Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
More than just a Rivalry, It’s a Tradition…
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 0
| visibility 956

More than just a Rivalry, It’s a Tradition…

Jul 31, 2020, 1:33 PM

More than just a Game, It’s a Tradition…

Ever since the news broke how the SEC was going to conference only this year, I have been upset and uneasy. I have seen on Tigernet the many opinions of the game. Few don’t want to renew it because of competition. Some want a new rivalry with a team in the ACC. Most are still in shock (as am I.)

A series between two schools separated by ideology, politics, and plain old hatred for one another. Urban vs. Rule, brother against brother, family against family. Dated way back to after reconstruction. This game has had, brawls, the mob, Legislation by South Carolina governing body, pranks, and of course the birth of our “orange britches”

It all started over a poster of a tiger and a gamecock standing on it. Threats were made and they carried out the threats. Eventually the poster was burned to calm tensions. Since that game in 1902, this rivalry blossomed. This game was played during both world wars and during that time this rivalry had the only player (Cary Cox) to be team captains of both teams in his tenue. The New York mob also got involved with the rivalry by printing a lot of counterfeit tickets in 1946. This year’s game was known as the most chaotic game of the series up till then. A Clemson fan strangled a live chicken at midfield. All fans stormed the field and it took then U.S. Secretary of State James F. Byrnes and governor Strom Thurmond to break up the fight.
In 1952 the SoCon was punishing Clemson not to play anyone in the conference other then Maryland. They went against conference standing Clemson and South Carolina by accepting bowl bids. Both Teams withdrew from the conference and created the ACC. Legislation was passed forcing both Schools to play that year.
South Carolina fraternity pulled a prank on Clemson at one of the Big Thursday Games. They all dressed up like Clemson players like our jerseys. They started practicing and throwing the ball and catching it awfully bad. The band even started playing tiger rag. Some of the fans caught on and rushed the field.
In 1980 Danny ford came up with an idea to motivate his team. He allowed his team to wear orange pants against South Carolina. This action gave birth to our orange pants tradition on championships.

I understand there is a pandemic, but if we can play football in North Carolina or Indiana we can play our neighbor 132 miles to the south. Limit the fans, Add extra guidelines. We played during all kinds of tragedies, wars, and disasters. It is a good distraction from the world we live in.

There are many more interesting events that has happened between our rival schools. At this point its almost like a family game after thanksgiving. That is my point. This game isn’t about the level of competition the other school has, Its not how they affect our schedule its more then that. Our fathers and their fathers all were a part of something bigger than a game. They were all connected by the love they have for their school and their state. The annual palmetto bowl serves as a constant tradition between all South Carolinians.

This is more than a rivalry… this is a family tradition.

I call upon the South Carolina Legislation and request the game to be played. NO fans, a limited number of fans with guidelines. Save our tradition and rivalry.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 0
| visibility 956
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic