, most every article refers to his "highlight reel" TD run against Virginia. In reality it was a run that any of our 300 linemen could have made. 38 yds untouched. No moves, no broken tackles, no one to run away from. Yes he made the read to keep the ball but if you look at the film there was no one there! All he had to do was stay upright.

While so many peeps here like to pile on about Cole only playing "mop up time", it might be noteworthy that that run came after Cole's "mop up time". In fact, all of Kelly's time came after Cole, so what category do you put that in?

With that in mind, much of the time Cole played was with mostly our #2 offense and much of that time still going against the #1 defenses of other teams since he did see a lot of action int the 1st half early in the 3rd qtr. 47-59 passing without Sammy or Martavious. Not bad, and very underapreciated.

and there are returning recievers who like Cole's touch!***

Feb 28, 2014, 2:43 PM

Stoudt....is that you?

Feb 28, 2014, 3:01 PM [ in reply to Re: The OL isn't young anymore, it will likely be 2sr and 3jr ]

;)

Every yr EXACTLY 5 "burning questions". No improvement! :-)***

Feb 28, 2014, 3:49 PM

Every post NEGATIVE "punking"... Expected!***

Feb 28, 2014, 4:00 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Every post NEGATIVE "punking"... Expected!***

Feb 28, 2014, 9:51 PM

Here's one that's not negative punking-BRING ON AUGUST! Ready for some FOOTBALL!

How about Spring fb NOW!***

Mar 1, 2014, 1:19 PM

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic