Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Venables: "I would have stayed for a lot less"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

FB Update: Venables: "I would have stayed for a lot less"

Mar 4, 2015, 8:09 PM

Venables: "I would have stayed for a lot less"

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and worth every penny of the $ amount of that contract, and

Mar 4, 2015, 8:19 PM

the years, also. i hope it also includes a hefty buy/opt out clause in it, unless ,of course,bv gets a good hc gig, which he deserves (if he wants that position.)

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think he goes to KState when Snyder finally retires

Mar 4, 2015, 8:34 PM

And had Venables asked for more from the fanbase, I know I wouldnt hesitate to add to the collection plate.

Re: I think he goes to KState when Snyder finally retires

Mar 4, 2015, 8:36 PM

I bet he don't!!! Its the same with him as it is with most everybody that comes to Clemson. Its something in those hills that just grabs people and holds them there....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think he goes to KState when Snyder finally retires

Mar 5, 2015, 8:32 AM

Well except for Morris & Rodriguez...but that's fine. Top-tier talent is usually mobile and pushing for the next great thing.

If he continues to be this successful, odds are he'll leave to be a HC at some point. Maybe not, but it seems very possible. But that's ok. It'd just be a testament to how well we've done recently. Let's just hope he's not itching to leave anytime soon.

And that is why Venables is worth a lot more!!!

Mar 4, 2015, 8:31 PM

Go Tigers!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FB Update: Venables: "I would have stayed for a lot less"

Mar 4, 2015, 8:34 PM

I don't think that more money would get BV out of Clemson, and I love it that he said that they had what ever they needed, that Clemson didn't take a back seat to anyone!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow. We're very fortunate, as are the kids who get to

Mar 4, 2015, 8:42 PM

learn under him.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why in the sports realm is "humble" synonymous with honor?

Mar 4, 2015, 10:45 PM

I wish I could be humbled by 1.35 million dollars a year.

They're generally synonymous in all realms.***

Mar 4, 2015, 10:48 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why in the sports realm is "humble" synonymous with honor?

Mar 4, 2015, 11:34 PM [ in reply to Why in the sports realm is "humble" synonymous with honor? ]

I've wondered the same thing. Being humbled usually means being brought low or down a notch. It's the opposite of pride. Losing badly is a humbling experience and you don't think so highly of yourself after that. If Clemson said, "hey Coach, we'll keep you, but only pay you half of what you made last year", that would be humbling in my opinion...

I've never understood why players say things like "I'm humbled to be mentioned alongside such-and-such great player"... Sounds like an insult..."I thought I was great until you compared me to Michael Jordan...now I feel humbled"...

Then again, I was no English major...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Being humbled is different than feeling humbled.

Mar 5, 2015, 12:00 AM

My take on it is that when someone "feels" humbled, or expresses that they're humbled, they're deflecting an honor away from themselves as an individual and relating to others whom they feel are just as capable and responsible for the good fortune at hand. Just like there's no pride in "being" humbled, feeling humbled is shucking the pride that goes along with an accolade and acknowledging that you're just out there doing your job and busting tail like many others.

Being humbled brings one down to earth. Feeling humbled is knowing you're on the ground with everybody else already, just so happens that you've got innate talents and skills that separate you from the rest in whatever area that's getting attention.

Re: Being humbled is different than feeling humbled.

Mar 5, 2015, 7:16 AM

Not bad!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But I hope we did give a healthy raise to his "get back" guy LOL.

Mar 4, 2015, 11:41 PM

Dude may be the hardest working sideline cop in the FBS......

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: But I hope we did give a healthy raise to his "get back" guy LOL.

Mar 5, 2015, 7:20 AM

He definitely earns his pay on game day. Not a knock on BV at all, because I love his passion. He is one wired guy and a great example for our players, but I don't ever recall a HC being that animated on game day during the game. I wonder if that may hurt him down the road in being considered for some of the more "prestigious" head coaching jobs. Not saying, just asking.

We could have spent some of that money on basketball.***

Mar 4, 2015, 11:59 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Why? This is the best our basketball program has ever been.***

Mar 5, 2015, 12:17 AM

Re: Why? This is the best our basketball program has ever been.***

Mar 5, 2015, 7:14 AM

^^^^^LOL - now that right there is funny.

Mar 5, 2015, 7:25 AM [ in reply to Why? This is the best our basketball program has ever been.*** ]

I do believe we have accomplished more on several occasions than we have this year. I believe we had better results at times under Rick Barnes and Cliff Ellis to name a couple. I do see us making progress, but it has been a painfully slow wait at Clemson between "successes".

Mar 5, 2015, 12:54 PM

There have been some individual teams that were better... have we ever had a better 4 years run comparing wins in the ACC? I do not remember a 4 year run where we were not one of the worse 2 or 3 teams in the ACC?

Mar 5, 2015, 2:20 PM

I really don't recall. I know we have had much, much worse 4 year periods, though. This team is a screaming success compared to some of the teams we have put on the floor. I just hope Brad Brownell can get another couple of great players to be on the floor at the same time for a few years so we could build a lot of confidence and get fan support at a higher level. Then, it might just take wings and fly.

Nope, not even close***

Mar 12, 2015, 7:39 PM [ in reply to Why? This is the best our basketball program has ever been.*** ]

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

This kind of loyalty......

Mar 5, 2015, 4:50 AM

Will resonate AND speak volumes to highly sought after recruits!!

Mark it down

Go Tigers!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

More evidence

Mar 5, 2015, 11:34 AM

of how bad DRad is at negotiating contracts.

Glad we've got Venables and he's absolutely worth what he's getting paid, but if he would've stayed for less that means DRad didn't negotiate very hard.

haha.***

Mar 5, 2015, 11:34 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: More evidence

Mar 5, 2015, 1:04 PM [ in reply to More evidence ]

DRad did not negotiate. DRad and Swinney decided what Venables was worth to Clemson then looked at what another school might offer him next year and offered him a contract with that figured in and he accepted the offer. Why would you low ball an employee that we would pay more than what we offered if he had asked.

If you know what you are willing to pay to keep a man then pay the man that and he might not start looking for another gig. We also wanted a long term deal.

We are breaking in new OCs we want stability on the D!

I had a supervisor tell me that no one in the company could get a raise more that once a year... 6 months later I gave my notice and he offered me a 20% raise...I asked him why he had told us, I could not get a raise that year if it was not true. I had already made plans for moving on. The offer was too late. These coaches at Clemson are really good and if we do not pay them what the market will offer someone else will!

Mar 5, 2015, 1:22 PM

Why not have a number in mind that you're willing to go up to, and then call him in and ask what it'll take to make him stay long term. If he says a number lower than what you were willing to give him, it's a win-win.

Mar 5, 2015, 2:26 PM

I think it is a win, win now. We got who we want, and we paid him what we must he happy paying him, and he is very satisfied with the offer, as well. I want him compensated to a level that only a huge HC job lures him away.

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic