Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
McElrathbey to Receive Award at Duke Game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

Feb 21, 2007, 8:47 PM

The 2006 FedEx Orange Bowl-Football Writers' Association of America Courage Award will be formally presented to Clemson football player Ray Ray McElrathbey. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well deserved !!!!!

Feb 21, 2007, 8:54 PM

It would be difficult to come up with any other college athelete who would be a better recipient.

His example inspired many well beyond the football field.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I concur!***

Feb 21, 2007, 9:15 PM

Re: Please forgive me for sounding insensitive but

Feb 22, 2007, 3:55 AM

seriously, what is courageous about what Ray Ray did? Before someone flames me, think about it for a second. What self respecting man wouldn't have taken on the responsibility given to Ray? What jerk would have said, " No way little bro, you are going to the foster home, sorry, I might send you tickets to our games,peace out". You would have to be Class A scum to do that to your family. I could understand if Ray Ray jumped in front of a train and saved him or even worked three jobs to help pay for the kid but instead he gets a trust fund and has money pouring in from people all over America. An excessive amount even, that will help pay for probably generations of McElrathbey's. Oh and if anyone wants to take a cheap shot at me for this comment, I contributed to the trust fund and helped him out, so think again. I just don't understand the label "courageous". It is good that Clemson got exposure for it and all but there are other people in this same predicament that don't have trust funds set up for them and the kids end up in a foster home or on the streets. Its kind of sad. Just some random thoughts but I will still be at the game applauding for Ray Ray.

Feb 22, 2007, 9:03 AM

WEll change the name from courageous to the something else, regardless of the name he deserves the award

Feb 22, 2007, 9:11 AM [ in reply to Re: Please forgive me for sounding insensitive but ]

Ray Ray defined courage. Often there is a big difference between knowing what you should do and actually doing it. At 18 years old, I could see him justifying non-action by thinking "My brother will probably be better cared for in a foster home." There were probably many sensible adults that advised him to do that. But Ray Ray felt he knew what was really best and then he did it, at great personal sacrifice.

He had no way of knowing it would end up like it did (receiving the support of so many). By taking action to adopt his brother with no hope of outside help, he defined courage. I don't think many others in his exact situation would have done the same.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 22, 2007, 12:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Please forgive me for sounding insensitive but ]

Aside from all the obvious reasons why he is courageous, awesome, unselfish, etc. Think about it...most players leave the games on Saturday and look forward to a fun night out like most of us did. He does not. He goes home to Fahmarr and the life of a middle aged man...sounds like courage to me!

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic