Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mike Noonan is a
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Mike Noonan is a

Dec 6, 2019, 9:50 PM

great coach let me say and sure glad he has been the Head Coach of the Clemson Men's Soccer team for the last 10 years and all the accomplishments he has had but one thing I don't understand and would like to know is what was his thinking in taking out the Tigers starting goalie George Marks for PK's and putting another goalie(not gonna mention names)in that was coming off the bench and put into a very very pressure situation.I would have wondered the same thing had the Tigers won on PK's but to put someone like that into the game when the season was coming down to PK's to advance or not is kinda mind boggling.Still I'm proud of the Tigers on the way to season went as a whole.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mike Noonan is a

Dec 6, 2019, 9:58 PM

Bad move

Dec 6, 2019, 9:59 PM

As a USSF-licensed coach, I'll answer: because sometimes your best shot stopper is not your best keeper.

Being a good keeper isn't just about being a shot stopper. Those are reflexes, athleticism, wingspan...and fearlessness. But a good keeper has to be first and foremost a good communicator. He has to boss the box and communicate with his defenders, and he has to exude...calm, even under extreme pressure. Nothing unsettles a defense more than a keeper who flails or loses his aplomb and when a D is getting shelled that can happen, badly...and some keepers just have more cool than others. And especially with teams that build from the back - and Noonan's teams often do - then you've also got to have a keeper who can distribute and hit 30+ yard passes. And long-passing is a skillset in and of itself; a good long-passer can create an instant counter out of the back and even bypass an aggressive midfield line.

But when it's time to just go to PK's, communication, presence, and distribution go out the window. And if you've got a sub to make, sometimes it's good to bring in your best pure shot stopper and hope he gets a hand on something. I've won a couple of different PK shootouts doing that myself.

I agree with what you're saying but

Dec 6, 2019, 10:07 PM

Re: I agree with what you're saying but

Dec 6, 2019, 10:15 PM

With PK's you're pretty much rolling the dice.

A guy can go three ways - left, right, or straight up main street - and as a keeper you pretty much have to guess.

Even if you guess right, you're still only about 50/50, because the shooter can go high or low. And that's where reflexes and that "stand on your head" factor come in...can you actually contort yourself to get there in the half-second you've got to react? If you can, you look like a superstar...and for the briefest of moments, the keeper is a hero. See Tim Howard, Team USA.

If you don't guess right, though, you just end up looking stupid.

It's why a PK shootout is one of the most stressful - and probably least fair - ways of resolving a sporting event there is.

Enjoyed reading your replies, and I agree with you

Dec 6, 2019, 10:22 PM

about PKs being the least fair way to pick a winner. It’s no longer a team soccer game at that point, and it may be one of the main reasons soccer will never be big in this country.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Enjoyed reading your replies, and I agree with you

Dec 7, 2019, 7:47 AM

about PKs being the least fair way to pick a winner. It’s no longer a team soccer game at that point, and it may be one of the main reasons soccer will never be big in this country.

The idea that "soccer will never be big in this country" is actually already wrong. It's not in the national perception (especially in the 35+ crowd) a ton mostly because the USMNT - the senior men's team - has been incredibly disappointing of late (they didn't even make the World Cup in Russia for 2018, managing to crash out against Trinidad & Tobago, a defeat that will long live in infamy!) - but soccer is the second-most-played-and-watched sport among Gen Z...yes, even higher than baseball. And MLS is quietly drawing some huge crowds and has expanded to 26 teams and is adding at least four more in Austin, Sacramento, St. Louis, and Charlotte in the next couple years.

If you haven't been to an Atlanta United game, I would highly recommend it sometime. It's insane. Uncle Arthur did it right and frequently pulls in crowds of 70K+. For regular home games. Have a gander at this and tell me again with a straight face "soccer will never be big in this country."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXNuVz4EFUc

ATL was ape, actually, when they played at Bobby Dodd. The first Atlanta United game I went to was at GT's stadium...they packed the house with 50K (I've never even seen that for GT games!) and the atmosphere was absolutely frenetic. It's even better now at the Benz.

To Q's point, Atlanta United's

Dec 7, 2019, 8:37 AM

Attendance in their First Year was in the Top 10...globally. Think about that!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2019, 10:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Mike Noonan is a ]

Thanks for the response,respect it and I understand what you are saying.It's just the situation to me it just reminded me a whole lot for example of a Baseball coach bringing in another player off the bench in the Top or Bottom of the 9th with 2 outs and runners on 1st and 2nd needing 1 run to keep the game going and expecting him to come thru for team and produce in a clutch situation,which is a very low percentage that it will happen to begin with.

Dec 7, 2019, 9:10 AM [ in reply to Re: Mike Noonan is a ]

Thanks for this perspective. My son was a club level soccer player on a really good team, so I have watched my share of soccer. What you say is absolutely right. I hate it for the young man who had to suffer the unfortunate loss. The announcer at the beginning of the game said that Stanford's strength was in penelty kicks so I was disappointed, but not surprised.

I'm sure he's thought the same thing a HUNDRED times

Dec 6, 2019, 10:46 PM

already.

Where is Scott Sterling when you need him?

Dec 7, 2019, 8:45 AM

https://youtu.be/8F9jXYOH2c0

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Dec 7, 2019, 9:15 AM

he blocked 2 which is about what you can ask for. He was guessing which way as the Stanford goalie was waiting to see what way the ball was going. It is also on the kickers too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2019, 10:43 AM

Our best player did not convert on his PK. That set the tone (playing catch-up/lot of pressure). I think it was more on our offense, PK takers, than on the goalie. We dominated the majority of the game, but Stanford had more energy in the PKs. Shame we lost, Tigers have a great squad.

Dec 7, 2019, 10:48 AM

I was really pleased with the way we played. We were very aggressive and attacked the entire game. Sometimes the ball just doesn't bounce your way, but Stanford was a very good team and played really good defense. We had a few opportunities that we could not cash in on. I hate PKs, but you just have to make them and hope your goalie gets lucky and guesses right once or twice. Ours didn't and theirs did.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

honestly you can’t put too much on the keeper

Dec 7, 2019, 11:00 AM

In a PK shootout. Even if top level shootouts in the World Cup and champions league, keepers rarely save the shots. It’s a very hard ask. The most you can hope to do is provide pressure

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic