Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mike Davis
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

Mike Davis

Sep 14, 2013, 7:35 PM

As much as I hate to say it, Clemson missed out on a good one.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mike Davis

Sep 14, 2013, 7:36 PM

we were interested. he wanted none of us for some reason. wouldnt even visit

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: At the time we didn't have anywhere for him***

Sep 17, 2013, 4:07 PM

I don't believe that.

Sep 17, 2013, 5:30 PM

nm

Sep 17, 2013, 5:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Mike Davis ]

Yes, I am sure we would have snapped him up if he had shown any interest... unfortunately he didn't. You can't force kids to play for you, and we don't bribe recruits like some other institutions.

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks; but I do fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times. - Bruce Lee

from all i've read, cu didn't miss, they were never in it.***

Sep 14, 2013, 7:36 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: from all i've read, cu didn't miss, they were never in it.***

Sep 14, 2013, 7:39 PM

He wanted in we said no dice some whatever reason.

yeah

Sep 14, 2013, 7:40 PM

um, no

He was never coming here

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he was committed to florida and said he'd wasn't interested

Sep 14, 2013, 7:43 PM [ in reply to Re: from all i've read, cu didn't miss, they were never in it.*** ]

in following his brother. he felt he'd been lied to by florida coaches, decommitted and cu tried to get back in.

he jerked the coaches around, no more, no less and committed to scar.

i'll take the kid's for his word. he wasn't coming to clemson and if the coaches got tired of his routine, i don't blame them for not allowing him to waste any more of their time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yup.from what i read

Sep 14, 2013, 7:48 PM

during the south carolina game last year.but they said no go.because they knew he wasnt serious about committing and saw it as him just wanting a free trip

yeah, that's kewl if the kid wanted to go his own way, but

Sep 14, 2013, 7:50 PM

for clemson fans to take 'swipes at the coaching staff' because of it makes no sense.

exactly...

Sep 14, 2013, 7:52 PM

ive seen some call him a traitor on him. i despise the game ##### but heck the kid had no obligation to come here just because his brother did.

Haha I love this response.

Sep 14, 2013, 8:15 PM [ in reply to Re: from all i've read, cu didn't miss, they were never in it.*** ]

You can always count on a post like this when they get a good player.

Sep 14, 2013, 7:39 PM

I don't think he was interested in Clemson. Wanted his own identity and to not be known as "James' little bro".

^^^^ This***

Sep 14, 2013, 7:41 PM

True, plus when he decommitted from

Sep 16, 2013, 8:56 AM [ in reply to Re: Mike Davis ]

I think it was Florida, he accused the coaches of "lying " to him ,or some sort of badmouthing, ...he seemed to have some ego problems ,the kind that could turn on you if he developed some doubts, but make no doubt about it , he has all the physical tools and gifts ....

True, plus when he decommitted from

Sep 16, 2013, 8:56 AM [ in reply to Re: Mike Davis ]

I think it was Florida, he accused the coaches of "lying " to him ,or some sort of badmouthing, ...he seemed to have some ego problems ,the kind that could turn on you if he developed some doubts, but make no doubt about it , he has all the physical tools and gifts ....

What's Ironic is...

Sep 17, 2013, 5:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Mike Davis ]

He's still known as James' little brother. They introduced him as such during the Vandy game.

I don't remember these scenarios at all.

Sep 14, 2013, 7:46 PM

I remember we were going hard after Derrick Green. I don't think Mike Davis was recruited no were near as hard. Maybe he wasn't interested in us initially and that is why we didn't recruit him, OR he snub his nose at us for not recruiting him harder. What ever it was, I don't remember hearing about Mike Davis until later on into the season. It's like we didn't have any interest in him till other RBs committed elsewhere.

two different classes, d green was 2013, davis 2012.***

Sep 14, 2013, 7:48 PM

Maybe that explains why I don't remember them lol

Sep 14, 2013, 7:51 PM

To be in my mid twenties, I've got the memory of goldfish...

:-), no worries, it's not like we get info on the next class

Sep 14, 2013, 7:55 PM

we get info on 2016 kids. it's crazy.

Re: :-), no worries, it's not like we get info on the next class

Sep 14, 2013, 8:06 PM

As the guy up above stated, kid decommitted from Florida cause he felt the coaches lied.

He was scheduled to come to Clemson for an official visit, I think after he had given a verbal to South Carolina but not sure if he had verbaled yet. I think we decided against his visit because we felt he would had been in town to recruit against us.

Then James Davis took to twitter blasting his former school for not letting his brother visit.

Sep 14, 2013, 8:11 PM

We had him on the back burner because we were in it with Gurley and Marshall until the eleventh hour. By the time we realized we may not get their likely package deal, it was too late. He took offense to our slow playing him and wanted to "show us" what we missed out on by committing to our rival school. James was pissed that we slow played his little brother, too. Told him to do whatever the hell he wanted to, and that he doesn't owe us any sort of loyalty.

Mike Davis is a good RB, but he is no Gurly.

Sep 14, 2013, 8:16 PM

I don't blame our coaches at all. He was all Florida until the end. Coots caught a break landing him.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

all of it was driven by buice transferring then bellamy

Sep 14, 2013, 8:29 PM

getting sent home from the acccg & suspended for the bowl. clemson wasn't recruiting a rb heavily at all until after those two happenings so they were "late" getting in with everyone. cu and other programs were initially recruiting gurley as an athlete, possible safety, but backed off because the spots were filled.

Re: all of it was driven by buice transferring then bellamy

Sep 16, 2013, 8:07 AM

CU never recruited Gurley as a athlete ! where'd that come from. We were going after Gurley and Marshall hard.

Show me other schools that recruited Gurley as a safety?
He was the no. 1 RB in the country

We got in on Davis late but he never wanted to come to Clemson.

marshall was the #1 rb in the country and you're mistaken

Sep 16, 2013, 8:20 AM

clemson even stopped recruiting gurley altogether.

ESPN: #30 ATH, 80 Grade
Rivals: #29 RB
Scout: #25 ATH
24/7: 89 Grade

gurley was the #1 rb in the country, not close and was rated just as high as an athlete.

davis was committed to florida until early december. he'd been committed there for almost a year and said he wouldn't entertain any other schools including his big brothers. marshall was an early enrollee and announced for georgia about the same time in december that davis decommitted.

you can't get in 'late' with someone that was committed to another school for almost a year that would not even take a courtesy visit to his big brother's school. funny thing is about davis, he decommitted because he felt the florida coaches were being dishonest about their rb situation. the only other rb they were involved with was already committed to florida before davis. mike davis had a 2 cent head going through recruiting and some want to put this on the staff? that's absurd. davis even toyed with richt and georgia at one point saying if he had to choose that day, he would pick georgia. he later denied saying it then when confronted with the interview where he said it, he replied, "i don't have a response".

it gets a little old when people just make this crap up as they go.

Actually, I'm right...

Sep 16, 2013, 9:38 AM

I was on TigerIllustrated at the time, and know for a fact that we had Gurley at 1a on our recruiting board, and Marshall 1b.

Coaches use the rankings as a guide but certainly not an end all be all, and they saw Gurley as a very physical guy(the type of players we're now looking to recruit), with freakish athletic tools. However, our secret was out after the shine bowl game, and everyone in the country saw what we already knew.

"Some have speculated that Davis has never really considered Clemson because he didn’t want to follow in his brother’s footsteps. “That didn’t have anything to do with me and Clemson. They just came on late with me.”"

http://www.tigernet.com/update/recruiting/Mike-Davis-talks-Clemson-4353

actually you're not and gurley even says clemson stopped

Sep 16, 2013, 9:42 AM

recruiting him. i guess the secret was kept from gurley too?

My next top school is UGA, which is a school I visited three times and I see why people say it's a great school. First of all, the food is the best and that's my favorite thing about the school. My bro Keith Marshall goes there now and that would be good to have two NC boys in the backfield representing for our state. Plus, the relationship I developed over time with (running backs) coach Bryan McClendon and coach Richt has been great. Two great coaches running a great program.

My last school is the Clemson Tigers, a school I always wanted to play for after watching C.J. Spiller run there and break records. That was something I dreamed about and now that I have the opportunity to go there, it's just crazy to have my dreams come true. My Clemson visit was the best out of all the schools I visited because the time I had with the players was so much better then every other school, so that's a plus in my book. Even though they offered me late and stopped recruiting for a while, I didn't really care about that because that's just the business of it, so it didn't affect me too much.

http://www.tigernet.com/update/recruiting/Gurley-calls-Clemson-opportunity-I-dreamed-4248

no packaged deal, marshall was an early enrollee and the coaches weren't on gurley, as you said, the whole process.

mike davis was committed to florida until december. so much for giving big brother's school a courtesy look. the only thing late was driven by mike himself being committed to a school until 3 months before signing day.

that's just stupid.

Re: Mike Davis is a good RB, but he is no Gurly.

Sep 16, 2013, 8:56 AM [ in reply to Mike Davis is a good RB, but he is no Gurly. ]

he gained more than gurley I believe in their game. I think he is a good back and would have helped us. we just didn't go after him until the last minute when we lost marshall, gurley and a couple of others. he felt slighted imo and our staff could not regroup with him.

Sep 15, 2013, 6:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Mike Davis ]

That's the way I saw it happen too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

mike davis was committed to florida for almost a year.

Sep 15, 2013, 6:39 PM

if mike davis had the butthurt, it was on mike davis.

Re: Mike Davis will get 'used up' like Lattimore.

Sep 14, 2013, 8:22 PM

Spurrier doesn't care - - it's about Spurrier.

Re: Mike Davis will get 'used up' like Lattimore.

Sep 14, 2013, 9:16 PM

yep

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He wouldn't be allowed to wear 28 at Clemson***

Sep 14, 2013, 8:30 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: all of it was driven by buice transferring then bellamy

Sep 14, 2013, 9:43 PM

Both were seperately viewed as over sign worthy though, as in we would have accepted the first of the two that committed, but not both - so we were in contact with both throughout the whole process. Davis was not. After all that went down we put the full court press on getting them both as a packaged deal, and tried to keep davis in our back pocket in casen either worked out. davis felt like he was too good of a player to be a team last option, and he was probably right.

moral of the story, he just took offense to the whole situation, after his brother was such a great player for us, and took it out on us by going to our rival.

Re: James Davis never liked Dabo for some reason.

Sep 15, 2013, 6:10 PM

He was tight with TB though.

That ought to tell you something***

Sep 15, 2013, 6:12 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

JD was good (not great)

Sep 15, 2013, 6:19 PM

and feeding the ball to him enough to make him happy kept it out of Spiller's hands too many times. Lil Bro didn't want to come to Clemson AND signed with the clucks....that's his loss. We're fine at RB without him.

Let's not forget, that without JD, Spiller probably wouldn't

Sep 16, 2013, 8:55 AM

have ever been a Tiger...and almost definitely would have left after his freshman year...that's paid bigger dividends than anything he could've done on the field

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 15, 2013, 6:24 PM

Who the hell is Mike Davis? Somebody told me he had an older brother that was much better player and smarter too.

That's kinda funny because i think Mike is gonna be

Sep 16, 2013, 8:38 AM

better than James. I think vision, toughness, and the ability to break tackles was what made James a good back.

Mike seems to have all of those things plus he's faster in the open field, runs a bit lower (which i always think is a good thing), and is maybe a little bit shiftier.

Re: That's kinda funny because i think Mike is gonna be

Sep 17, 2013, 4:02 PM

We'll see what happens when he plays against a team with a defense or should I say a pulse.

It's ok...***

Sep 16, 2013, 8:16 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll stick with what we have.

Sep 16, 2013, 8:21 AM

If a player is stupid enough to pass on Clemson then he sure as helll won't be a good student.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

but landed 3 better ones...***

Sep 16, 2013, 8:49 AM

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic