Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Swinney says "bad information" from mock drafts hurting juniors
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

New Story: Swinney says "bad information" from mock drafts hurting juniors

Feb 13, 2018, 8:13 AM

Swinney says "bad information" from mock drafts hurting juniors

Dabo Swinney didn’t put a certain number of stars by the names of Clelin Ferrell, Christian Wilkins, Kendall Joseph, Austin Bryant, Mitch Hyatt and Mark Fields during a recent press conference, but he didn’t have to. Their numbers and what those players mean to the Clemson program speak for themselves.
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Take that, Kiper and McShay!!!!***

Feb 13, 2018, 8:54 AM

Re: Take that, Kiper and McShay!!!!***

Feb 13, 2018, 9:31 AM

As long as schools allow those clowns on campus, they'll spew their crud for their own gain. Neither are worth cold spit...if they were, they'd not be working for ESPN. Their titles don't lie regarding their competency, which is...well, there is none.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 13, 2018, 10:29 AM

Them sumbitches are looking out for the NFL with hope of getting a kick back from NFL owners and general managers to obtain a rookie at below elite rookie price. And H&ll yes I believe there is a lot of that going on within the mock draft agencies. And it is the best time to under rate new rookies coming into the NFL when the stock of individual position are not at a big need for that year in the NFL, and this isn't the first time this has come to my thoughts when I have seen players that I have saw play on one team or another that I didn't understand how certain players that I have saw fall to the second or third round with as much talent they possessed in the game of FB... Yes I do believe that tampering is and has is going on at some point of the needs of certain positions by the need of rookies entering the NFL. I believe this tampering began when the NFL heads put salary caps on rookies coming into the NFL. Owners and General managers still had big needs for Elite rookies with small or smaller bank accounts allowed to obtain the Elite top to the middle of the first round type players!!!...

Dabo may have opened that can of worms of the going ons of how Elite rookies are being bought at below their actual talent price bc of being unfairly rubber stamped right before these Elite type players that has made a choice to enter the NFL. People are always beating the system, and some are doing it by paying people to find ways to beat the system, and they are doing just that. We all know that all rookies are paid by their Elite status when entering the NFL!!!! I'm sure these people understand how desperately poor some of the best talent coming in are, and the talk of how much money they will make opens them up to be cheated before their minds are actually made up, but the thought of the money cause them to make the decision that they probably wouldn't have if they had been brought up wealthy....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree

Feb 13, 2018, 12:19 PM [ in reply to Take that, Kiper and McShay!!!!*** ]

I’m SOOO tired of all these so called “pundits”.
They’re just a bunch of self important homers with an agenda.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 13, 2018, 1:59 PM [ in reply to Take that, Kiper and McShay!!!!*** ]

I'll be somewhat of a dissenting voice. Not that I condone the ratings, or false information that Kiper & McShay provide, but the appetite for their information. If people weren't buying, or paying for, their service, they'd be out of a job.

How many of us read, and keep up with ratings on high school recruits? How accurate are those ratings?

Kind of like weathermen, they just have to be right enough of the time to get you back again.

The important part is that Dabo & his staff have taken steps to make sure players get the most accurate information they can. His honesty throughout their entire relationship affords him their patience to let the process work out.

I think we're all happy for the addition of 4 10 star players to next year's roster.

Can't wait for next season. Go Tigers!

Feb 13, 2018, 10:48 PM

They are paid by scouts, owners, and GM's, so they would still make a fair living from the BS that they say to those folks looking for great get for cheap!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 13, 2018, 8:02 PM [ in reply to Take that, Kiper and McShay!!!!*** ]

Bill Polian, former Indianapolis Colts GM, once called out Kyper and/or McShay as being irrelevant to the Scouting Process.
This is usually proven out on NFL Draft Day !

Re: New Story: Swinney says

Feb 13, 2018, 10:05 AM

I think the NFL should adopt a NBA type style when it comes to entering the draft early. They are allowed to do the NBA combine and other events to get a real feel for how their draft stock is not just a report saying where they think they will be drafted. As long as that basketball player doesn't sign with a agent he can return to school if he doesn't like what he's hearing. I def think this would help the alarming amount of kids that ruin their football careers by making the jump to the NFL too early. If these guys could do the NFL combine and workout with teams to see how they stack against others and give them a legit view in how NFL teams are viewing them, actual NFL GMs and coaches. If they don't perform like they thought they would and not getting the feed back they wanted as long as they didn't sign with a agent they can return to college to play their senior year. I feel like that would help cut down on juniors leaving early and not even get drafted or drafted a lot lower than they thought and ruining their careers bc they got a good "grade" from some yahoo behind a computer looking at measurements and watching film. Perfect example is that qb from VT I think Evans, he played us in the ACC title game in 16. He had a great RS junior season first season as a starter and he ends up leaving and wasn't drafted and don't think he even made a practice squad. Another year at VT with a bigger sample size for NFL I def think he would have be getting drafted this year. He was very good and had great stats but def needed to play more than just the one season with VT. I just really think juniors should be able to do the combine and team workouts and if they want to come back they can. Just my thoughts Go Tigers!!!

Message was edited by: HunterClemsonTigers

Feb 13, 2018, 10:37 AM

There’s no way they could do that because of recruiting. National signing day is way before the nfl combine. Coaches couldn’t hold those scholarships for those players testing the water.

Feb 13, 2018, 10:45 AM

There would have to be some adjustments made of how that could be done, but the adjustments could be made by the NCAA allowing a certain number of scholarship to an excess for when a student would rather come back to school than to enter the NFL. I mean the NCAA is in part for looking after what's best for the kids, aren't they!!!!!

Feb 13, 2018, 11:20 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Swinney says ]

Yea I understand with the scholarship numbers and new classes coming in they would have to tweek a few things to make it work, but if the NCAA actually cares about these athletes like they say then there is a way to make it happen. Most teams usually only have a few number of juniors leaving at most would prob be 10 guys. They could make it where if they do decide to come back then their scholarship would still be there. It's not like we are talking about a lot of players from each team. There would need to be some changes but it's not impossible to make happen imho.

They could do it now with two the signing periods

Feb 13, 2018, 1:47 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Swinney says ]

With two signing periods, keep one in December for Early Enrollment's and move the February signing date to April or May. That would solve the problem. So you could use the December signing period to fill the needs from those who are graduating, and the April/May period to sign those Juniors/Sophomores you lose to the draft. Just an idea, probably never happen because it makes too much sense.

Re: They could do it now with two the signing periods

Feb 13, 2018, 3:30 PM

Spot on hunterclemsontiger and mrheyj - there is a solution here and it benefits the players, college programs and, to a lesser immediate degree, pro teams. I would argue for the NFL though, it extends the farm system / G-league aspect of college that Mike Vrabel recently talked about candidly. In the long run, NFL teams would likely have more developed, higher quality later round picks that are more proven assets, even if the length of their pro careers was a year or two shorter.

Feb 13, 2018, 10:38 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Swinney says ]

Just that would force the NFL owners to pay these kids what they are worth by just how talented they are. Bc once they hire an agent, they are stuck with what ever pay scale the NFL decides to place them in. And the ones they do get cheap are called their diamonds, but they wasn't in the rough, they put them in those situations just bc of the amount of talent that is coming in, in that same position!!!

It's all a guess until the draft clock starts and people

Feb 13, 2018, 12:03 PM

start getting selected, then it's all based on wants, needs, and what's left

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

RA'd for posting football article on 'My Kid Sucks' bored***

Feb 13, 2018, 12:14 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They should have learned from their DW4 and Beasley stupid

Feb 13, 2018, 12:21 PM

ratings, and should listen to Dabo.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They should have learned from their DW4 and Beasley stupid

Feb 13, 2018, 5:32 PM

It's a tough call. Some of these guys are just delusional about their own ability, but others are betting on themselves to light up the combine, because we've all seen how a pretty good player can vault himself into the top 10 with a sub 4.3 40. I can sit back here and judge them for taking a chance on getting a quick $5-10 million in guaranteed money instead of staying and developing another year and potentially earning more in the long run, but if I thought I had any shot at that kind of money, I can't say for sure I wouldn't take it instead of coming back and risking a career-ending injury before ever getting to the NFL.

Re: New Story: Swinney says "bad information" from mock drafts hurting juniors

Feb 14, 2018, 3:32 AM

Our players are very fortunate that the coaches want the nfl and other true representatives of the game to come in and talk to our guys before they pull out expecting a first round from the yahoo articles and end up 5th round

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

McGay couldn't draft any better than Cleveland.

Feb 14, 2018, 8:54 PM

and hair helmet Kiper either. I can't understand why people take them seriously when they are consistently wrong.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic