Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Player Update: Lateek Townsend will transfer
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 62
| visibility 1

Football Player Update: Lateek Townsend will transfer

Jan 24, 2013, 11:15 AM

Lateek Townsend will transfer

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seriously?! WTPh is happening.***

Jan 24, 2013, 11:17 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Don't stress

Jan 24, 2013, 11:18 AM

guys are transferring because they are being passed on the depth chart by younger players.

I'm hoping these guys are just the wimps who can't cut

Jan 24, 2013, 11:19 AM

what Venables is doing to them. Trimming the fat persay.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Re: I'm hoping these guys are just the wimps who can't cut

Jan 24, 2013, 11:39 AM

Lateek Townsend is no wimp and he can handle anything that's thrown at him physically. Where he's struggled is with playing under control and being where he's supposed to be in a particular defense. In high school, his job was to freelance and make plays. He's really good at that, but at this level, you can't have players, particularly linebackers do that. Do you remember the long LSU TD run where he gets by the LB and there's nobody close in the secondary? That wasn't Lateek's fault, for one because he wasn't on the field. It was, however, a situation where at least one player, if not two didn't maintain the leverage and position they were supposed to.

I agree and think that soccer guy was being very disrespect-

Jan 24, 2013, 12:00 PM

full speaking to which he has no clue what he is talking about. Some people should jst keep their opinions to themselves.

Re: I agree and think that soccer guy was being very disrespect-

Jan 24, 2013, 4:30 PM

U are exactly right...soccerkrzy is an a$$hole

Too much depth and Lateek wants to play football

Jan 24, 2013, 12:00 PM [ in reply to I'm hoping these guys are just the wimps who can't cut ]

Best of luck to him. I dont blame him, you only have 4 years to play college ball.

Re: I'm hoping these guys are just the wimps who can't cut

Jan 24, 2013, 12:05 PM [ in reply to I'm hoping these guys are just the wimps who can't cut ]

Don't know if true, but Lateek was said to have trouble getting assignments down, and they are not supposed to be as complicated as Steele's defense was. He was a head hunter on special teams, though, and I wish it would have worked out for him. I wish him the best.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Its like BUDS drop out rate increasing LOL***

Jan 25, 2013, 12:31 AM [ in reply to I'm hoping these guys are just the wimps who can't cut ]

He's not earning PT is what's happening

Jan 24, 2013, 11:19 AM [ in reply to Seriously?! WTPh is happening.*** ]

Seems to be the same story here as last year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not to mention Kellen Jones is waiting to blow up***

Jan 24, 2013, 11:24 AM

Let's see where he ends up and how he does there..

Jan 24, 2013, 12:13 PM [ in reply to He's not earning PT is what's happening ]

... I don't blame a player for wanting to go somewhere to be a better fit and a better player. If he ends up in a lesser Div 1A program or even a Div 1AA, or something, it will say a lot. He may shine there, but couldn't here.

Re: He's not earning PT is what's happening

Jan 24, 2013, 1:02 PM [ in reply to He's not earning PT is what's happening ]

I hope that this is all about playing time than some negative back story at work.

Two def players transferring in back to back days makes me very suspicious...

It's typical for college football.***

Jan 24, 2013, 12:36 PM [ in reply to Seriously?! WTPh is happening.*** ]

Geez...get a grip!

Jan 24, 2013, 1:18 PM [ in reply to Seriously?! WTPh is happening.*** ]

whats LT done since hes been here? Tie up a schlorship?
Give the staff some credit,gee.

NO BIGGIE,seriosly... :(

I'd love to see you immediately come back and make an

Jan 24, 2013, 7:00 PM

argument about the purpose of college athletics being primarily educational.

Ditto! ### Is Happening?

Jan 24, 2013, 7:14 PM [ in reply to Seriously?! WTPh is happening.*** ]

Is Venables a dik?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

wow.....players are leaving left and right***

Jan 24, 2013, 11:17 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just the ones that won't see the field.

Jan 24, 2013, 11:38 AM

I would rather have seen Teek take a RS this year and come back strong in 2014. Undoubtedly, not wanting to,seems he might be small college bound. Just a guess on my part, as sit out a year or RS means no playing in 2013 unless he's small school bound. Still wish him nothing but the best.

Re: Just the ones that won't see the field.

Jan 24, 2013, 11:43 AM

I wish both Lateek and Davis well. I also disagree re playing time. Lateek would have played on every kicking team once again, but he wouldn't have gotten a lot of time at LB. Also, I think that Davis stood a decent chance of getting some PT at CB or, more likely safety. I think his reasons are more off the field and him needing to be nearer his family.

AND , if you're right, we'll most likely see both of these

Jan 24, 2013, 11:49 AM

young men transfer to other big time programs, sit out a year, then make waves on the field. If , one or both wind up at smaller colleges where they won't have to sit out a year, then it was playing time.

Yea, and Townsend was surely to...

Jan 24, 2013, 1:20 PM [ in reply to wow.....players are leaving left and right*** ]

be a 1st team All Amer. in 2013.

bluu

(sarcasim)

LOL..."always be apart of me". Well, yeah, they will, now.***

Jan 24, 2013, 11:22 AM

Not too surprising. Too many LBs on the roster***

Jan 24, 2013, 11:23 AM

Re: Football Player Update: Lateek Townsend will transfer

Jan 24, 2013, 11:27 AM

Yep, I figured this was coming, no worries though we have plenty of depth at LB! I can't wait to see what Mr Jones and Boulware can do!!!

Wow. Kinda in shock on this one. I remember being stoked

Jan 24, 2013, 11:29 AM

when we landed him. He just seems like such a physical specimen, but perhaps he lacks the player IQ. Man...I really thought he was just having a down year and would come back full of vigor in 2013.

Good luck! Once a Tiger, always a Tiger. *******

Jan 24, 2013, 11:34 AM

If you are not All In

Jan 24, 2013, 11:40 AM

Clemson does need you. Thanks for freeing up a scholarship for someone who wants to compete instead of giving up and transferring. I was elated the day you chose Clemson. Wish it could have ended better for you. You will always be a Tiger.

Re: If you are not All In

Jan 24, 2013, 11:46 AM

Why bash a kid for making a decision he feels is in his best interest? If you were an athlete of his skill, but struggled for two years to get on the field, would you at least think about other options? Suppose you took a realistic look at the depth chart and saw that you were going to continue to play on special teams, but that you had very little chance to get on the field at LB. Do you think that the idea of playing for another smaller school might be appealing?

I seriously hope this decision is not solely about football.

Jan 24, 2013, 11:37 AM

He's way too talented to let go over pt. Surely we could satisfy him about his role on the team.

If it's grades or some other personal issue, that would take some of the sting out of it. But for a fan favorite to leave because we couldn't find a way to get him on the field more is very disappointing. The guy is a baller. He'll take somebody's head off on every play.

There was a lot of talk about how he had trouble getting the mental part of it down, but isn't that just a coaching thing? Shouldn't we be able to coach him up in three years, for goodness' sake?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

I don't put that on coaching

Jan 24, 2013, 11:39 AM

The other players seem to have no problem learning and applying Venables's system and Venables isn't going to make a special blitz package just for Teek. He wants guys that he can trust to stay on the field the whole game.

This is the same problem that Bellamy had last year. The playbook isn't that complicated, he just didn't put forth the effort to learn it and it kept him off the field because Morris couldn't trust him.

Re: I don't put that on coaching

Jan 24, 2013, 11:44 AM

I have a hard time believing Teek couldn't get his assignments down by his third year. It's also hard to believe that he's so far down the depth chart that ST is his only role. I still strongly hope it was something personal. Like you say, it's not that doggone complicated to learn the system. Surely a third year player would be getting it by now.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If he stuck around who's the say.

Jan 24, 2013, 11:48 AM

Either he didn't like the competition and wants to play immediately, wouldn't be surprising considering how talented he is, or it's for some other reason. I tend to think it's the former. He was a loose canon in HS and that meant he was a high risk high reward player. He'd make a great play but was just as likely to give up a big one as well.

Jan 24, 2013, 11:49 AM [ in reply to Re: I don't put that on coaching ]

Townsend never had specific responsibilities in high school. He was just a freelance head hunter and play maker. He's good at those things, but simply wasn't able to make the adjustment to do anything other than run around and make plays. That's great when you hit the guy in the backfield, but not so good when you're not in your gap and they break one down the middle for 50.

Jan 24, 2013, 11:57 AM

Well, here's another angle then. If he has so much trouble learning his assignments in football, I doubt he could pass a legitimate college course.

Now, before someone jumps on me for saying he couldn't hack it academically, I hasten to add that the converse would be true, too. If he was making good grades, then he's obviously smart enough to learn the LB playbook.

I think we all agree that his issue is not physical ability. There can't be that many guys on our roster with so much ability that Teek would ride pine. So, I wonder about his academics. If he's having issues in the classroom, I could see the argument that the light hadn't come on yet on the field.

I still hope it's something personal. A guy like Teek is too gifted not to figure out a way to use him on the field.

Jan 24, 2013, 12:11 PM

Look, when I was a football manager, I saw a lot of can't miss prospects that never saw the field. They couldn't adjust. Some of them were used to being the big fish in a small pond and suddenly they were just another fish in a big lake. I also saw players no one thought would ever play star. You never know whats in a kids head. If they can't or won't cut it -go somewhere else and open a scholly for someone who will.

Jan 24, 2013, 12:19 PM

I really don't think Teek fits in that category. Dabo called him a headhunter during a presser this season. I simply can't believe it was anything like a lack of ability. Now, if his grades were a problem then I could accept the explanation that he couldn't learn his assignments.

I still think this decision is about more than football or pt. There has to be a grade issue or some other big personal matter. It's not a case of attitude or ability as you suggest.

He's had 2 different DC's and LB coaches

Jan 24, 2013, 12:21 PM [ in reply to Re: I don't put that on coaching ]

and neither saw him beating out anyone we have and playing him. Grades don't mean anything, it's discipline. He made the grades in school as he was eligible for the bowl, but just because he did that does not mean he was able to execute a game plan at game speed. He was never asked to play within a scheme in high school. Why is it so hard to grasp he may not have been able to make that adjustment(he clearly didn't) here. Talent and athleticism get you a scholarship, but not playing time

Re: He's had 2 different DC's and LB coaches

Jan 24, 2013, 12:23 PM

He'd be a third year player, that's why it's hard for me to accept that explanation. If he's intelligent, the coaches should be able to communicate the scheme by his third year.

So none of the other LB's picked up on the scheme?

Jan 24, 2013, 12:28 PM

Under Steele it was a mess, but he was a freshman. Under Venables our LB crew showed improvement throughout the year. He's looking up at Anthony, Steward, Christian and Parker. This is a PT issue plain and simple. If he was the best OLB, he'd have been on the field. Coaches play the best players. Hence a guy like Shuey beating out Anthiny at MLB and probably moving him outside with Jones now in the fold at MLB. Athletic ability simply is not enough to get you on the field at top programs. Have to play within a system, head hunter or not

Re: So none of the other LB's picked up on the scheme?

Jan 24, 2013, 12:32 PM

Well, if that's the case, I'll say this: we're gonna be awfully dang good at LB this year. If Lateek can't crack the 2-deep, we have some nasty good players keeping him off the field.

You have to remember against spread offenses, of which

Jan 24, 2013, 12:36 PM

we face many, we only play 2 LB's. So basically we have 5 guys now competing for 1 spot on the field at OLB, as we have a nickel package in. I'm disappointed he couldn't crack the line up as he is physically very gifted. I just know if he had been the best option, he'd have played, and he never did. I think he saw that probably wasn't going to change next year with 4 quality options ahead of him

He's a fan favorite because he was a highly rated recruit

Jan 24, 2013, 11:52 AM [ in reply to I seriously hope this decision is not solely about football. ]

he's done nothing on the field. OLB depth includes Steward, probably Anthony, Christian, Parker, Burrell plus any recruits we get this cycle. He simply was not going to play as he could not keep his assignments. He's a great athlete, but if you aren't in the right place, you don't take anyone's head off. I wish him well, but we are fine at LB. He's a great athlete but never learned to play without free lancing, and free lancing means busted assignments and a seat on the bench. Coaches play the best players, he was never one of them

Re: I seriously hope this decision is not solely about football.

Jan 24, 2013, 4:43 PM [ in reply to I seriously hope this decision is not solely about football. ]

David78, with all due respect, if he was not performing at a level to be one of the 11 on defense, then he shouldn't play. The coaches also have careers here to be considered and I think you would agree that the coaches, as well as you, want the 11 best players on the field. In our coaches view, he did not do that. We all wish Lateek much success in the future wherever he goes, but it is my view that the requirements to play Div 1 football are no different at Clemson than any other good Div 1 school.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not suprised in the least

Jan 24, 2013, 11:37 AM

Teek is a physical war daddy but he couldn't get the defense down. Venables is not going to draw up a blitz package just for him so it was up to hiim to learn the playbook and he didn't/couldn't do it. Considering that Venables's scheme is easier then Steele's that's saying something.

Wish you the best Teek.

Hmm, Dabo visiting 5 star LB right when a LB leaves

Jan 24, 2013, 11:57 AM

We visit an elite DB right around the time a DB leaves? I think we are using these open spots as a powerful recruiting tool. I think great recruits will see a huge opportunity with these openings.

I really wanted to see both Teek and Cortez pan out to be great CU players, and I still think they could have been. Oh well, goodluck and we're moving fwd regardless!

Maybe playing wrong position?? Could he have been another

Jan 24, 2013, 12:04 PM

DeAndre McDaniel - bada$$ safety?

Physically yes, much better than Deandre

Jan 24, 2013, 12:33 PM

but mentally, NEVER. He couldnt figure out the LB scheme, no way he could figure out a safety's responsibilities.

maybe we're becoming an SEC power now

Jan 24, 2013, 12:04 PM

start dumping players that don't cut it....

or we're freeing up space for more walkons...;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So, let me guess...he's going to SC State?

Jan 24, 2013, 12:13 PM

If he wants to play right away, he will have to go FCS. Question for the board: How can you not learn the Defense, yet still remain eligible academically? My guess is that he has refused to execute with any type of Discipline in practice - hence, very limited snaps.

I don't like this

Jan 24, 2013, 12:15 PM

We are not so loaded with defensive talent that we can allow an athlete of his caliber to get away. I always wanted to give him a shot at safety (but what do I know) ;)

Some advice for you

Jan 24, 2013, 1:22 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFnFr-DOPf8

:D

yoda

Re: I don't like this

Jan 24, 2013, 4:45 PM [ in reply to I don't like this ]

I agree with you about the "try out" at the safety position but do we know that Lateek would accept that?

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow, so many negative comments...over a kid's decision

Jan 24, 2013, 12:20 PM

I wish you luck on your future endeavors, Lateek.

Don't pay attention to these "adults" who don't know squat about your situation.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No big deal, 28 plays in two years

Jan 24, 2013, 12:30 PM

He was going to be passed on the depth chart by Kellen Jones now that he sat his year out. Lateek did not have the smarts to pick up the defense. Too undisciplined to play. All he was ever going to be for Clemson was a special teams player. Even in the blowouts he didnt come in until the third teamers got in.

You've got to hate seeing good talent not developing.....

Jan 24, 2013, 12:33 PM

for whatever reasons. I wish him well. Maybe it will open up a scholly for a position that we really need.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

Good luck Lateek! You'll always be a Tiger. I wish things

Jan 24, 2013, 12:58 PM

had worked out to stay at CU, but i'm sure he'll land on his feet. Always loved his attitude and hope the remaining guys have as much fire as he did.

^^^ This***

Jan 24, 2013, 12:59 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Dude abides

Sorta saw this coming... Good Luck Lateek!!!!***

Jan 24, 2013, 1:50 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hate seeing Lateek go, but rest assured guys: Steward and

Jan 24, 2013, 5:02 PM

Stephone are both ready to blow up IMO. Steward is close to 100% again from what I've seen, and he's going to get his chance to shine in 2013.

We've got Spencer back in the middle and Quandon is a seasoned vet who can make plays here and there to change momentum. Like I said though, I expect Tony and Stephone to both step up in a big way. The fact that we bring back so much DL is going to help our LBs and secondary for sure, IMO.

.. bringing in Boulware and O'Daniel never hurts either. Both guys are good enough to play right away. Clemson is going to be just fine.

Jan 24, 2013, 6:29 PM

I hate to see him go. He was a ball hawk that made tackles. For the number of plays played he, made an awful lot of tackles. It is a coaches responsibility to coach em up or get them in the right position and let em play. Good luck to him in his career.

Jan 24, 2013, 8:44 PM

10 tackles in 28 plays...sounds like a phenom waiting to explode to me. With how many yards and points our defense gave up last year youd think they would throw a Boss like Teek out there for more than 28 plays.considering our "D" was getting eat up most of the year.

The "D" definitely improved over the year though, looked to me like the coaches stuck to their guns and did it right, cuz the players kept playing hard, and definitely improved as a whole.

sad to see Teek go...

Replies: 62
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic