Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
This rivalry list stinks ( link)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

This rivalry list stinks ( link)

Nov 1, 2019, 6:23 AM

Only #18? Look at some of the crap games ahead of ours.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-top-25-rivalries-college-football-history-2015%3famp

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

These lists rarely bother me. Our rivalry is our rivalry.

Nov 1, 2019, 6:31 AM

It’s not really intended for national consumption or assessment.

Having said that, I will say that rivalries that are currently on a hiatus are hard to justify as “highly ranked”. The Backyard Brawl (WVU-Pitt) was a great rivalry, but then they dumped it for a decade. Hard to say it’s such a critical rivalry when they let it go for ten years.

null

We'd be much higher on the list if

Nov 1, 2019, 6:45 AM

our rival was worth anything.

^ this***

Nov 1, 2019, 6:50 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Good

Nov 1, 2019, 6:52 AM

To be quite honest, being associated with them in a "rivalry" is embarrassing anyways.

I've said it a million times...NOBODY outside of the state of South Carolina gives a rip. The reason? South Carolina has never been relevant nationally.

The ONLY people who care about our "rivalry" (cough, cough) are our fans, or theirs.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This rivalry list stinks ( link)

Nov 1, 2019, 7:16 AM

No, it doesn't, not when you consider this is more of a mismatch where your talent level is so much better year in and year out.

Maybe it's because Dabo said it was a domination***

Nov 1, 2019, 7:31 AM

"Stalwart universities—Harvard, Princeton, Yale—most certainly offer status. The Citadel offers character. "

Nov 1, 2019, 8:31 AM

I thought we had won five in a row and going for six.Really I may be wrong or the article could have been written last year

You ain't wrong

Nov 1, 2019, 8:39 AM

Old article

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

The Clemson-Carolina rivalry belongs in the Top 10 as

Nov 1, 2019, 8:31 AM

far as hatred between the 2 schools but lags in national importance because of SC lack of success in football. I believe if Clemson- Georgia had continue to play ever year like they once did that rivalry would be definitely ranked much higher than 18th.

Nov 1, 2019, 8:36 AM

Surprised at several ahead of us, but surprised at a few behind us as well. I really would have expected Minnesota and Wisconsin to be higher.

Playing for an 'ax' is

Nov 1, 2019, 8:46 AM

Probably not a very 'PC' thing to be doing! ;)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think they got it about right. Let's face it, for a long

Nov 1, 2019, 8:44 AM

time, NEITHER team in our rivalry was very good. And, one of them still isn't. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 1, 2019, 10:02 AM

How much longer will status quo have to remain for Clemson vs Alabama to creep onto this list.

Some of these rivalries have a lot of important games, but the Clemson vs Alabama game is literally deciding the national champion for 4 years in a row right now.

National Rivalrys?

Nov 1, 2019, 10:22 AM

I haven't missed a Clemson/South Carolina game in a long long time. I'm glad we settle the state championship by playing the Gamecocks every year. Because SC is a small state and there is significant animosity between the two school, I think the games are always intense as fans on both sides are really committed to their team. Losing hurts. Winning feels good. It doesn't bother me in the least that fans outside the state do not care much or pay much attention.

I don't have any established habit of watching the other games listed as rivals that is the least bit important to me. I like it when Auburn beats Bama. I like it when GT beats Georgia. But I never make it a point to watch those games or almost any other.

I do watch Army/Navy every year, I think because it's outside the regular season and so easy to watch. Because my father was a career soldier and I grew up an Army brat living on or near Army bases, I always root for Army.

Calling some of these games rivalry seems a stretch. Oklahoma has such a huge lead over OK State I cannot see it them as rivals. And any two teams that agree to stop playing each other never were really rivals in my book. When Texas and TAMU stopped playing it meant neither side really cared much at all. When Pitt and WVU quit playing, no one noticed and no one cared. Duke and UNC are not rivals in football; all the tension between those two schools is due to basketball.

Go Tigers!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: National Rivalrys?

Nov 1, 2019, 10:41 AM

I would pit is at No 4 behind Alabama-Auburn, O310 St-Mich, Army-Navy, with OK-Texas, Miami-FL ST-FL-UGA-Auburn(everybody Can't be your rival) and Harvard-Yale behind Clemson-UofSC.

In state rivals take on a different aspect. More than 100 years counts extra too.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here’s another consideration. This article lists programs

Nov 1, 2019, 1:57 PM [ in reply to National Rivalrys? ]

that Contenders should cheer for to improve their chances of making the playoffs.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/page/gamedaykickoff103119/in-college-football-playoff-race-fans-root-rivals

For Clemson, it says to root for UofSC.

My guess is a lot of Clemson fans might pull for UofSC If that specific win was the definite difference between us making the playoff or not, but almost no Clemson fans will cheer for UofSC because it generally makes us look good. Because rivalry.

null

Nov 1, 2019, 10:51 AM

Right now the top rivalry in College Football is Alabama - Clemson IMHO.

Nov 1, 2019, 3:50 PM

I agree we should be higher on the list.

To me a rivalry requires a few things, you must play every season (or nearly), must have a history, must be mutually viewed as a rivalry, must be the one game you want to win every year.

I disagree we have a rivalry with 'bamer. It's only been since the CFP that it's mattered. We have only played them 19 times , and only 6 times since 1975. They consider auburn as their rival and I don't see anyone taking their place. Has it been an important run of games, yes. Is it a rivalry, no.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic