Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Littlejohn soldout and filled
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Littlejohn soldout and filled

Jan 27, 2019, 10:12 PM

During my school days at CU, I can only remember a few times that either Fike or Littlejohn was full during the week or even the weekend. Does anyone ever remember when we had a full house for all home basketball games? Last year was great. I have rewatched the Auburn game several times and it will never grow old. What Coach has ever given a better BBall season than Brad did last season?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Littlejohn soldout and filled

Jan 27, 2019, 10:22 PM

Last season is last season, but the question beckons what have you done for us this year. Right now we are 1-4 in ACC play. Forget the two home losses to Duke, and Virginia, our only home win was against Ga. Tech and the other 3 losses were all away games.
That's not getting the job done.

Jan 27, 2019, 10:35 PM

Would rather be a run of the mill program than a no character one. Hope we never see a Tates Locke again even though I loved watching him and his team.

To compete in the ACC from our vantage point

Jan 27, 2019, 10:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Littlejohn soldout and filled ]

You gotta beat; ga tech, va tech, ncsu, bc wake, FSU, Pitt, Miami... if you lose any of those mid-low pack games you probably won’t make it happen. Losing to FSU and state puts us behind the eight ball bad. Bc you more than likely are going to consistently lose to unc, Duke, uva, Louisville and Syracuse. So that 6th and 7th place spots are whatcall the rest are playing for.

Re: To compete in the ACC from our vantage point

Jan 28, 2019, 12:58 PM

We can get to 6th tho. Win our next 3 we will probably be pretty close.

You are correct, but there is a lot of revisionist history

Jan 27, 2019, 11:18 PM

being posted here. Many of the anti-Brownell crowd make it sound like we regularly had students camping out for tickets when Rick Barnes and Oliver Purnell were coaching here. They want you to believe that we had a lot of sellouts, with Littlejohn packed with loud passionate fans.

Don't believe them.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: You are correct, but there is a lot of revisionist history

Jan 28, 2019, 5:01 AM

Thank you for writing your reply. Every word is correct. We have not made basketball a priority. When I say we I mean everyone. Is Brad the coach that can move us forward? I honestly do not know. But what I do know is that he is a good guy running a clean program. The question to me is are we as a University and fan base giving him everything he needs? How do our facilities stack up against the others? I know that football's facilities are number one in the country. What about basketball? How do our facilities rank? Also, after the loss of Zion, Brad was quoted as saying there is dirty stuff going on. What all is he up against? I do not know the answer to that question either. We can win in basketball the correct way. The first thing is to start packing Littlejohn for games.

Maybe it wasn't packed out every night but it sure

Jan 28, 2019, 5:14 AM [ in reply to You are correct, but there is a lot of revisionist history ]

was fuller and louder than it is today. No, we weren't the top of the pack and threat to Duke and UNC every year when either of those guys were here but we were better than what we are now. I'll give BB last year as a great year, but that's it. Combine the Purnell and Barnes years and we made the tourney 6 out of 11 years. I'll take that over twice in nine years, even with one of those being sweet 16 any day of the week. Not saying I would want either of those guys back, just that it can be done.

Re: Maybe it wasn't packed out every night but it sure

Jan 28, 2019, 5:35 AM

Not sure why I did it, but yesterday I watched some of the Minnesota tournament game. It brought back memories of a team that couldn’t shoot very well (field or FT’s), and bigs had butterfinger hands. They played hard on D and relied on Buckner and McIntyre to keep them in the games. I will say this though, Rick Barnes had an interesting roster of players (Woni, Iterbe, Christie) and he played his bench alot. It felt like a Brownell team but more disciplined.

Lol, you're right about the shooting. Sometimes I think

Jan 28, 2019, 5:39 AM

they could have built a house with all the bricks. However, as you said, they seemed more disciplined and I just don't remember getting beat because of defense, usually just because they couldn't score.

Re: Maybe it wasn't packed out every night but it sure

Jan 28, 2019, 8:19 AM [ in reply to Maybe it wasn't packed out every night but it sure ]

Really it was once out of 9 years! Brad used purnells talents and don't forget we had a 5 star signed with us that year who decommitted after purnell left along with 2 four star quality players on the team . U can't help who leaves like that and Brad has faced alot of people leaving. His main problem is recruiting. Trying to get kids to come to Clemson when UNC and Duke and Kentucky and Louisville and NCState have our recruiting grounds. USC as well we battle. It's very hard when you don't have the funds to go deep into other states and recruit basketball players like we do in football. Think about that too. To answer your main question above: I was at school during the purnell era and there for every single home game. We packed out the student section 10 minutes before tipoff. Tickets were harder to get and lines were outside. There was more passion for basketball in the students. U don't see that anymore. It starts with the students every night. Little John holds what 8-9,000. We have 16k students and that doesn't even count most the people who come are local fans. Take that out and really not many students come. Clemson needs a new points system to earn things for going to events.

You guys are wrong

Jan 28, 2019, 6:14 AM [ in reply to You are correct, but there is a lot of revisionist history ]

My Grandfather had season tix during the Barnes era and it was consistently sold out. I was in college during the Purnell era, same thing. Even when we had that NIT run fans werre packing it out for Brownell, on a Sunday morning. Stop blaming fan support. The support is a product of the success.

Re: You guys are wrong

Jan 28, 2019, 6:28 AM

I attended Clemson during the Barnes tenure. LJ was rocking and nothing like it is now. The energy overall was night and day. People were excited.

I don't believe you or them

Jan 28, 2019, 8:15 AM [ in reply to You are correct, but there is a lot of revisionist history ]

If someone wants to post the year over year attendance figures, I would believe that. But half the people want to talk about how back in their day Fike and LJ were always sold out, and the other half calls them liars. So find the stats that prove one half right.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

1977-1981

Jan 28, 2019, 6:51 AM

I can’t speak to actual sellouts. But I can tell you, students lined up the night before to get into the games. They allowed students to sit in the aisle when seats ran out.
You also have to remember that in those days, the student body was much less.
We did not win them all, but we were competitive. The day we beat Duke was amazing. Most of my gang from C-5 were at all the games. Good times.
Back then, Clemson held serve at home. Larry Nance, Wyatt, controlled the wings and we had some great guard play as well.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can vouch for that.

Jan 28, 2019, 2:09 PM

The students sat directly behind the scorer's table then too.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Jan 28, 2019, 7:59 AM

Other factors affect how many students we see at the games.

Obviously it sounds good for the university to talk about having students from 35 or 45 states (or whatever number.) And of course those students bring in more tuition revenue than in-state students. But someone from Maryland or Delaware may not be as invested in Clemson athletics as someone who grew up in a 50-mile radius with little orange hoodies and toy tigers and tiger paw gear. (See also the Hill issue in football attendance.)

Also, there is a large portion of one side of Littlejohn that used to be student seating, that is now off limits to students (or anyone else). The Cafe crowd, like out-of-state students, are a good source of revenue, but very few of them ever make their way down to their reserved seats. At least a third of those seats could be reclaimed as student seating.

The University could make more of an effort to bring in families with occasional discounted tickets for K5-12 students. A few vans full of 10-year-olds would increase the noise level in the arena.

We are now coming into a stretch where we should be able to chalk up a few conference victories, and the next two weekend games are part of my family's 5-game package. We will be there supporting our Tigers. See you there?!

Jan 28, 2019, 8:46 AM

I disagree with region... I was from Virginia AND a grad student. I still attended about 1/2 the games, including later December games. Normally it was a night-class conflict/lab time that prevented me. I could not get steady football tickets so basketball was easier (a lot of grad students are prevented from student football allotments... at least when I was there). That being said, I attended NC State/Duke games when living in Raleigh in the 80s, so going to ACC basketball was the norm growing up. I even did Georgetown games in DC (fun was when OP was at Depaul playing in DC while in Clemson gear). That was a basketball school and even they had the same issues with lackluster attendance but for different reasons.

But I agree with building the local base and targeting kids. You NEED mid-week distractions with kids. Heck, I am now 2 hours away and IF it is a weekend game at a reasonable hour for a 1yo and a 3yo, me make the trip, but otherwise go to the small local college here during the week for games. But you also have to factor in cost... I have to roll the dice if the ticket $$$ is going to match up with the attention span of the kids. So I prefer the "lesser" games. Finally, the mascot has to be there. For a 3 year old, they have to see the tiger or no dice. The lispcombe game lacked the tiger and it was a 2 hour tear-filled ride home.

Also, don't get rosy eyes about OP or prior... I still remember being run out of town by UNC in littlejohn by 20 or so points. It was Roy's bus accident game I think.

Jan 28, 2019, 1:07 PM

Also, back in the day college basketball players were like pro athletes in a way. They were a big deal. Imagine if Zion stayed 4 years. The one and done has really hurt college basketball. Imagine when people could see Grant Hill for 4 straight years? Michael Jordan stayed 3 years. Tim Duncan was at Wake for 4 years. All the greats were there year after year. You really could grow to love or hate teams. College basketball was more exciting. It was electric.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic