Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
More D-Day Info
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 1

More D-Day Info

Jun 6, 2019, 8:58 AM

This info from the June 2019 issue of the American Legion Magazine.

156,000+ Troops from the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, France, Norway and other Allied
Nations.

5 Beaches ----Utah, Omaha, Gold, Juno and Sword.

6,000 Ships and landing craft.

50,000 Vehicles

11,000 Airplanes

12,004 Total number killed, wounded, missing or captured. US 8,230, UK 2,700, Canada 1,074.

326,000 Allied troops who crossed by June 11 plus 100,000 tons of military equipment.

496,777 US WW2 veterans living in 2018

WW2 veterans are dying at a fast rate because of age and infirmities. I would assume the number still surviving is probably approaching about 400,000. That's about 2.5% of the 16,000,000 who served during WW2. There are not many of us left.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you, Joe, for being our historian for the Greatest

Jun 6, 2019, 9:24 AM

Generation. I cannot thank you enough for your service to this country.

These figures are overwhelming, and take a while to sink into the mind...and the heart.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Thanks... in more ways than one

Jun 6, 2019, 9:42 AM

As prior military from the 70's it still amazes me to read what the regular soldier went through in WWII let alone the 11B's. I have spoken with many WWII vets that were in Burma with the Merrill's Marauders. What they had to do daily just to make it through the jungle, let alone in combat, is astounding.

Non-Military simply don't understand or can comprehend the daily life in the military as enlisted without experiencing it. I understand serving in peacetime and the stress related to that as an enlisted guy. I can't imagine or even comprehend being dumped on a beach, wading through the water with all your gear being shot at with no place to fight from. Just having to move forward into even deadlier ground. The term "greatest generation" doesn't even begin to reflect the courage needed to live through that experience or what the "next generation" lived through in Korea, Vietnam, Gulf Wars, Afghanistan and now...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

News from USuC...
"Richardson was the 20th Gamecock arrested since Spurrier was hired in Nov. 2004"

Fluxus®
"As I watched the game yesterday I couldn't help but feel crushed. We beat Furman by 4 TDs, but to me it looked like we got whipped."

"George Bush, we are reliably informed by the media, has the IQ of a moron, though how he matriculated from Yale and Harvard or flew an F-106 will remain an unexplained mystery. Doubtless his father bribed the airplane to fly itself."

^ Maybe a good reason that Every young person (17-20?)...

Jun 6, 2019, 10:01 AM

be involved in serving in the armed forces part-time for a short period..thru classes & training..such as the ROTC programs at colleges.

The Israeli's seem to have this perfected.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 3
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic