Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson to Open 2008 Season against Alabama in Georgia Dome
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 48
| visibility 1

Jan 4, 2008, 3:38 PM

The game will be played August 30, 2008 and will be the first Saturday evening prime time telecast on either ESPN or ABC. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Two 1-AA?

Jan 4, 2008, 3:42 PM

i know it's not our fault, but we'll see that one as backlash

So much for any shot at a BCS championship

Jan 4, 2008, 3:44 PM

should we go somehow go undefeated with 2 1-AA's on the schedule.

Why? Strength of schedule is out of the equation now and

Jan 4, 2008, 3:45 PM

if we do go undefeated, we are just about guaranteed a spot. This is all absurd conjecture as we aren't going undefeated but anymore, the only way you go undefeated and don't get a shot is if there are more than 2 unbeatens left.

That has happened once in the last 10 years.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think you would pretty much agree that outside of the 1st

Jan 4, 2008, 3:47 PM

loss being in the ACC CG (meaning Clemson would be 12-1 at the time) the team has virtually no shot at receiving an at-large bid to the BCS.

Yes, but that wasn't what he said. He said even if we go

Jan 4, 2008, 3:49 PM

undefeated (which we won't) we now have no shot at the title. I was just pointing out that its absurd to think that. They removed strength of schedule from the formula and with so few teams going unbeaten these days, if we win, we're in.

Its still in the computer aspect because the computer progra

Jan 4, 2008, 3:55 PM

definitely look into won/loss scenarios, but you are correct to some degree.

We have seen in the last 2 years that voters DO consider factors such as that in the last poll of the year and make sure to just pick who they think is more deserving.....it would depend on who was behind Clemson with 1 loss.

Prior to WVU or LSU losing, there were a couple articles projecting things that said a 1-loss LSU team would probably jump WVU.

If you think strength of schedule is not included why is

Jan 6, 2008, 6:06 PM [ in reply to Yes, but that wasn't what he said. He said even if we go ]

LSU playing for the NC when they have two losses and Hawaii was left out? I know it's the correct choice, but they look at who your play. Two AA teams will hurt us.

Sorry for shownig the least bit of optimism

Jan 4, 2008, 3:50 PM [ in reply to Why? Strength of schedule is out of the equation now and ]

Didn't say we would go undefeated, but with as many starters coming back as we've got, we should have as strong a team as we've had in a very long time. Should start the season off no worse that Top 15.

Still, the one negative would be the weakness of our schedule as seen by the media. Let me rephrase it then, if we happen to be one of three one-loss teams, who gets left out considering the other two are from BCS conferences?

I don't even know that you can make that assumption.

Jan 4, 2008, 3:53 PM

There is no more strength of schedule component in the BCS rankings. 2/3 of it is human poll and we will most likely start in the top 15.

Maybe so

Jan 4, 2008, 3:54 PM [ in reply to Sorry for shownig the least bit of optimism ]

But the real death blow of the 1AA team was when SOS used to be part of the equation (as a computation, not an opinion). ALL of the 1AA teams losses counted against you and none of their wins (unless they came over 1A teams).

Now that its all in the eyes of the voters, I imagine there is little practical difference in the opinions of the average voter on whether we play SC State or a very weak Div 1A team.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Central Florida/La. Tech

Jan 6, 2008, 1:34 PM

It's not like we would get a whole lot of credit for wins over those two programs anyway.

Re: Why? Strength of schedule is out of the equation now and

Jan 4, 2008, 4:55 PM [ in reply to Why? Strength of schedule is out of the equation now and ]

Just Win the ACC Baby!!! Chips will fall where they may...

and quit putting the cart before the horse

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hawaii was undefeated but you don't see them playing OSU

Jan 4, 2008, 5:28 PM [ in reply to Why? Strength of schedule is out of the equation now and ]

instead we get a 2 loss LSU

Now THIS is HD at its finest!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Re: Hawaii was undefeated but you don't see them playing OSU

Jan 6, 2008, 4:22 PM

Hawaii is not in a BCS conference ex: ACC, SEC, PAC-10, BIG 12, Big East...they get the top bowls...they have to have to have 12 wins and in the top 12 in the BCS to even qualify for the BCS

IT'S back in.***

Jan 6, 2008, 11:50 AM [ in reply to Why? Strength of schedule is out of the equation now and ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

I disagree

Jan 4, 2008, 3:45 PM [ in reply to So much for any shot at a BCS championship ]

The fact that we'll start the season in the Top 15 has much more of a determination on whether we play for the BCS Championship should we go undefeated than the schedule does.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

worry about that when we go undefeated.***

Jan 4, 2008, 4:02 PM [ in reply to So much for any shot at a BCS championship ]

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FAT TAX NOW!

Ah, we'll be just "one play away" from it. ;) ******

Jan 4, 2008, 6:19 PM [ in reply to So much for any shot at a BCS championship ]

Re: So much for any shot at a BCS championship

Jan 4, 2008, 11:03 PM [ in reply to So much for any shot at a BCS championship ]

Bull crap. Go 12-1 with or without 2-1AA teams and we will be in the BCS as long as the lose is not at the end of the season or in the ACC Championship game.

Re: Two 1-AA?

Jan 4, 2008, 4:32 PM [ in reply to Two 1-AA? ]

How many 1-AA teams did Ohio State paly this year?

Re: Two 1-AA?

Jan 4, 2008, 11:01 PM [ in reply to Two 1-AA? ]

Who cares what anyone else thinks. Wins matter and not who they are against when you play a legit conference schedule.

well said***

Jan 4, 2008, 11:08 PM

Home schedule really does suck next year***

Jan 4, 2008, 3:45 PM

No joke.***

Jan 4, 2008, 3:56 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't like our road schedule....

Jan 4, 2008, 3:57 PM [ in reply to Home schedule really does suck next year*** ]

Kind of sucks to always have Away games the same year at Boston College, Florida State, and either Va Tech or Virginia.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BRING IT!

Virginia has been losers in the ACC until recently.

Jan 5, 2008, 4:21 PM

That said, they look good now and our road schedule looks rough. I think FSU has our number next year for no reason other than it is will be tough to win against them that many times in a row.

Re: I don't like our road schedule....

Jan 6, 2008, 6:09 PM [ in reply to I don't like our road schedule.... ]

I agree...will this ever "rotate" and work itself out??

Curious as to who the heck La. Tech wanted to play instead

Jan 4, 2008, 3:48 PM

of us.

Who is going to bring in more revenue for them? Perhaps a closer SEC team was looking for an extra game. Or maybe they need a win.

null

doesn't matter-- LA Tech was the game we needed to get rid

Jan 4, 2008, 3:52 PM

of to play Bama and keep our # of home games the same. It's the dropping of the UCF game that stinks.

I'm with ya. Just seemed odd. ******

Jan 4, 2008, 3:59 PM

null

Mississippi State***

Jan 4, 2008, 3:58 PM [ in reply to Curious as to who the heck La. Tech wanted to play instead ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Does home/away make a difference? Wouldn't they get more

Jan 5, 2008, 4:23 PM [ in reply to Curious as to who the heck La. Tech wanted to play instead ]

money traveling TO a big D1 school versus playing at home? or is the payout the same? I'm thinking not... but not sure.

looks like i'll make about 8 games next year. not bad.***

Jan 4, 2008, 4:06 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FAT TAX NOW!

Re: Clemson to Open 2008 Season against Alabama in Georgia Dome

Jan 4, 2008, 4:20 PM

We have no business playing Citadel or SC State

No kidding***

Jan 4, 2008, 4:59 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Jan 4, 2008, 11:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson to Open 2008 Season against Alabama in Georgia Dome ]

And no business playing Alabama in the Georgia Dome. It is stupid and greedy. We play poorly in Atlanta. Look at most of the Georgia Tech games and the Auburn game. Harper, Davis, Kelly, etc. play poorly in front of the home folks.

Just plain short sighted and greed. Short term potential money but greater prospect of not making the BCS which is means less money than any gained from playing Alabama. A lose against a good team is worse than a win against a weak team.

I think CJ likes the Georgia Dome

Jan 4, 2008, 11:13 PM

I'm not blind, nor do I think that Clemson played terrible on NYE. There were missed chances, for sure, but the team played with a lot of heart.

CJ had fun in the Georgia Dome, and he'll shine there next (this) year, too.

I think its a great way of opening the season, against a quality opponent.

yea, I know our season this year wasn't what most wanted, but I think the way we started gave us a lot of promise last year. Look for a great opportunity to do the same in '08.

Jan 4, 2008, 11:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson to Open 2008 Season against Alabama in Georgia Dome ]

I know its not the same team, but remember Atlanta in 2003??

Didn't play poorly then.

Hint: We want FSU after Alabama TDP!!!***

Jan 4, 2008, 5:27 PM

Re: Hint: We want FSU after Alabama TDP!!!***

Jan 5, 2008, 11:20 AM

Tell that to John Swafford the ACC sets the schedule, not Phillips.

Happy to play Bama. I wish we'd play more decent OOC teams.

Jan 5, 2008, 2:21 AM

I like when Clemson plays decent teams. I have no interest in watching Clemson beat the crap out of Furman, SC St., Citadel, etc. It's embarassing.

I think FSU set a good example for an out-of-conference schedule this past season. FSU played Alabama, Colorado, and UAB. FSU won all three. It was a respectable OOC schedule that was good for FSU and for college football.

I wonder if Tommy Bowden would still have a job if he played that kind of OOC schedule every year.

Re: Happy to play Bama. I wish we'd play more decent OOC teams.

Jan 5, 2008, 11:17 AM

Just remember -those two teams didn't want to play us. We probably could have gotten better games but not in Death Valley. How would you have liked the schedule to be only 4 home games? Remember schedules are made years in advance. It says something that teams aren't lining up to come to Clemson to play.

I'd rather see CU play decent teams home-&-home or neutral.

Jan 5, 2008, 1:45 PM

I'd rather see Clemson play decent teams home-and-home or on a neutral field (like the Bama game) than see 1-2 extra home games where Clemson destroys a creampuff. I don't mind ONE tune-up opener against a team like LaMon.

I understand that there's big money to be made from home games-- even against 1-AA cupcakes. (I wish I understood the difference in money generated from playing a home game against a 1-AA cupcake compared to a nationally televised game against a respectable team like Alabama--either neutral or H&H.) And I understand that TDP doesn't just get to pick anybody he wants. But I think that TDP could schedule better teams if he wanted to. And I can't help but wonder if he schedules so many cupcakes, in part, to provide cover for Bowden's mediocrity. Bowden's record looks very defensible when you include the cupcakes. But when you look at Clemson's record against decent teams, it's about 50-50.

I liked the Texas A&M home-and-home series we had a couple years ago. I also miss the old days (1980's) of the annual UGA rivalry-- although I think nowadays an anuual UGA game would be pretty ugly for Clemson.

I'd love to see us pick up some Big Ten teams-- which I think are pretty overrated.

Jan 5, 2008, 4:05 PM

With our road schedule this year....I'll take a couple of "cupcakes". I love opening against Alabama. I also think we pick up Auburn again for a home/away series.

Jan 5, 2008, 5:35 PM

unless I don't remember correctly, that home/away with Auburn is 2009/2010.

Re: Clemson to Open 2008 Season against Alabama in Georgia D

Jan 7, 2008, 11:31 AM

you do remember incorrectly, but only by 1yr off. We play @ Auburn in 2010, then draw them at home in 2011.

Good, Bowden can go 8-4 with a wussy schedule 2 x 1--AA????***

Jan 6, 2008, 11:26 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Chance for the BC Game Sept 27th? Sox host NYY that weekend

Jan 8, 2008, 1:46 PM

Or September 17th, Red Sox at home against the Blue Jays.

Replies: 48
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic