Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Money Doesn't Always Equate to wins...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Money Doesn't Always Equate to wins...

Apr 25, 2013, 10:25 AM

I was reading Mikey's lost hope article and for a moment I felt like I needed to get a pitcher of cheap beer, put on a Johnny Cash song (A really depressing one) and just throw in the towel....

Fortunately I chose not to do that. There are several schools that make vulgar money in college football and are not getting the job done.....Starting with the school at the top of the public school food chain in Texas. With the cash that they generate, Alabama should be in their rear view mirror just hoping to keeping stride.

I can ramble off all types of examples of insanely wealthy schools in a perpetual funk of mediocrity in spite of its financial success.... Didn't GT just defeated the pre-season national title contender USC?

Out of a nation of 315 million people, when a team can only have 85 scholarships that talent cannot all go the school with the deepest pockets.

Clemson, because of it's central location on the East Coast, great campus and stadium doesn't need to have the same money other places need to impress people.

As long and we are willing to pay well for good coaches, top dollar for coordinators, the resume's will continue to flow. Venables probably could have went to more wealthy schools and still can.....but he is at Clemson.

Players want to play for certain coaches, certain schemes and their parents want to be able to come and watch their games.....not many schools can offer that and be in the middle of one the best recruiting beds in the nation....

We are fine and the ACC I believe in a rising star.....

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

Now why would you want to try to ruin

Apr 25, 2013, 10:31 AM

the pity party for all the Debbie Downers??

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

I couldn't help myself....lol***

Apr 25, 2013, 10:34 AM

Re: Money Doesn't Always Equate to wins...it only equates

Apr 25, 2013, 10:35 AM

if you pay your players which most of the SEC does. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's not working at most SEC Schools...See UT***

Apr 25, 2013, 10:38 AM

tejas was the last non-sec team to win it all & played for

Apr 25, 2013, 10:42 AM

another in 2009.

they can pay a coach any amount of money they want. they will fire brown, pay someone $6mil/year and not even flinch.

no, money doesn't guarantee wins, but it sure makes it easier to pay for your mistakes or fix any shortcomings.

see ND paying off 2 coaches & hiring kelly for $3mil+ a year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Texas, Like Auburn had one Player that won it for them...

Apr 25, 2013, 10:46 AM

What did Texas do before Vince Young and what has happened after Vince Young?....Did Mack Brown build a great program or just have one great player and the most important position...like Cam Newton at Auburn?.....

You make a fair point....but with that kind of money..Texas should have an Alabama type program....as for Notre Dame, they have had insane money for decades but it took the 20 plus years to get back

they played for the natty championship without young or

Apr 25, 2013, 10:48 AM

didn't you notice?

dear lord when is winning one & playing for another in the last 6-7 years a bad thing?

we'd all have to change our shorts if that was clemson we were talking about.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Look at out 1981 championship year....

Apr 25, 2013, 10:55 AM

I was there and it was great....But having nearly a decade of domination afterward was just as great. I don't know if you were around to see just how powerful our program was but it was a heck of a thing....

Only one team can win it all and I want to be there...but I equally want a team that every year is in the hunt and we are better of than Texas is right now and for the next several years from what I can see......

1981 in college football has nothing to do with 2013 in cfb.

Apr 25, 2013, 11:09 AM

it's changed. it's changed a lot. bcs, now playoff and the monies have gone thru the roofesses.

why do you and/or anyone else feel the need to 'burn' down another's house to make yours more attractive? first you crap on tejas for not 'winning', but they have crystal & played for another, then you change your tune and say clemson is better situated in the moment and for the near future.

if you like where clemson is at the moment, awesome, i do too, but let's not kid ourselves or attack tejas. if an acc network comes to fruition that generates an additional $XXXmil/year for clemson's program, we are not turning it down because we find ourselves happy with where we are today.

we'd fall all over ourselves cashing that check.

Re: 1981 in college football has nothing to do with 2013 in cfb.

Apr 25, 2013, 11:25 AM

coaching has to remain a factor in the discussion. mack brown needs to be replaced and every year he stays gets texas further behind. a&m has moved into a very favorable position because of texas lack of success AND becuse of sumlins coaching. nd as mentioned has made some questionable coaching moves but now seems to be ok but academics or high standards to get in have hurt them some in the past. it takes money to make money but you also have to work smart, which means getting the best coach that suits your school and situation.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sure it does, it's why ucla can fire their bball coach after

Apr 25, 2013, 11:40 AM

having so much success.

tejas won't wait much longer. tamu winning on the field & having the heisman winner will only hasten brown's demise if he can't turn it around.

it's texas though. if you like recruiting polls they haven't suffered with 2013 only down because of total commits; they still out-starred tamu.

in the end, they have the $ to address things quick, fast & in a hurry when they so wish; still and i agree, no guarantees.

One other point... Clemson is at an inherit disadvantage

Apr 25, 2013, 10:53 AM

compared to the larger schools in fundraising $$, but have been able to hold our own pretty well. Most of the Big 10 schools have MANY more alumni walking around out there than we do. Even South Carolina University has 30k+ students compared to our $17k-18k.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

silence infidel!!!!...

Apr 25, 2013, 11:13 AM

photo ikeelu_zps24a94b75.jpg

i keel u!

Waaa! Waaa! Him hurt my feelings!

Apr 25, 2013, 11:21 AM

Re: Money Doesn't Always Equate to wins...

I do agree with the OP but the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. In todays cfb world - more $$$ is better. Should someone come and offer Morris or Venables $2M to be their coordinator - they prob won't go - but I'm sure they'd think about it. The proverbial arms race.

On the other side of the coin (& I hate to even use them as an example) ... all that SEC $$$ hasn't hurt SUC.

Some other examples:

1. The LA Lakers in basketball. Yeah they've won alot of championships, but they still have their down years.
2. Yankees in baseball. Despite having the biggest payroll in MLB, it has been what- 10 years or more since their last world series?
3. Red Sox in MlB as well.

Yes all of these teams have won championships and money is part of it, but it does not guarantee domination indefinitely. There is still an ebb and flow of players getting injured, star players getting worse with age, etc. that prevents the big money teams from winning forever.

In professional sports, however it's a bit different.

Apr 25, 2013, 12:49 PM

Money directly buys player services, which isn't like college where it's supposed to buy the perks that make perspective players like you enough to sign up.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 25, 2013, 11:32 AM

Trust that if our Tigers were to go out and Stun everyone to win the national title this season the landscape would start to shift. I for one hope for this scenario.

My thoughts exacctly....very well said

Apr 25, 2013, 1:24 PM

+1 to you!

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic