Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Its impossible to ignore a teams record and who they have beaten
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1,773

Its impossible to ignore a teams record and who they have beaten

Nov 12, 2019, 7:25 AM

But its also impossible to ignore recent history and the so called eye test always includes a little of it. If a teams prior season didnt matter then why have preseason rankings and why was bama 3 this past week? And why isnt minnesota ranked much higher? They would be if they were bama. You cannot ignore history and a teams roster of talent and its potential. All these things factor in and always will as long as opinion is part of the process. The phrase eye test isnt just about execution, otherwise penn st wouldnt have been 4. My eye test told me that. But so did my gut. And Ohio st looks great??? Really? Thats easy when u play to blow everyone out and sub less and play overmatched teams. What happens when they play clemson???? A loss. Why? Because i simply dont believe in ohio st. Why? Cause we r the champs been dominant for years, they have not.

Eye test is nonsense. Just a way of saying that you personally think this or that. There is no clean slate every year. Impossible. Does it matter Clemson is 65-4 ...... heck yes it does. Believe it.

I mean, i could build my own car too but id rather have a bmw. A proven car. History matters until someone proves otherwise.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Its impossible to ignore a teams record and who they have beaten

Nov 12, 2019, 7:31 AM

Preseason rankings dont mean much. You have to start somewhere. They are based on what happened the year before, but also on what players a team has returning. After the preseason rankings everything sorts its self out that season before is meaningless.

Nov 12, 2019, 8:02 AM

Preseason rankings don't mean much, but they do mean something. They will skew the rankings all year, even though the effects are progressively less as the year goes on. These rankings also are generally affected by many years of success rather than just last year. The preseason top 10 in the AP and Coach's poll were:

1 Clemson
2 Alabama
3 Georgia
4 Oklahoma
5 Ohio State
6 LSU
7 Michigan
8 Florida
9 Notre Dame
10 Texas

Yes most of the teams are still top 10, but I would argue that the ones that aren't were predictable (I do include Florida in the predictable group even if some idiot puts them top 10). I will also predict that all except maybe Notre Dame and Texas will be in the top 10 again next year and I haven't looked to see what anybody loses. My point is that the initial polls are popularity contests, and since nobody wants to admit they were wrong, movement is slow. Even at the end of the year, they will not have completely corrected themselves from the initial bias.

Nov 12, 2019, 8:14 AM

Yeah but the top teams that matter for the playoff are all in basic area they need to be.

Nov 12, 2019, 8:22 AM

That's true. Even if I do think preseason is a popularity contest, it is a reason that the teams are popular, success.

Nov 12, 2019, 8:17 AM [ in reply to Re: Its impossible to ignore a teams record and who they have beaten ]

It is impossible to ignore the records...So lets just forget about Notre Dame and Alabama in the playoffs just a few months ago because this is such a new and different team...With the exception of a few great recruits this is basically the same team without the defensive line...As great as Ferrell/Lawrence/Wilkins/Bryant were, we've replaced them with some well trained players who seem to be at least as good...statistically our defense is more dominating than it was last year and we are playing everyone except the waterboy! When assumptions are made by a committee someone thinks that Alabama has a schedule that is more rigorous than Clemsons schedule or that Georgia losing to South Carolina is better somehow than Clemson beating North Carolina? Florida State and Miami might look terrible when they play eachother but they would beat Misery & Tennessee every time! Those who make their living out of the SEC being great are having trouble with reality! Clemson is in another level in the ACC and that reality should have been on display last January vs. the fighting Irish and the fat red elephant...If what we have done would have been done by the Crimson Tide not GOD or anyone would have voted Alabama out of the top 5 or even out of #1! When you allow those with a vested interest to become subjective you should be careful about the subject!

Not sure I can trust this post

Nov 12, 2019, 7:34 AM

because my last vehicle was a BMW and it was a piece of junk. :) I literally sold it for junk after 10 years with less than 65k miles on it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

Nov 12, 2019, 8:33 PM

I'd say the fact that Minnesota didn't bother to schedule anyone OOC with a pulse and instead had South Dakota State, Fresno State, and Georgia Southern, and then beat those teams by a combined 12 points with one of the games going to overtime had more to do with their low ranking last week than it did performance in seasons prior to this one.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter anyway. If Minnesota finishes up at 13-0 then they'll be in the CFP.

Nov 12, 2019, 8:17 AM

CFP doesn't have pre-season rankings.

The rest are just for fun and content

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 12, 2019, 8:28 AM

I was going to post the same thing. Thank you.

CFP rankings don't do preseason rankings, they wait 10 weeks for good reason. Previous season doesn't matter, if it did then Clemson wouldn't have been #1 in 2015.

Nov 12, 2019, 9:38 AM

I’d like to hear the explanation for why 2018 Auburn that finished 8-5 and unranked, opened the 2019 season at #16.
Same question for Oregon. 2018 Oregon, 9-4, unranked, opens 2019 at #11.

Minnesota wasn't higher for a very simple reason...or eight

Nov 12, 2019, 9:42 AM

South Dakota State
Fresno State
Georgia Southern
Purdue
Rutgers
Nebraska
Illinois
Maryland

While the media loves to fluff the B1G, the bottom of that conference is an absolute pillow fight year in and year out.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Minnesota wasn't higher for a very simple reason...or eight

Nov 12, 2019, 10:12 AM

Man, those bottom five really stink. And how the once might Nebraska program has fallen.

Re: Minnesota wasn't higher for a very simple reason...or eight

Nov 12, 2019, 10:13 AM

Mighty Nebraska.

Nov 12, 2019, 10:12 AM

Preseason rankings mean something for one purpose and one purpose only....TV advertising.

If the AP is such garbage, which it is, why does the CFP use them as a basis for saying team x have y # of wins over top 25 teams. I didn't think the top 25 was established until last week.

The reality is the CFP committee ought to start ranking teams privately in September and not release the first poll until November. This way they have the liberty to really change the top 25 week to week without the scrutiny of the public. This way they can learn about teams as they play games and make radical changes as the truth comes out.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1,773
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic