Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mens tennis falls 4-2 to NC State. Season ends at 15-14
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Mens tennis falls 4-2 to NC State. Season ends at 15-14

Apr 21, 2016, 4:31 PM

and ranked 73 but will probably drop out now. Many of our wins were over teams like Wofford and SC State. Only 2 good wins on the whole year (over Notre Dame and Duke).

This wraps up season 8 for McCuen, he made the NCAA tournament twice. 2-6 vs SC.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

fire Kriese!***

Apr 21, 2016, 4:34 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Kriese is now at the Citadel

Apr 21, 2016, 4:35 PM

coaching a horrendous team

seems like punishment enough then.***

Apr 21, 2016, 4:43 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Is this guy the Brownlee of tennis?

Apr 21, 2016, 4:38 PM

And is there any way Memphis would want to steal him away from us?

~JKB

No memhpis is a better program

Apr 21, 2016, 4:41 PM

ranked 34 and solidly in the tournament as usual

Re: Mens tennis falls 4-2 to NC State. Season ends at 15-14

Apr 21, 2016, 4:54 PM

WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

in me alone***

Apr 21, 2016, 4:59 PM

Re: in me alone***

Apr 21, 2016, 5:54 PM

I am with you...sad compared to what it used to be.

Apr 21, 2016, 5:10 PM

Not that it makes any difference but they finished 16-14 after adding South Carolina State on to the schedule last week and then beating them on Sunday.Don't know how you feel about it TIP but the Men's Tennis program is just not living up to the standards set by Chuck Kriese after he left and it's a shame that Chuck McCuen an assistant under Kriese for so many years has not been able to keep what Kriese built by winning at a level like his mentor did for so many years.

only the making the tournament 2 times in 8 years

Apr 21, 2016, 5:35 PM

is not good enough for Clemson tennis. We have a great facility and a lot of tradition.

TIP - question

Apr 21, 2016, 6:20 PM

I know Nancy wins a lot on the women's side mainly due to her going after non-US players. Is that McCuen's problem? I see most college powerhouses going this route and frankly, I see it at all levels of college tennis, D1 and D2 as well. My daughter played college tennis at a Div 2 school and it is amazing the number of foreign players on most teams.

My personal opinion is this is a non-revenue sport and we should make every effort to be the very best but within the context of what is best for American kids. Wonder why so many young people don't go the tennis route (especially young men)? It is because the parents KNOW there is very little chance to get a college scholarship for the investment one has to make in tennis, which is prodigious. I would rather support SC young men first (being Clemson is a state supported public university), then US players; caveat - a limit two of foreign players on your roster. As a former tennis professional myself (and college player), I think it would do wonders for tennis in the US over a period of time.

What say you?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I could write an entire essay on this

Apr 21, 2016, 6:54 PM

The women game has more internationals than the mens game does so it is more imperative there to go after foreign players.

In the mens game there are actually quite a few elite teams that have majority american players. Virginia for instance (the defending national champion) their entire top 6 is American. The very best Americans choose the best American programs like Virginia, UCLA, USC, Stanford, Florida, Georgia etc. But the problem is there are not that many elite americna players to go around. Tennis is not a sport like basketball where team chemistry and coaching can overcome talent. In tennis usually the more talented guys are going to win. If foreign players were not allowed into college tennis then the gaps in the have and the have nots would be even greater. Teams like ETSU(who have been pretty successful getting only south americans) would be much worse getting 5th tier americans. Tennis is a more international sport than other college sports and players come from all over to play the game here while getting an education.

Clemson men's team has mixed internationals and Americans in recent years. We benefitted from the German Maden brothers in the 2 good years in 2013 and 2014 as well as local Spartanburg native Harrington. The issue in recent years has been the lack of aggression in recruiting and the poor focus in getting talented internationals and Americans.

I personally think a good mix is the best route. Different teams have different recruiting strategies. Teams like Duke, South Carolina, Vanderbilt, Notre Dame, Florida have gone for only Americans recently. I think that a self-imposed limitation and limits the teams upward progression. Meanwhile other teams like Texas Tech, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, VCU, Purdue have gone for only internationals recently. That is also limiting in a different way.

Mississippi State loses players to transfers every year and yet somehow every year they find new international players to come and fill in and every year no matter who is in the lineup they are a top 30 team. I don't know how they constantly bring in good internationals every year to Starkville Mississippi. And at Clemson we can only get 1 good international if we are lucky. It's a matter of recruiting connections and talent evaluation.

excellent post TIP!

Apr 21, 2016, 8:23 PM

I just would prefer the game to have a highly weighted American flavor as the very best players in the world go directly into the pro game, perhaps a year in college like Mac but that is rare (or Isner who stayed three I think??).

Again, I want to win at everything but if we don't win tennis titles but provide a great opportunity for American kids to come to a great university, play collegiate sports, develop skills and earn a degree, that is a big win in my view.

I think the volume of players available would trickle up some if more college opportunities existed. I know guys who are top 100-150 in the country and get a few thousand dollars of athletic scholarship to good colleges which is a shame but Title 9 impacts mens tennis dramatically.

Anyway, appreciate your thoughts. hopefully McCuen can dial up his recruiting and evals. I know Pender Murphy, Mike Gondolfo (actually played them when I was a teaching pro and got beat pretty bad) and remember the glory days of Clemson tennis well. Pender wrote a great book which I have (somewhere) about his time at Clemson. Hilarious stuff.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 21, 2016, 6:59 PM

Brownlee coaching tennis as well?

sorta***

Apr 23, 2016, 10:48 AM

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic