Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
More 5 points shenanigans, I feel bad for coot students
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

More 5 points shenanigans, I feel bad for coot students

Dec 5, 2013, 9:06 PM

COLUMBIA, SC — Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott told a University of South Carolina honors class that members of the Bloods, a nationally recognized gang, have played a violent game called “knockout” in Five Points.

The comments, which were published Thursday morning in the university’s student newspaper, The Daily Gamecock, were unusual for a couple of reasons. First, Lott has always refused to name the gang operating in Five Points, saying he did not want to give it publicity or credit. Second, it was the first report of the violent game, called “knockout,” being played in the Midlands.

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/2013/12/05/3141186/are-reports-of-the-knockout-game.html#storylink=cpy

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

City of columbia PD too busy trying to arrest some college

Dec 5, 2013, 9:13 PM

student for drinking instead of arresting gang members. They wouldn't want to be accused of racial profiling.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: City of columbia PD too busy trying to arrest some college

Dec 5, 2013, 9:18 PM

I simply don't understand how Columbia/SLED can't have a task force providing ample coverage of the 5 points area for this very thing.

It seems when you have a problem as big as this, you might try to do something to address it? I've only been to five points a handful of times since it got really bad, and it seems like every other time I'm there I see/witness/am a part of scuffles with these cretins. They're not worthy of being in the same vicinity as college students, much less running the #### streets in the most lively area in the city.

The law enforcement down there is nothing short of a joke. A city of less than 200K people and you got the bloods running the streets? How infuriatingly incompetent. A bunch of good old boys who are plenty good at politics, but are generally idiots and have no clue how to protect their constituency.

One night, circa '98, I did the responsible thing leaving

Dec 5, 2013, 9:26 PM

my car in 5 points and caught a ride-not wanting to drive after a night out. When I went back to get it the next morning, there was a concrete block in my back seat with glass everywhere. The ######## stole my Sony Walkman.

i'm born and raised there.....let me explain

Dec 5, 2013, 9:54 PM [ in reply to Re: City of columbia PD too busy trying to arrest some college ]

Columbia is a moderate sized city with major urban problems. The biggest issue, other than the hoodlum issue, is the fact that the City of Columbia has, for YEARS, been led by "big fish in a little pond" mentality "leaders" who see themselves as suit wearing power brokers when in reality, they are a joke compared to some of the city leader types from other areas. If you think it's a Dem/Rep issue, you are a fool. It's virtually ALL of them. The true educated talent that comes out of Columbia, by and large, leaves. The Police Chief job, for example, has almost always been either an incestuous appointment or a national search that gets the "B" squad talent because there ain't no way in hell they're ever going to allow someone to come in there and REALLY clean house. All the politicos in City Govt. there have got to make sure they still can have their "fellas" in place they can benefit from. This type of BS happens all over the place but in a city the size of Columbia it's comical how inept they are at covering it up. They get just what they ask for there and the chickens will always come home to roost there because if you are really a person of integrity, independent thinking, full of drive and passion, etc., you will get driven out of there. In fact, the entire State govt. is plagued with this. I was a Trooper from '97 to '03 with SCHP and, though i miss some of the fellas and the job from time to time, the Patrol and all of its smothering politics and State govt. politics drove me back home.....right back into the Marine Corps where I belong...where mediocrity and "who you know" doesn't mean a #### thing. In Columbia, it means EVERY SINGLE THING.....unfortunately, in our state, it usually does as well, if you are affiliated with govt. agencies in any form or fashion. It's pathetic.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice write up. Thanks for the background info.***

Dec 5, 2013, 10:07 PM

Interesting take and something I somewhat expected. +1.***

Dec 5, 2013, 10:15 PM [ in reply to i'm born and raised there.....let me explain ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: City of columbia PD too busy trying to arrest some college

Dec 6, 2013, 12:17 AM [ in reply to Re: City of columbia PD too busy trying to arrest some college ]

Coverage isn't really the issue. There is always a heavy police presence on weekends.

Most of them are looking for kids to trip on the sidewalk or walk out the bar with an open container though.

Re: More 5 points shenanigans, I feel bad for coot students

Dec 5, 2013, 9:24 PM

“We don’t want to cause panic,” she said. “We’ve had enough problems in Five Points without having misinformation being spread.”

Jennifer Timmons is part of the problem. Nothing more than a puppet.

Oh, Jen...you don't want to cause a panic? Columbia is NOT a big city. Have your boys do their FREAKING JOB.

a puppet she is....unfortunately so are virtually all

Dec 5, 2013, 10:27 PM

of the other "spokesmen" of every single city, county, state govt. agencies in SC, ESPECIALLY in law enforcement agencies or involving LE issues. They are nothing but PR agents in place to put on a good face despite the reality. Damage control is an art they have a PhD in. The worst one in the state when i worked there is Sid Gaulden with DPS. Most of them would sell their souls to keep a job with a coat and tie that enables them to rub elbows with someone they can benefit from.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Be glad you don't live here

Dec 5, 2013, 9:30 PM

The local gun range and CWP licenses are booming!

Re: Be glad you don't live here

Dec 5, 2013, 11:09 PM

Hopefully they'll turn things around, but I'm afraid it's too far gone.

Re: Be glad you don't live here

Dec 5, 2013, 11:23 PM

I don't live in Columbia but in Sumter 40 mins away. There are several issue with the Col PD but mainly they have to get permission from the city mgr and city council. I don't care who they hire as chief he/she cannot run a dept like that, give someone the job and let them do it. Leon Lott says he can't devote a lot of resources to the problem. Why? You are the sheriff of Richland Co. Isn't Columbia in Richland Co. and those citizens that live in the city limits also help elect you. The Sheriff's dept can go and enforce the laws in the city limits. You see there is serious issues in the Col PD so do the job you were hired to do.

Sounds like the sheriff is the only straight shooter***

Dec 5, 2013, 11:56 PM

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic