Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mike WIlliams
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 3,978

Mike WIlliams

Sep 22, 2015, 10:51 AM

Does anyone have a status on Mike Williams? Rumors are floating around that he will be back this season. Definitely wouldn't want him to return early, but if he can come back that would be a spark in the offense.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He'll be reevaluated in a few weeks

Sep 22, 2015, 10:54 AM

IF everything is clear he will be back for the FSU game at least. I think they're waiting to see. If he takes longer the he'll take a medical RS

Re: Mike WIlliams

Sep 22, 2015, 11:01 AM

In Mike's honor, I think we need to remove those "safety" goal post abominations and either go back to regular aluminum or design something new with most of the mass below ground level. I kind of want him to sue the patent holder.

I would prefer if we honor Mike Williams by...

Sep 22, 2015, 11:03 AM

Winning a Natty!!!
Go Tigers!

I don't know who thought a giant square base was a good idea***

Sep 22, 2015, 11:04 AM [ in reply to Re: Mike WIlliams ]

Re: I don't know who thought a giant square base was a good idea***

Sep 22, 2015, 12:53 PM

It's that size because it holds the folding mechanism. Granted, I don't see why they can't figure out a way to suspend the #### thing away from where the players are running full speed.

Re: I don't know who thought a giant square base was a good idea***

Sep 22, 2015, 2:26 PM

They could've rounded it off so that direct impact was less likely.

Seems like you're way more likely to have a glancing blow instead of a direct hit if you run into a round object instead of a square one.

Re: Mike WIlliams

Sep 22, 2015, 11:10 AM [ in reply to Re: Mike WIlliams ]

really. smfh.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would imagine that Clemson owns the rights to that design

Sep 22, 2015, 12:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Mike WIlliams ]

since it is the only one of its kind I have ever seen. I would bet that NCAA rules prohibit a player from suing their own university while they are a student.

Re: I would imagine that Clemson owns the rights to that design

Sep 22, 2015, 12:51 PM

> since it is the only one of its kind I have ever
> seen. I would bet that NCAA rules prohibit a player
> from suing their own university while they are a
> student.

The NCAA can "mandate" all they want, bottom line is civil law takes precedence over NCAA "policy".

He wants to sue, he can sue, and if the NCAA or Clemson does anything that could be considered "retaliatory", they're potentially on the hook for that too.

In reality it would make things a little...testy, to be involved in a lawsuit with the parent University while still playing for them, a bit like pursuing a Workman's Comp claim after being hurt on the job (I have been through that), but Williams didn't waive his civil rights when he signed up to play football.

One example were those Northwestern guys who took the NCAA to court trying to unionize. The NCAA won't do them any favors...but they also haven't been kicked out.

I'd wait and see if it effects his NFL career. He probably will as well. If he doesn't make it back...expect a suit. I would. Stupid thing shouldn't have been there like it was, basically a steel wall with maybe three inches of foam over the top of it. I hope he heals up and doesn't need any recourse...and Clemson does something about that base before somebody else gets hurt on it. We've been warned - hopefully it ends up being a no lasting harm/no permanent fallout-type warning - now be proactive, Clemson. There's a problem there, fix it...soonest.

Sep 22, 2015, 2:35 PM [ in reply to I would imagine that Clemson owns the rights to that design ]

I assumed this was a contraption sold to our athletic department by some company peddling safety. They would be the ones liable. Surely we did not do the design in-house. Our AD must have better risk management than that.

Sep 22, 2015, 3:32 PM [ in reply to I would imagine that Clemson owns the rights to that design ]

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2004-09-27-goal-posts_x.htm

Sep 22, 2015, 3:43 PM

My asumption was correct.

Here you go:
S5 Sports, LLC • 304-669-4429 • Bridgeport, WV
Contact
James L. Snider, Designer / Inventor
U.S. Patent #6,945,885

http://www.symbolart.com/~s5/clemson.html

Enjoy, ethically challenged plaintiff's attorneys.

if we had normal goalposts Mike Williams

Sep 22, 2015, 12:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Mike WIlliams ]

would be playing right now. But we have discussed this on here and I think the athletic department understands that their paranoid decision to buy those automatic goal posts cost our team their best WR for this season

Re: if we had normal goalposts Mike Williams

Sep 22, 2015, 1:41 PM

#### right.

True. But they can be rounded and extra padding added. In

Sep 22, 2015, 2:33 PM

one of the pro games this weekend (can't remember which) a receiver went head first into a padded goal post and he was not injured at all. Clemson needs to fix this NOW!

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The IRONY of it all is that the retractable goal posts were

Sep 22, 2015, 12:51 PM

... designed and put in place to avoid injury of (and possible litigation by??) over exuberant fans who thought tearing down the goal posts was a great idea.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The IRONY of it all is that the retractable goal posts were

Sep 22, 2015, 5:35 PM

If you put the regular posts up they will eventually be torn down and that is just as much a liability as a player running into them during a game. So.. The only realistic solution is to not let fans on the field after the game which would be terrible. Lot of great memories as a kid running on the field after the game trying to get a glove from one of the players. (Still have Trevor Pryce's from back in the day)

That was pretty much my point ...

Sep 22, 2015, 9:29 PM

The retractable goal posts were meant to mitigate a potential problem, but have created a whole new potential area for liability.

I agree that keeping the fans off the field would be a terrible idea.

And in the 60 years I've been watching Clemson play football in Death Valley, I can only remember one or two instances where tearing down the goal posts even became an issue.

The retractable goal posts were a huge over reaction IMHO.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 18
| visibility 3,978
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic