Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
More Big 12 Expansion Speculation. Clemson the #1 Target.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

More Big 12 Expansion Speculation. Clemson the #1 Target.

May 10, 2012, 7:16 AM

http://jugofsnyder.com/2012/05/09/big-12-to-expand-back-to-12-by-summers-end/

Big 12 Conference commissioner Bob Bowlsby is apparently diving right into the deep end of the conference expansion pool. I was told that “back channel” contact is currently taking place with five high major schools, with regards to joining the Big 12 conference. These lines of communication have been opened with Clemson, Maryland, Florida State, Georgia Tech, and Notre Dame.

It is anticipated that two of those five will join before summer’s end, two of those five will be invited to join the Big 12. (There is also an outside chance that a combination of Brigham Young for football, with Notre Dame in all other sports could be combined with one of the other four schools. But it’s definitely an outside chance.) Initial contact has been made with all of the schools, and none of the five have closed the door on the possibility. Georgia Tech is a bit lukewarm, based upon the relative academic reputations of the ACC and the Big 12.

Notre Dame is reportedly talking to the ACC as well, but has qualms about going that route, given the revenue disparity between the ACC’s new ESPN deal and the one the Big 12 agreed to with ESPN/Fox. The Big 12?s deal offers $20 million annually per team, with escalators that could raise that figure to as much as $23-25 million, should the Big 12 find attractive expansion candidates. Meanwhile, the ACC’s deal is not only for less annual money, at “only” $17 million per team, but includes all three tiers of television rights, meaning that a school like Notre Dame would be deprived of a potentially lucrative revenue stream that their third-tier rights would provide.

The other schools–Atlantic Coast Conference members all–have expressed unqualified interest in continuing the discussion of switching conferences. Asked to rank the expansion candidates, the person I talked to placed them in the following order, based on a combination of the school’s interest in joining the conference, and the conference’s interest in having them:

1) Clemson
2) Florida State
3) Maryland
4) Notre Dame*
5) Georgia Tech

Reportedly, if the Big 12 was to warm up to a ND/BYU combination, that would jump up the list considerably. At this point, however, Big 12 officials are more interested in using the leverage of the new 4-team playoff to force Notre Dame out of their comfort zone of football independence.

It would appear that we are now headed into another summer of realignment. But with an aggressive new commissioner in the driver’s seat, the Big 12 appears ready to be driving the bus this time, instead of just desperately trying to get out of the way.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: More Big 12 Expansion Speculation. Clemson the #1 Target.

May 10, 2012, 7:26 AM

Written by a youth pastor. Not sure how connected he could be.

Jonathan Clubb, Staff Writer – Jonathan was brought on as the staff writer at JoS in December of 2010. He is a huge fan of Kansas State University (where he attended for 2 1/2 years), the Kansas City Chiefs, and the Kansas City Royals . That love for mid-west teams, which started as a kid growing up in Kansas, has only gotten stronger through the last 7 years of living near Los Angeles, CA where he believes that there is no such thing as a true sports fan. When not attending to his K-State habit, he is a full time youth pastor and motorcycle nut.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 10, 2012, 7:27 AM

Not sure what I think about such a move, but at least it seems the Big 12 wants us. More than the ACC for sure.

May 10, 2012, 8:01 AM

Seems to me that a 4 team playoff scenario favors ND staying independent. I heat they will take the conference champions only if they are in the top 6 of the RPI. Therefore, ND has as good as shot as a conference member at the playoffs.

If ND and Clemson both joined the BIG XII

May 10, 2012, 8:59 AM

it would be weird watching that game for some reason. The whole idea of Clemson being outside of the ACC and playing other teams each week just seems so surreal!

If this does happen which team would you rather see go to the Big XII with us?

Still no legitimate sources to believe.***

May 10, 2012, 8:38 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We are not going to the big 12

May 10, 2012, 8:50 AM

We are going independent.

haha! what would your independent schedule look like?***

May 10, 2012, 9:00 AM

Baloney

May 10, 2012, 9:27 AM [ in reply to We are not going to the big 12 ]

There is absolutely no way Clemson would go independent.

Re: We are not going to the big 12

May 10, 2012, 9:35 AM [ in reply to We are not going to the big 12 ]

Whatever you're smoking, I want some of it.

I like his source: "the person I talked to"***

May 10, 2012, 9:38 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Notre Dame may have qualms about going to the ACC, but the

May 10, 2012, 1:21 PM

last thing they are worried about is the the TV deal the ACC signed. Everyone knows Notre Dame would bring a financial windfall to any conference they would join.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic