Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Memorial Stadium White Oak Pens
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 51

Memorial Stadium White Oak Pens

May 17, 2016, 11:02 AM

Wanted to pass along some info on a project I've been working on with my dad since 2015. Dad is an avid woodworker, and has been turning pens for the past ~8 years. He got hold of a few chunks of one of the 6 Live Oak trees on the Horseshoe on the USCe campus that was struck by lightning and taken down a few years ago. He started turning those into pens for Gamecock fans after getting a crafter's license from the university. After seeing how popular those were with that silly fanbase, I kept my eyes open for a similar opportunity on the Clemson campus.

In a stroke of bad/good luck, the huge white oak that stood next to the Hill in Death Valley had to be removed at the beginning of the 2015 season. When I heard it was being taken down, I scoured the campus to find somebody who knew what the fate of the tree might be. The Supervisor of Athletic Grounds pointed me in the right direction, and Dad and I were able to save some of this wood before it went into the chipper (terrible fate for something so historic). If you've been to a Clemson game in the last...well, EVER, you know exactly what tree this is.

Every tree on campus is numbered (or at least the large ones). The lone white oak in Death Valley, which stood near the Hill for around 80-85 years (give or take), is Tree #260021.

This tree:

This one is dated from 1959 or 1960. And check out the cypress benches that are now the bartop at the Esso--would love to have some of that stuff:

Not sure of the year on this one:

From the national championship season:

And a recent one, I believe from the 2014 season:

Procuring said wood:

Looks like sushi:

So, we cut up the wood, dried and stabilized it, and Dad turned a couple sample pens for some folks in the AD. Here's the one he made for DRad (just as a sidenote, this was the very first iteration, and the logos are a little different going forward):

Dabo's and President Clements' pens:

A few more:

The AD folks were pretty impressed with Dad's work, and he was awarded a crafter's license which allows him to produce a limited number of products with the licensed Clemson logos. So, here we are today; B-Meist and Crump were kind enough to let us pass this opportunity along to their subscribers. If interested, shoot me an email at clemsonpens@gmail.com, and I'll forward you the order form. Dad also makes bottle and wine openers, letter openers, pill/toothpick caddies, and a few other items--neat ideas for birthdays, Father's Day, or whatever. Couple different pen styles (with varying prices) as well.

Every item comes with a certificate of authenticity.

Again...dad is limited on how many he can produce, so there won't be thousands of these items floating around the country (nor does he have the bandwidth to produce that much even if he wanted to). Thanks again to B-Meist and Crump.

Thanks, Brian
c/o '95 & '97

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Memorial Stadium White Oak- I'd like to

May 17, 2016, 11:09 AM

give one to Max Lennon and one to Hootie Ingram that would give them splinters. Do you have anything like that? ;) No seriously they are great looking. Wish I was in the market for one

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tmell***

May 17, 2016, 11:17 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fantastic!

May 17, 2016, 11:30 AM

And my Family has 5 Donor Bricks under where that Oak gave out its Shade & Beauty.

I want a pen! ??

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Memorial Stadium White Oak

May 17, 2016, 11:37 AM

I hand it to your dad and his craft. I see that he developed "one with the wood touch", bc if he hadn't, he wouldn't have ever been able to create that type of art from the tree. As a long time wood crafter myself, I've learned over years from working wood, the feel of the touch will kind of guide you to what it should become.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree. I'm a wood toucher myself.***

May 17, 2016, 3:52 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Agree. I'm a wood toucher myself.***

May 17, 2016, 4:04 PM

^^^underrated post right here^^^

now THAT is funny***

May 28, 2016, 12:02 PM [ in reply to Agree. I'm a wood toucher myself.*** ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow!

May 17, 2016, 2:44 PM

I wonder what someone would be willing to pay for a 3" slab of the main trunk??!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can't even imagine. If only something like that existed.

May 17, 2016, 3:03 PM

:)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll be ######.***

May 17, 2016, 2:53 PM

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 17, 2016, 2:54 PM

Outstanding! Glad to see there are still craftsmen in this world.

Do you do custom work?

May 17, 2016, 3:36 PM

I am looking for something like Dabo's pen, except it would be about twice the size, and there would be no need for it to write. Inside the "pen" body, I would need enough room for two C batteries and a small vibrating motor. Also, and I'm willing to pay extra for this, I'd like to have a little speaker built in that has a recording of Pete Yannity saying "There's Orange in the end zone!!!" when you turned it on.

T-mail me with a price, I'm a buyer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wonder if he could fashion a suction cup device onto

May 17, 2016, 5:11 PM

one end so you don't have to worry about losing it?

Obed

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

YOURE A ####### SELLOUT

May 17, 2016, 3:39 PM

CAFEPRESSJERK

Are you cereal, Clark ? Better it be sold by the wheelbarrow

May 17, 2016, 5:19 PM

full on the side of the road in Pelzer ?

If serious - #####.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Wonder what a wood bowl would go for?***

May 17, 2016, 3:39 PM

pisses me off that tree was removed

May 17, 2016, 5:36 PM

Sucks

It had been diseased for several years.

May 17, 2016, 6:09 PM

Admin tried to save it, and couldn't. I don't think anybody WANTED to get rid of the tree. They didn't have a choice.

Re: It had been diseased for several years.

May 18, 2016, 3:23 PM

Yes, sadly the tree was sick.

I forgot how to write so can he build a keyboard for me?

May 17, 2016, 5:42 PM

J/K great work as usual. You mentioned a friend of your father who made knives. Pocket knives, I'm presuming.

I was wondering if we might get them together on a project. I'd like to have a knife made of the old crosscut saw blades not stainless steel. I'd like to have the handle made from that tree.

I am a fan of carbon knives, that wood your dad is using and everything Clemson if it makes a difference. I also can hit a seven eleven (bank if needs be) and scrape together enough to pay them both for their trouble.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's the next project.***

May 17, 2016, 6:15 PM

May 17, 2016, 6:36 PM

Those are nice. What's the going price?

May 18, 2016, 11:42 AM

19b I need the pill caddy with my little coke I mean hot sauce spoon. Can he make one of those with the little spoon in it? #yourfavTrumpSupporter

May 18, 2016, 12:11 PM

###

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Can't wait for my pen!***

May 18, 2016, 3:57 PM

Did he get any of the bur oaks that fell on Bowman

May 18, 2016, 4:36 PM

field this past fall?

If he had Bowman field bur oak, do you think he'd be

May 18, 2016, 5:26 PM

on here talking to us?

May 18, 2016, 4:47 PM

Mine has been ordered looking forward to seeing it.

May 26, 2016, 6:36 PM

19, I would like to buy one for my son. Can you give some info.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 26, 2016, 7:36 PM

Forget that, just found your e-mail address.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Memorial Stadium White Oak Pens

May 28, 2016, 1:16 PM

Brian, I'm very interested. My Dad's forestry class planted that tree circa 1959. What do I do and how much?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 28, 2016, 3:27 PM

I emailed yesterday; waiting on a response.

got mine Saturday... and they're frikkin awesome

May 31, 2016, 1:09 PM

Got two, one for me and surprise gift for my old roomie. Could. Not. Be. More. Pleased.

Thanks 19B for all your help, and tell your dad he is the man.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Jun 18, 2016, 9:36 AM

How much are you pens and how do I get three? Trish Campbell

Aug 15, 2016, 1:43 PM

I got mine a few months back it is awesome thanks a ton.

Replies: 35
| visibility 51
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic