Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
General Update: ACC presidents approve grant of rights
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

General Update: ACC presidents approve grant of rights

Apr 22, 2013, 2:18 PM

ACC presidents approve grant of rights

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I guess we're not going anywhere for a long time

Apr 22, 2013, 2:26 PM

Mixed emotions about whether that's good or bad.

Re: I guess we're not going anywhere for a long time

Apr 22, 2013, 2:45 PM

yes me too. I for one hate all this expansion crap and was much happier when all conferences were regionally based. I do not like the current state of ACC football in general but if we are all in it together then fine. Lets push everyone in the conference to unite and make it a priority.
We need for at least 8 to 10 schools to really step it up.

Therein lies the recipe for success in football within

Apr 22, 2013, 4:30 PM

the ACC...other member schools to step it up, as you say. There is no reason for Clemson, FSU, VT, and Miami not to continue building; no reason for LV, GT, UNC and NC State not to make the efforts; Pitt and the Cuse should take this new-found opportunity to strengthen. That leaves UVA, Duke, BC and WF, and of those, UVA should be encouraged. Simply put, take a healthy chunk of your TV dollars and put them into your football programs. Confer with and visit other member schools for advice, expand your recruiting, promote your brand. The conference can not be successful only through the efforts of a couple...

And if nothing else, ensure that characters like Coach K understand where the friggin' money comes from...IT'S FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Therein lies the recipe for success in football within

Apr 22, 2013, 5:24 PM

FWIW- I'm ecstatic about the GOR, b/c it makes it much less likely that the conference rivalries I've known all my life are going away any time soon. Plus Death Valley will continue to be the best road trip in the ACC... Seriously, I think the ACC is well positioned to make a ton of $$ for member institutions in the future, and today's announcement will lead directly to big payouts for all of us sooner than later.

My initial perception is similiar to that of the exit fee

Apr 22, 2013, 2:45 PM

increase: incredibility that Clemson would have supported the idea and that our lame-duck President would have agreed rather than allow his successor to offer his opinion to our BOT. This seems a win-win-win for the non-football oriented schools, while tying Clemson (and other football-oriented schools) into a conference long dominated by Tobacco Road.

Could the timing be a precursor to a release from the $50 million exit fee demanded from UM in lieu of protracted legal actions? Could it be a latent step required by ND but, heretofore, unannounced? Whose idea was this, and who led the efforts? Was there any hesitancy by any member (or incoming member) to sign?

I have long held to the idea that Clemson should remain extremely wary regarding agreements within the ACC, most preferrably by keeping its options open regarding conference affiliation. That our administration led the exit fee revision efforts and have, apparently, signed on with this GOR, is stunning and, frankly, disappointing.

This in my opinion amounts to nothing more than a cave-in to the non-football oriented schools and their puppet, Swafford, and resembles a poker player too quick to fold 'em...rather than hold'em while committing the bluff.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

completely agree***

Apr 22, 2013, 2:47 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I could not agree more.

Apr 22, 2013, 2:58 PM [ in reply to My initial perception is similiar to that of the exit fee ]

It makes no sense, but is extremely dissapointing.

I could agree more...

Apr 22, 2013, 3:05 PM [ in reply to My initial perception is similiar to that of the exit fee ]

Wait, wut? I mean I couldn't not agree more. Umm, I mean I couldn't agree more!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

LOL....Couldn't is better than wouldn't or shouldn't,

Apr 22, 2013, 3:45 PM

providing, of course, that you guard against the double negative...which would negate your agreement and would make you ANOTHER INFAMOUS TIGERNET DE-RAILER! My compliments and sincere appreciation....

I am not even in the same class with such well-known

Apr 22, 2013, 3:51 PM

derailers as franc, dsp, soccerkrzy, gwp, and CUTigerDave.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some regard that distinguished group as famous...

Apr 22, 2013, 3:59 PM

some infamous. Oft times they regard each other with tinges of incredible infamy depending upon the post. Nevertheless, they are indeed our main De-railers...famously or not....lol

They are indeed (in)famous...and legends in

Apr 22, 2013, 4:21 PM

their own minds.

HaHaHaHa...."legends in their own minds" +1***

Apr 22, 2013, 4:32 PM

Re: General Update: ACC presidents approve grant of rights

Apr 22, 2013, 2:48 PM

Meh. Conference expansion ending as far as we are concerned is a good thing. What I am more interested in is how this affects Notre Dame. I assume this means they are tied in as well except for football. At that I wonder if this hurts the chance that they move football in as well or helps.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One last swift kick to the ballbag by Barker.***

Apr 22, 2013, 2:56 PM

Mixed Feelings on this

Apr 22, 2013, 2:59 PM

I suppose the good news is that this removes the doomsday scenario of FSU getting an invite to a conferece we don't (SEC, Big 10, etc) and leaving us hanging in the wind, while the schools with SEC or Big 10 options jump ship.

Concerned though that this means the bottom feeders have little incentive to raising their football commitment since there is nothing FSU, Clemson, etc. can threaten to do about it. There are too many schools in the ACC that do little to raise the commitment and success on the football field, but then show up on payout day with a hand out expecting an equal share.

So, essentially, the ACC is a conference full of liberals***

Apr 22, 2013, 3:01 PM

Re: So, essentially, the ACC is a conference full of liberals***

Apr 22, 2013, 6:10 PM

Go look at a map of red vs blue states that show's who's really taking the payouts. I'll give you a hint, it's the red states.

I dont think you know how to read a map bro***

Apr 22, 2013, 6:56 PM

GREAT move

Apr 22, 2013, 6:08 PM

This is GREAT for the ACC and Clemson. Anything but a move to the SEC would have been disastrous for Clemson and if some other key ACC members bailed on the ACC that could leave Clemson in a tough spot. This prevents that from happening.

Look Pitt and Cuse were ok moves but ND (even partial ND) and Louisville were HUGE gains. Take a look at the football rankings and it will be pretty hard to argue the ACC won't be the #2 or #3 football conference. The ACC is gonna net about $10mil a year from adding ND and that's NOT including extra ticket or merchandise sales.

Re: GREAT move

Apr 22, 2013, 6:18 PM

USA today final footbal rankings
SEC:: 1, 4, 5, 7, 10, 12, 20,
ACC:: 3*, 8, 9, 13* *= notre dame and louisville
PAC:: 2, 6, 19
Big 10:: 16, 23 Ohio State not listed *cheaters
Big 12:: 11, 15, 18

ACC looks pretty good to me.

This is pretty scary to me

Apr 22, 2013, 6:40 PM

Yes, we have stopped the bleeding. But we are now contractually bound to bring in less money than our rivals down the road. Not just the shamecocks, but UGA too.

The contracts aren't complete. Conference additions will

Apr 22, 2013, 7:01 PM

drive change to the existing contacts.

Horrific, just horrific***

Apr 22, 2013, 8:49 PM

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic