Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Would we have won the title last year with Watson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 49
| visibility 1

Would we have won the title last year with Watson

Apr 10, 2018, 9:22 AM

I've been watching the KB arguments and was just wondering. If we had Watson do we win back to back titles?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As poorly as the OL played, probably not...

Apr 10, 2018, 9:31 AM

Too many dropped passes as well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: As poorly as the OL played, probably not...

Apr 10, 2018, 1:32 PM

OL would have been blocking 2 less guys every play.

Apr 10, 2018, 3:07 PM [ in reply to As poorly as the OL played, probably not... ]

LOL what??? This OL graded as one of the best OL at Clemson of all times? Can't expect 4 people to guard 6 every play, KB isn't a threat to throw deep so why not just blitz every play, Watson would've moved the ball forced the defense back same reason his running was so effective even though he only ran a 4.6

Apr 10, 2018, 9:41 PM [ in reply to As poorly as the OL played, probably not... ]

Last year's OL was better than the one Watson won a national championship with. Difference is that Watson knew how to call protections and was a wizard at evading pressure. Bryant doesn't and has terrible pocket presence.

Not with the O-line blocking like they did against bama***

Apr 10, 2018, 9:32 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.”

? John Wayne

Maybe, maybe not...

Apr 10, 2018, 9:33 AM

sure, DW4 had more experience & uncanny ability to be an extra coach on the field so to make that needed read or adjustment.

But, having Joe Montana would have helped too..but the game was on kellyB’s watch and He & “Team” didn’t get the job done.

Case Closed!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Would we have won the title last year with Watson

Nope.... not enough expertise in RB blocking, OL, TE, WR routes and downfield work. It does sound like the coaches have addressed those areas during Spring practice, though - so this year might be very good.

Apr 10, 2018, 10:53 AM

Let's take a look at facts here....

Our O-line was better last year, and Bama's front 7 was not as good last year as they were the year prior. The O-line getting whipped was 100% due to Bama not respecting our passing game and blitzing every time. That is facts. It has nothing to do w/ our o-line or WR's.

People keep saying that KB didn't have the WR's that Deshaun did. Deshaun torched Bama in the first natty game w/ Artavis Scott and Hunter Renfrow. Your argument is invalid. Not to mention the fact that Deon Cain and Ray Ray had better statistics as back ups w/ Deshaun than they did with KB as featured WR's. Again, these points are all FACTS

The screen game was Rob Spence level last year. The screen game was awesome w/ Boyd and Deshaun. It really kept the defense on their toes. Last year it was horrible. It wasn't that Kelly couldn't hit the WR's in the numbers. It was due to him not having the arm strength to get the ball out there quickly. The WR would get hit pretty much immediately and we went away from the screen.

I like Kelly Bryant. He is tough as nails and is a true Clemson man. Unfortunately he is just an average passer. I've heard he has improved a ton this spring, so hopefully he proves me wrong.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 10, 2018, 7:02 PM

You make some good points, but the main issue I have with your argument is the conflict in these statements:

* "Our O-line was better last year"
* "Bama's front 7 was not as good last year as they were the year prior"
* "The O-line getting whipped was 100% due to Bama not respecting our passing game and blitzing every time"

So, in your version of "facts", a weak 'Bama front 7 was able to beat a better O-line than we had the year before..... I suggest that while we may have had a better O-line, they didn't play better.

And, the reason 'Bama didn't respect our passing game was because our WRs could not get loose against 'Bama's secondary. And when they did (not many times), KB couldn't get the ball to them in a catch zone..... and when he did, they couldn't catch it. Some of that was due to WR efforts, some due to OL miscues and some due to KB mistakes.

And, we had no TE to speak of - for most all of the season.

I like KB, too - but the combination of him and his TE and WRs has not shown the ability to connect consistently "on-demand" like DW4 could do with Williams and Leggett. Hopefully this year will show improvement.`

Yes.

He would have gotten the OL into the right protections, gotten the RB set right, and gotten the ball out of his hands faster.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Sure we could have, what gets lost is that Bama came into

Apr 10, 2018, 9:34 AM

the game with 0 respect for our passing offense so they blitzed every play. I don't care who you have on the o-line when they can bring pressure every play like that with little fear that you'll burn them, it won't be pretty.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I really do hope

Apr 10, 2018, 9:43 AM

everyone saying that we would have lost is joking. We would have been an arguably top 10 college football team all time with Desahun back, zero question asked.

Re: I really do hope

Apr 10, 2018, 9:48 AM

I feel as though we would have won and I'm 100% certain if we didn't it would have been a loss by a touchdown or less. I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Message was edited by: want to win

Re: I really do hope

Apr 10, 2018, 1:33 PM [ in reply to I really do hope ]

Correct. We would have been loaded and Bama was worse than they were the year before.

We lacked difference makers at wide receiver.

Apr 10, 2018, 10:10 AM

Even Watson would have had a hard time winning without Mike Williams and Jordan Leggett making spectacular catches or clearing the way in the screen game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We lacked difference makers at wide receiver.

Apr 10, 2018, 10:21 AM

On nearly perfect screen passes at that ...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Without a pass protecting RB or baller TE,

Apr 10, 2018, 10:23 AM

no.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Definitely imo.*****

Apr 10, 2018, 10:25 AM

In a word,

Apr 10, 2018, 10:29 AM

Yes.

Maybe the moment won’t be too big for KB next time around. Say what you will about the O-line, but there was too much hesitation and uncertainty with the ball. Some of the blame could possibly be placed on the play calling. Whatever it was, I pray we are better prepared for big boy football.

WL

Apr 10, 2018, 10:32 AM

I think yes. Watson would have kept Alabama's defense honest which would have opened up the run game and helped out the offensive line

He hung 40 on Bama 2 years before and lost, so maybe.

Apr 10, 2018, 10:44 AM

I do not doubt Clemson would have looked a lot less inept on offense against Bama with him at the helm.

I see most people gawk over the throw he made at UGA in 2014. Laser pointed dagger, no doubt. The coaches recruited the arm talent, they knew he had those physical skills, but the part they gush over about that play was the pre-snap adjustment DW made when he recognized the coverage/blitz UGA was in something they called Stud Poker. It is something they went over in game planning, but it's not something UGA show very often. If DW4 doesn't recognize the defensive set-up, Howard is not moved to pick up the blitz on the right side and that throw might never have happened.

It is that between the ears difference that separates DW from so many pretenders. Alabama is far too good to not get theirs. They sacked DW4 4 times and had excellent chances as several others in Clemson's National Championship win including a straight run at him in the final drive where he managed to bounce off a would be blitzer to extend the play and prevent a 10ish yard sack. Clemson was not good enough last year to get theirs[plenty of reasons people want to give], but DW4 certainly would have gotten some, merely for his ability to adjust pre-snap to what Alabama was showing, then make the proper correction & check giving Clemson the best chance to win on any given play.

That's his greatness.

So yes, I do like Clemson's chances with a young man that is not only physically gifted, but a true field general, able to make something out of nothing with his legs, his arm and his +++ football acumen. That doesn't mean as we saw in 2015 that Clemson would win. Alabama is a great program too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He hung 40 on Bama 2 years before and lost, so maybe.

Apr 10, 2018, 10:51 AM

Very true and fair assessment.

WL

Rock solid response - DW4 was audible master***

Apr 10, 2018, 6:16 PM [ in reply to He hung 40 on Bama 2 years before and lost, so maybe. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Probably

Apr 10, 2018, 11:02 AM

It wouldn't have been a given though.

Apr 10, 2018, 1:23 PM

Yes without a doubt. Deshaun was one of the G.O.A.T and would've found a way to win the Bama game. We would've beat Georgia with KB.....

No.***

Apr 10, 2018, 1:27 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 10, 2018, 1:31 PM

Yes, we would have beat Bama easily and rolled UGA.

What I've curious about from the game was the cointoss...

Apr 10, 2018, 1:33 PM

They deferred, so we picked the 1st half. What if we would've elected to kickoff both halves and won field position? Getting the ball first and going 3 & out lost us the field position game and the D played in our territory the whole half. Would've been interesting to see how the game would've unfolded had we done that to Bama.

Re: What I've curious about from the game was the cointoss...

Apr 10, 2018, 1:38 PM

LMFAO. I AM SURE YOU HAVE "KNOWLEDGE" OF IT BUT I SURE DONT REMEMBER A COACH SAYING " HEY WOULDNT IT BE A GREAT IDEA IF WE KICKED OFF BOTH HALVES". SMFH.

There ya go making stuff up to read that isn't there just so

Apr 10, 2018, 1:43 PM

you have something to complain about. The OP was asking about a hypothetical. I'm simply introducing a new one. At no point in my post did I say we SHOULD have done it or that the coaches were WRONG to do it. It's a "what if". See how this works: people post about things and then you can go back and forth with ideas, hypotheticals, scenarios, etc. It's a conversation where civil people respond to one another w/o being hostile.

Re: There ya go making stuff up to read that isn't there just so

Apr 10, 2018, 1:46 PM

Poor you

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

If you have anything intelligent to add, now would be the...

Apr 10, 2018, 1:47 PM

time. Are you capable of responding with anything logical, ideas, anything?

Apr 10, 2018, 2:09 PM [ in reply to There ya go making stuff up to read that isn't there just so ]

SO LOL'ING ABOUT SUCH A STUPID THING IS BEING HOSTILE HUH. GOT IT. MY APOLOGIES.

Apr 10, 2018, 3:02 PM

Mocking my "knowledge" as you call it, yes, you're being rude and hostile. And it's always funny how people on here will run their mouths so big when their is the internet between them. I'm at the games if you ever wanna come over and mock me to my face.

Apr 10, 2018, 3:05 PM

Just as an unbiased observer, it would be incredibly stupid to kick the ball off for both halves. So that "hypothetical" is a non-starter.

As for people being hostile, you and DK didn't exactly "turn the other cheek" in the other thread.

Just sayin'.

Apr 10, 2018, 4:10 PM

Why would it be incredibly stupid? Do you think we'd have a better with the ball at midfield if we played D and they punted or if we got the ball first?

And I was fine in the other thread until people started attacking for zero reason. If anyone has an opinion on here, people attack and make it personal. I don't mind people attacking ideas and disagreeing, that's the fun in all of it, but people attack people and that's not okay.

Apr 10, 2018, 5:24 PM

One of the reasons we had such terrible field position all game was Bama's punter. He was incredible, and could flip the field on every stop regardless of where they were.

Not to mention kicking off at both halves basically means you're taking a possession away from yourself, in a game where there will be a limited number of possessions.

I don't think people should be attacked either, but I find it funny when the ones claiming they're being attacked then gang up and attack another poster, yet still complain (or point out, whatever you want to call it) that they're still being attacked.

Differing opinions are necessary for a message board, where one debates sports topics, among the other boards we have. The animosity starts on one side, but the other side then picks it up as well, or takes offense to the opposing opinion and lashes out.

Apr 10, 2018, 5:44 PM

Bama's punter didn't have to do anything. He kicked from midfield every time b/c we couldn't get a 1st down. And that game was going to be about field position, not number of possessions. With our D, we were going to get chances. We just couldn't sustain anything.

And I don't lash out or gang up on people unless they attack me. I'm more than cordial and I love debating and talking ideas and having different perspectives. Last night the posters attacked me and others, and we all responded. It's not like we all ganged up on anyone.

Apr 11, 2018, 9:29 AM

Field position didn't have much to do with it, I'm sorry but that's just a fact. We had 6 drives that were for 3 yards or less, including the first drive in the second half where we recovered a fumble at Alabama's 20 yard line. That drive went for -5 yards and we kicked a field goal. You can't ask for better field position than your opponents 20 with momentum after a turnover.

For the record, I'm not calling you stupid, but to choose to kick at the start of both halves is stupid, and why it's never intentionally done.

I've seen several threads where you, and others, instantly start going back and forth. My point wasn't who started it, it's the simple fact that you point out others attacking you while at the same time attacking back. To state it like parents everywhere do, it doesn't matter what the other person does, it's what you do. I myself have been guilty of arguing and attacking, however, I've tried to change that up and would rather just back away instead of wasting precious time and energy in pointless debates.

Apr 10, 2018, 3:12 PM [ in reply to Re: There ya go making stuff up to read that isn't there just so ]

LOL IT ALWAYS GETS BACK TO WANTING TO WHIP SOMEBODIES A$$. A LITTLE TOUCHY I WOULD SAY. WHAT GAMES YOU EVER AT. YOU ALWAYS IN HERE TELLING EVERYONE WHAT MONTE "SHOULD" DO.

Apr 10, 2018, 4:11 PM

I go to plenty of the baseball games. And the ones I don't go to I watch. I don't miss a pitch.

Apr 10, 2018, 4:17 PM

WHICH ONES. NO FAIR FIBBING.

I went to the USuC series...

Apr 10, 2018, 4:22 PM

I live in Lexington so it's easy for me to make all of those. The Mich St game in Greenville (which was insanely cold and they ran out of hot chocolate and everything else at The DugOut!!!), the Furman game in Greenville, and the Saturday game for the GT and BC series. I'll be back up there Sunday for the Miami game. I was going tonight with my brother, but the game starts @ 6:30pm and I have interviews to do until 6pm so it'd be too late. Wbu?

Apr 10, 2018, 1:44 PM

Never, EVER, underestimate the magic inside DW4

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's a moot point

Apr 10, 2018, 2:24 PM

DW4 would have torn his ACL in a non-contact drill in practice and missed the remainder of the season. Whether KB would have had enough time to adjust and finish out the year, that's debatable. Those NC State and FSU games would have been infinitely tougher to win if KB hadn't played much to that point!
:)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In a word, yes.***

Apr 10, 2018, 5:54 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em - The Webb Wilder credo

Apr 10, 2018, 9:06 PM

Who knows? Watson had and has more weapons. Receivers had butter fingers in Bama game. 6

needed Watson AND Mike Williams

Apr 11, 2018, 7:27 AM

don’t think we had downfield threat without Williams. But I would never bet against Watson, so you never know

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 11, 2018, 7:44 AM

Not sure but definitely if Aaron Rodgers, Sammy Watkins, Nuke hopkins, and the Oline of the Eagles were wearing Orange that day! You can what if yourself to death, we had a good year, we are better this year than last, enjoy the ride, the best is yet to come!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 49
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic