Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
With all due respect to The Chad
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

With all due respect to The Chad

Sep 25, 2012, 5:33 PM

You've got to run the ball more. You've got to. Especially when adversity hits. You can't put all the pressure on your quarterback and have quick 3 and outs when your defense is obviously over-matched. We don't always need quick tempo, and with what we've got on defense we need to slow down sometimes and make sure there are less possessions in the game so there's less chances for our defense to screw the pooch. Our offense will get theirs. Don't make it easier for theirs to do the same by giving them more chances.

We can always speed up when we need to since we practice and preach tempo tempo tempo. Our offense is good enough and consistent enough to where we can manage the game to fit the number of possessions we want our defense to have to suffer through. With FSU, we needed to slow the #### game down, given BV and his boys time to get settled and adjust, and let each good play or stop our guys made mean more to the game (if that makes any sense).

We got beat by a team that was better than us. But that doesn't mean we managed the game as well as we could have either.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Send him an email and let him know, you just might save his

Sep 25, 2012, 5:34 PM

job

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Send him an email and let him know, you just might save his

Sep 25, 2012, 5:40 PM

Of course you realize that you run the up tempo to keep your opponent from making changes between plays. Slow it down and you will have a different defensive lineup with each play.

Then we'll change our play to beat their defense.

Sep 25, 2012, 5:44 PM

We can play smart too.

More rushes for Sammy!

Sep 25, 2012, 5:54 PM

Wow he looks good from a handoff too! GO TIGERS IMPROVE DEFENSE RUN SAMMY MORE AND WIN!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What happened to the shovel pass?

Sep 25, 2012, 6:22 PM

Seemed like it was the going thing a few years back, can't recall the last time I saw it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKxtkCxErCU

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What happened to the shovel pass?

Sep 25, 2012, 6:38 PM

Actually Boyd did a shorter version of a shovel pass at least 2 times in the game. The real problem is the shovel pass is designed to pass it when the DL have penetrated the line. Kind of like a screen but if the DL picks it up and it does more time than not it could lead to and incomplete pass or worse a Interception.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What happened to the shovel pass?

Sep 25, 2012, 6:51 PM [ in reply to What happened to the shovel pass? ]

WVU used them all up in the OB !!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

agree..***

Sep 25, 2012, 6:38 PM

High tempo

Sep 25, 2012, 6:47 PM

Is for better teams with depth (ex. Fsu ) so they can't switch out players, wear the defense down then you hit them with the home run, it sucks thou playing in a hurry up offense as an offensive lineman I tore my acl last year on the 9 yard line after we drove it down from the opposing 4

Um, runs don't guarantee you won't have 3 and outs.***

Sep 25, 2012, 6:49 PM

More clock runoff and less posessions, less strain on D***

Sep 25, 2012, 10:31 PM

Re: With all due respect to The Chad

Sep 25, 2012, 6:55 PM

wow - and here I was thinking we could just improve the D and make everything better. What was I thinking?

agreed to a degree

Sep 25, 2012, 6:56 PM

After we get a 2 score lead on a team thats having its way with our D we should stop going for the big play and dink and dunk the ball down the field and increase TOP. You have to help the D out this year. You dont necessarily need to run the ball but jus keeping the chains moving instead of going for the score is sometimes the best defense you can have. If we could have had three long drives in the second half the D wouldnt have been as badly gashed imo.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

This is game 4....

Sep 25, 2012, 7:57 PM

With our D, going against our O all year, and all off season...
No way, should our D wear down.....esp. since our O scored 37 points....the only humdinger we had was at the beginning of the game with Hopkins.
Line up. Hit somebody, and do it again.
Going against our boys, our D should still be in shape by game 4.... if not,
they've been hitting Wendy's on 123 too much...I love my Tigers, but trust the coaches....you need the conditioning for this team...trust in your coaches. Sometimes, thats more conditioning, than strength....look at Oregon - which, by the way had a DE committed thats our our roster..
He's on ours and not sniffing two deep.

Message was edited by: WNCTiger11®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WNCTiger11

Sep 25, 2012, 8:01 PM

That was a sensible post...prepared to get hammered.

Sep 25, 2012, 8:59 PM

Chad has been great for the team, but I honestly think at times Chad gets more caught up in "his" goals than whats best for the team overall. When I say "his" goals, I dont mean it selfishly, but I mean running the plays he wants to run, running "x" number of plays, being up tempo.

Case in point- against Auburn, with 3 minutes left and a lead, we are snapping the ball w 20+ seconds on the play clock. Against SCU last year and FSU this year, we had success on the ground but it was like he couldn't fight the urge to get more exotic with the play calls. Sometimes we need less sizzle and more steak.

I think there's some truth to that...

Sep 25, 2012, 10:03 PM

But let's cut to the chase here, Morris is an excellent offensive mind. He has uplifted our program without question.

But like you said, it seems we need a little more focus on slowing it down when situations dictate it. When you get a 2 touchdown lead in the 3rd quarter, let's try to get a couple 5-8 minute drives. Run the clock. No need to push so hard for a 21 point lead. Take your time, slow it down, and still get the score.

That's not to say Morris doesn't fully understand this. He did exactly this when he was at Tulsa.. He had a very good mix of run and pass, and he had a more balanced time of possession. Plus he always speaks about being a physical spread. So I know he knows.

I'm not sure if he's now like a kid in candy store, with all the weapons he has out there, or if he lacks confidence in our offense's ability (at least at this point) to bully it's way down the field, or if he's being greedy. I don't think it's being greedy, then again when we had a 14-pt lead on FSU and things were working, it did look like he wanted to go for the jugular.

But yeah, it seems there's a time and place to slow it down and milk the clock. You can still run a lot of plays by getting first downs. Sometimes slowly bleeding the opponent is the most effective way to demoralize them. Hopefully we can see more of that as the season progresses and the oline matures.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic