Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
More people died yesterday, in one day, from COVID
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 62
| visibility 1

More people died yesterday, in one day, from COVID

Dec 3, 2020, 8:37 AM

than died in the 9/11 terrorist attacks. All of the government experts and authorities on the subject are warning that it is about to get much worse.

So, our President gave what he described as perhaps his "most important speech" yesterday. It was whining about his personal grievances.

I say again, though the President seems to really want to be the President, he has chosen to completely abdicate leadership on the most important national issue since 9/11.

I truly believe, and I think it's rather inarguable, that the President could literally save lives if he got on TV right now and urged people, with empathy, to wear masks and social distance, and follow CDC and local guidelines.

I think it would literally save people I know and love.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

link?***

Dec 3, 2020, 8:43 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: link?***

Dec 3, 2020, 8:57 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: link?***

Dec 4, 2020, 7:40 AM [ in reply to link?*** ]

The link is to your brain. Most of us do not need a link to Newsmax or OAN to process information and make rational decisions.

Re: More people died yesterday, in one day, from COVID

Dec 3, 2020, 8:52 AM

and yet we still purchase chinese goods, and vote for a crook who takes bribes from them

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I didn’t vote for Ivanka!***

Dec 3, 2020, 9:38 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2020, 6:30 AM [ in reply to Re: More people died yesterday, in one day, from COVID ]

https://fortune.com/2020/10/22/donald-trump-chinese-bank-account/

these comparisons about the number of deaths

Dec 3, 2020, 8:57 AM

need to stop

9/11 terrorist attacks and covid19 are 2 different things

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Look how many people died on the Titanic vs how many

Dec 3, 2020, 9:06 AM

people died yesterday from COVID.

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Think about how many lives could have been saved had they

Dec 3, 2020, 9:32 AM

not social distanced on the lifeboats. Disgusting.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yup. Even Prod has fallen for the need to apply

Dec 3, 2020, 9:13 AM [ in reply to these comparisons about the number of deaths ]

marketing spin to a pandemic.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and he thinks a politician getting on tv will save lives***

Dec 3, 2020, 9:25 AM

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

I personally know many, many people

Dec 3, 2020, 10:59 AM

who I believe would start wearing a mask and social distancing more if the President urgently asked them to. They respect him that much.

Re: and he thinks a politician getting on tv will save lives***

Dec 4, 2020, 6:32 AM [ in reply to and he thinks a politician getting on tv will save lives*** ]

It actually would have. Trump's cult was convinced it was a hoax and that masks were for libs. Trump could have changed that immediately.

Let's try combat deaths in wars?

Dec 3, 2020, 9:16 AM [ in reply to these comparisons about the number of deaths ]

We just passed the Civil War (in COMBAT deaths). We will pass WW2 before Christmas.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We still haven't yet passed the number of all time

Dec 3, 2020, 9:20 AM

traffic accident deaths, so I hope these comparisons don't deter us from our goal of eliminating the car.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lives saved versus lost from automobiles?

Dec 3, 2020, 10:21 AM

Humm......

Either way, just as relevant as

Dec 3, 2020, 10:24 AM

People shooting at you or bombing you when it comes to discussing a virus.

Bayonets boys!!!***

Dec 3, 2020, 9:26 AM [ in reply to Let's try combat deaths in wars? ]

Wut? 620,000 people died in the civil war.

Dec 3, 2020, 10:25 AM [ in reply to Let's try combat deaths in wars? ]

When you say "we", do you mean world wide?

Re: these comparisons about the number of deaths

Dec 3, 2020, 9:29 AM [ in reply to these comparisons about the number of deaths ]

Wilmo,

I do not think that Prodigal is comparing the events. He is comparing the executive response to major events in our recent history.

That's the biggest stretch interpretation I've seen in

Dec 3, 2020, 9:33 AM

a while.

Every single "bigger than 9/11!!!" analogy ever is meant to evoke a visceral response.

Re: That's the biggest stretch interpretation I've seen in

Dec 3, 2020, 9:59 AM

well, invoking empathy for some, contempt in others I see.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How is it a "stretch interpretation"?

Dec 3, 2020, 11:01 AM [ in reply to That's the biggest stretch interpretation I've seen in ]

It's obviously what I was saying. Maybe it wasn't as obvious as I thought, though.

If I could prevent 9/11 or Covid, there's no question: Covid

Dec 3, 2020, 10:39 AM [ in reply to these comparisons about the number of deaths ]

And not just because I caught it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

Of course they are two different things.

Dec 3, 2020, 10:48 AM [ in reply to these comparisons about the number of deaths ]

Every comparison is between two different things. That's why it's a comparison. If the two things were the same, you'd just be saying the same thing twice, not comparing two things.

but comparing a terrorist attack vs a virus

Dec 3, 2020, 10:50 AM

is dumb

compare a virus vs a virus

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why?***

Dec 3, 2020, 10:55 AM

well

Dec 3, 2020, 5:03 PM

9/11 happened on a single day and it was caused by terrorists slamming planes into buildings and heroes forcing a plane into the ground

Also many of the deaths were first responders trying to save people stuck in buildings

covid19 deaths have occurred over 11-12 months and was probably not started on purpose

comparing covid19 to 9/11 is just stupid

My comparison was one day of deaths.

Dec 4, 2020, 6:24 AM

You are contrasting the two, which is just as OK as comparing the two.

Re: but comparing a terrorist attack vs a virus

Dec 3, 2020, 11:06 AM [ in reply to but comparing a terrorist attack vs a virus ]

I agree, but only because the virus is so much worse! Covid is as mindlessly deadly as Al Qaeda but far more effective, and requires much more from every citizen in order to defeat.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

There are relevant comparisons and irrelevant ones

Dec 3, 2020, 10:50 AM [ in reply to Of course they are two different things. ]

Yours was the latter.

What makes it irrelevant?***

Dec 3, 2020, 10:54 AM

A terrorist attack vs a virus. What makes it relevant?***

Dec 3, 2020, 6:02 PM

The relevance is that the numbers are similar.

Dec 4, 2020, 6:31 AM

Therefore it is an easy vehicle to contrast our reactions between to the two situations.

Sammy Sosa hit 63 home runs in 1999.

Dec 4, 2020, 6:42 AM [ in reply to A terrorist attack vs a virus. What makes it relevant?*** ]

He finished 9th in MVP voting. Babe Ruth hit 60 home runs in 1927 and was the most celebrate athlete in America.

I think it's interesting to compare those two home run totals, and the reaction they engendered.

You would say "Irrelevant. Babe Ruth vs. Sammy Sosa".

No, you're making my point for me here.

Dec 4, 2020, 8:10 AM

Based on what you're doing in this thread, you would say "Sammy Sosa hit 63 home runs in 1999, which is twice as many as the gallons of paint it takes to paint the bowling alley in the Biltmore House". It's meaningless because the two are only connected by having a number attached to them.

If you wish to make a relevant analogy like Ruth vs Sosa, you would need to compare a pandemic to another pandemic, like smallpox, Swine Flu, etc, which is EXACTLY what you're being encouraged to do in this thread.

When you aren't doing that, you're just bringing up an emotional event to shamelessly evoke an emotional response to something wholly unrelated....it's manipulative and discredits your argument to those paying attention.

OK.

Dec 4, 2020, 8:15 AM

I completely and unequivocally disagree, but there's not much more I can say.

Fair enough, I can only explain it so many times.....***

Dec 4, 2020, 8:19 AM

I fully understand what you are saying...

Dec 4, 2020, 8:21 AM

I just completely disagree with it.

I get it that you don't understand my explanation, which

Dec 4, 2020, 8:27 AM

is perfectly analogous to how some Germans didn't understand it when Hitler began murdering innocent Jews. Both sadden me.

(See what I did there?)

Half the country would do the opposite of Trump.

Dec 3, 2020, 9:01 AM

Everyone is so divided, I can't imagine that people on the other side would listen to anything that Trump has to say.

He doesn't have anything to say. That's the problem.***

Dec 3, 2020, 9:05 AM

The opposite of what Trump says is currently a safe bet.***

Dec 3, 2020, 9:12 AM [ in reply to Half the country would do the opposite of Trump. ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Trump says tdrake should keep posting about running.***

Dec 3, 2020, 9:21 AM

^^^POTD^^^***

Dec 3, 2020, 9:27 AM

My posts about running must be part of the Mandela Effect.***

Dec 3, 2020, 9:33 AM [ in reply to Trump says tdrake should keep posting about running.*** ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You running in them new Stouffer's running shoes?***

Dec 3, 2020, 9:34 AM

No, but I ate their stuffing on Thanksgiving.***

Dec 3, 2020, 9:44 AM

No, they wouldn't.

Dec 3, 2020, 10:56 AM [ in reply to Half the country would do the opposite of Trump. ]

All the President has to do is demonstrate agreement with everyone else, including his own administration.

They can count covid deaths in a matter of hours

Dec 3, 2020, 9:24 AM

But take 5 weeks to count votes

weird

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let’s do the math: 155,000,000 > 2,500 using appropriate nos***

Dec 3, 2020, 9:36 AM

Dec 3, 2020, 9:27 AM

Prod,

And the saddest thing is, as simple as that would be, his ego wouldn't stand the slight bruise - even though it would save thousands of lives.

In the same way that many of his followers refuse to wear masks for some imagined threat to their freedumb.

How do the covid deaths in the last hour compare to the

Dec 3, 2020, 9:56 AM

death count from the Challenger explosion?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Greater than Challenger and that ferry that capsized

Dec 3, 2020, 9:58 AM

COMBINED.

HOW MANY MORE ASTRONAUT TEACHERS ARE WE WILLING TO KILL????

Covid, under Trump is like a Columbine every second***

Dec 3, 2020, 10:21 AM

Re: Covid, under Trump is like a Columbine every second***

Dec 4, 2020, 7:15 AM

It's like Little Bighorn 10 times a day.

The worldwide total of COVID deaths has now eclipsed

Dec 3, 2020, 10:00 AM [ in reply to How do the covid deaths in the last hour compare to the ]

conservative estimates of deaths in Cambodia under Pol Pot's reign! Jesus Christ Trump, can we get some science PLZ!!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm a simple man.

Dec 3, 2020, 10:20 AM

I see a funny asian name like Pol Pot, Chairman Mao, or Hirohito, I award a point.

Either Pol or get off the Pot, nomsayin?***

Dec 3, 2020, 10:23 AM

Dec 4, 2020, 7:55 AM

Whether it’s Covid, the Russia hoax, the border wall, saving coal jobs, Muslim ban, climate denial, race baiting, etc., the Trump presidency has just exposed how vulnerable and gullible some people are. This has nothing to do with politics. Trump is not a Republican. Trump is an excellent con artist and mediocre salesman and he thoroughly conned about 70 million people. I see it in some 70 and 80 year old folks I know. They are good honest people but have no idea they are being conned by Trump and Fox News for last few years of their life. Pretty sad. But don’t worry, our democratic system, or republic, whatever you wanna call it, is much stronger than any individual, and much stronger than Trump. He will dwindle into irrelevance. His kids don’t “have it”, they are going nowhere politically. Very soon, order will be restored. We will no longer have a puppet for an attorney general and we will have honest American citizens governing.

Dec 4, 2020, 7:55 AM

Whether it’s Covid, the Russia hoax, the border wall, saving coal jobs, Muslim ban, climate denial, race baiting, etc., the Trump presidency has just exposed how vulnerable and gullible some people are. This has nothing to do with politics. Trump is not a Republican. Trump is an excellent con artist and mediocre salesman and he thoroughly conned about 70 million people. I see it in some 70 and 80 year old folks I know. They are good honest people but have no idea they are being conned by Trump and Fox News for last few years of their life. Pretty sad. But don’t worry, our democratic system, or republic, whatever you wanna call it, is much stronger than any individual, and much stronger than Trump. He will dwindle into irrelevance. His kids don’t “have it”, they are going nowhere politically. Very soon, order will be restored. We will no longer have a puppet for an attorney general and we will have honest American citizens governing.

I personally know so many older people

Dec 4, 2020, 8:03 AM

who don't take the virus seriously enough for their own health. It's heart-breaking. They are listening to bad voices.

Replies: 62
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic