Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Napier wants the job?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Napier wants the job?

Nov 17, 2020, 6:35 PM

https://www.fitsnews.com/2020/11/16/the-university-of-south-carolina-football-coaching-search-is-officially-underway/

Scroll way down into the story and you will see this:

According to our sources, Napier – a former Clemson offensive coordinator and the current head coach at Louisiana-Lafayette – is not just a coveted coaching target this season (with a much smaller buyout than Freeze), but has reportedly made it clear he wants the South Carolina job.

In fact, sources close to the 41-year-old coach (above) are said to have contacted South Carolina officials following the Gamecocks’ season-opening loss to Tennessee to make sure the school was aware of his interest.

Me? I know nothing. But, I fins that surprising, if true.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Napier wants the job?

Nov 17, 2020, 6:38 PM

Fitsnews was fake news way before that term became popular.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Nov 18, 2020, 8:16 PM

As I said yesterday, I was listening to 107.5 FM here in cootlumbia, and those talking coot FB was saying that Napier was at the top pf the list for the job, and they are as happy as a chicken walking through chicken chit in the hen house about their chances of getting him, bc they are wanting a an up and coming HC to take over their FB program and build it, and they believe that Billy Napier is the right guy for the job.

If he does get the job, hopefully he can change the criminal behavior of the coot fan base at their home games. with me living less than 10 miles from the chicken coop, maybe I could tailgate with the Clemson family once again when we play at the coop, and maybe risk going in and watch our Tigers killing chicken again before my time on earth has ended. I mean with Dabo and Billy remaining to be good friends, I'm sure he wouldn't care much for the criminal behavior of the coot players when play them, and hopefully he can change the criminal behavior of that fan base also!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do they want Napier?

Nov 17, 2020, 6:43 PM

Midway through his 3rd season as a HC, at Louisiana, he is ready for an SEC head job? Sounds like another Chad Morris to me. Maybe they like the fact that he has two division championships (with a third coming), and they have one of those in 28 years in the SEC.

0-2 in conference championship games (SCAR 0-1).

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 17, 2020, 6:46 PM

As abysmal as the U of SC job is and it is an ugly job, it is still a more high profile and more financially rewarding job than Louisiana. The analogy is not necessarily a good one, but it would be somewhat akin to a prison warden at a state prison given an opportunity to run a failing prison such as the now defunct Alcatraz. Alcatraz was ultimately closed. U of SC would be better suited to beef up Dawn Staley's salary and revel in their excellence in Women's Basketball and end the experiment of football in Columbia. Accept the failure that this has been and move on to something that has worked.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 17, 2020, 6:57 PM

and that might fit in with how U of the SC wants to turn things around. rather than being a coaching graveyard - looking for old legends to come for one more sunset tour - maybe they view themselves as more of a stepping stone experience now - sort of a "minor league" SEC team - that no one good would obviously want to stay at, but could parlay into a better job because hey it's in the SEC! they might be able to get back into the cherished 8-9 win territory that way before they bolt for somewhere that's not a #### hole full of #### hole fans.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: Napier wants the job? But, Why?

Nov 17, 2020, 6:47 PM

To me U of SoC main problem isn't so much talent! As even in recent years they have lost to less talented teams! Spurrier got Clowney, Holloman and Gilmore to come from South Pointe and Lattimore from Byrnes - but not many top notch talent beyond that. They won because he made due with a handful of talented players and a bunch of 3 stars.
You look at the brilliance of Dabo Swinney and staff. Not every player is a 5 star yet the narrative surrounding top tier teams is "they get all the best players"! CU had the best talent per ranking ratings last year for the 1st time ever I believe. This staff knows how to develop talent and how to get 3 star players to play like 4 or 5 star players. And is why Clemson can be so particular about who gets a Clemson scholarship offer! You can't just be good at football - you had better have some substance to you! The Columbia folks don't care about that - and tend to get selfish "me players"! That is just one of the differences in the programs now!
Can Napier have a developmental program? Can he take players and have them play above their star rating in a year or two? At Louisiana he often has more talent than his Sunbelt competition top to bottom! Except for App St. He hasn't beaten App St. either! That narrative could be said about many coaches - I know. But, at U of SoC he will have to know how to get around that talent obstacle and so far at ULL he hasn't!

Sounds like he will be there choice then, LOL given how they think!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 17, 2020, 7:08 PM

Napier just may be a fit in Cootville...they can't beat App State either...

Nov 17, 2020, 7:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Napier wants the job? But, Why? ]

IMO, it's doubtful he will have enough talent, quickly enough, to satisfy the delusional fanbase expectations. Then they will start all over again. Some things never change. Billy will leave there with a bank account full of cash and move on to await the undertaker of coaching careers, but at least he will be laughing all the way to the bank. Then it will start all over again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 17, 2020, 8:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Napier wants the job? But, Why? ]

You want to see the root of the problem at Usuc, just look at how the BOT is selected .

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

look at it this way...

Nov 17, 2020, 6:53 PM

dude and family living in squalid humidity year round - got 4 hurricanes run over his butz this year - not alot of fun. even the armpit of the carolinas is quite that bad - plus, the idea of a 14 mil buyout in 5 short years sounds appealing to me.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: look at it this way...

Nov 17, 2020, 7:02 PM

terrier2® said:

dude and family living in squalid humidity year round - got 4 hurricanes run over his butz this year - not alot of fun. even the armpit of the carolinas is quite that bad - plus, the idea of a 14 mil buyout in 5 short years sounds appealing to me.

. . . . . have you seen/heard or do you know the unrealistic expectations Gamecocks fans have? A sane person might want to really think about it. Those hurricanes and squalid humidity aren't as bad as having to deal with that dumpster fire! But, not just a dumpster fire - a dumpster fire with unrealistic fans with unrealistic expectations! He could wait and probably get the Michigan, Penn State or Southern Cal(as soon as they drop a game he's gone), Tennessee or Awbum will all be coming up soon. As long as he continues to win at ULL he'll get a big time gig!
Unless he has some: "internal because Clemson let me go motivation to boot he would be wise to leave that dumpster fire alone"!

Nov 17, 2020, 7:38 PM

I disagree with none of what you said!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 18, 2020, 11:02 AM [ in reply to Re: look at it this way... ]

80,000 people staring at a dumpster fire and waiting for the phoenix to emerge..... for 130 years!

I guess as long as a chicken in a dress can magically appear from a box, there is hope for the phoenix too!

The Job or The Paycheck?

Nov 17, 2020, 7:02 PM

It's one thing to say you don't want a certain job. But, it's a whole different deal to say you don't want to make 10X your current salary.

I used to work for a Big 4 consulting firm. And the smug a-holes that I worked with couldn't wait to tell you how much they hated the 'other' firms and would never, ever, work for those clowns. And, of course, every year the partners at those firms would switch teams because they got a better offer and could make more money.

It's always about the money. Always.

I dont see why he wouldnt.

Nov 17, 2020, 7:04 PM

He will make 5x more money at SC and there are definitely worse P5 jobs out there. SCs biggest issue is that they've continually made bad coaching hires. They've done OK on the very few occasions they've had decent ones. I think if you were to (objectively) rank the P5 coaching jobs, SC would probably fall somewhere around the middle.

Re: I dont see why he wouldnt.

Nov 17, 2020, 7:15 PM

He will make 5x more money at SC and there are definitely worse P5 jobs out there. SCs biggest issue is that they've continually made bad coaching hires. They've done OK on the very few occasions they've had decent ones. I think if you were to (objectively) rank the P5 coaching jobs, SC would probably fall somewhere around the middle.

Only thing I would say about what you are saying is: "I would not call SC a decent P5 job"! Why? Because if you so happen to get a freshman 5 star or say two 4 star players, the geniuses at SC athletic dept. will assume you are supposed to challenge for the SEC east suddenly! LOL! To boot - the expectations of the boosters and regular fans is through the roof higher than what they can reasonably ever achieve. Clemson was a National Power waiting to happen - everyone knew it and you use to read anonymous quotes from coaches from around the country saying Clemson was waiting to blow up!

You can't say that about U of SuC! What was the last upgrade at Williams Brice? The hen? They just got an indoor practice facility two years ago.
Napier is good when he has more talent - he won't have more talent at U of SoC. I think Stoops at Kentucky is a guy they should look at. He consistently is building steady and tough teams. And on occasion if he gets a few "really good players" there at the same time - he challenges the top of the league.
At a Kentucky or a U of SoC that's what you have to do - unle$$ you $tart getting top tier talent to $ign!

Stoops is too much like Muschamp

Nov 17, 2020, 10:55 PM

His offenses are God awful every single year. Even when they won 9 or 10 games two years ago all they did was run Benny Snell 40 times per game at about 4 yards per carry and then they would get some big defensive play late to win. It was mostly smoke and mirrors IMO.

Re: Stoops is too much like Muschamp

Nov 18, 2020, 11:01 AM

His offenses are God awful every single year. Even when they won 9 or 10 games two years ago all they did was run Benny Snell 40 times per game at about 4 yards per carry and then they would get some big defensive play late to win. It was mostly smoke and mirrors IMO.

I know. But, I was referring to the fact they have beaten SC I believe 5 or 6 years in a row. I think SC has a slight average recruit rating advantage - yet when you play Kentucky now - you have to play ball to win! Or they will beat you flat out.

Kentucky/Stoops know they have to develop players. They know they aren't getting plug and play players yearly like some schools. I liken it to basketball where Duke and Kentucky get the one and dones. Kentucky is that (ironically right) football school that has to have the 3 or 4 year guard who keeps improving each year to the point they can compete or beat johnny 5 star on occasion.

That's the difference. Some of Clemson's best players have been developmental guys(Simmons, Renfrow, Jarrett, Joseph, Turner, Beasley, etc.). In Clemson's case we don't have to solely rely on 2 and 3 year developmental turn around on players. We get enough 4 and 5 star guys who can hit the field sooner with just some re-tooling and adjustment to the speed of college.
A U of SC or a Kentucky or Vanderbilt or Wake can't do that. They have to develop talent with the mindset of looking for production in year 2 if lucky or most often year 3(RS Soph year). You get that players RS So year, RS Jr and RS SR year after investing two years in getting them ready!
They are so delusional they don't do that in Columbia! Kentucky I was saying does and on occasion they beat people if they hit on a few under-valued 3 star guys who "developed"!

Re: I dont see why he wouldnt.

Nov 18, 2020, 8:27 PM [ in reply to Re: I dont see why he wouldnt. ]

Clemson was there under Danny Ford, and if he hadn't been run off the way that he was, I think that Clemson would have been a pretty regular top 10 team. Danny was having to deal with administration BS a couple/few years before he was run off!!!!

I've said it before and I will say it again....

Nov 18, 2020, 8:43 AM [ in reply to I dont see why he wouldnt. ]

uof6c fans and administrators have the misguided and ill-informed opinion that the football hc job at USC-lite is among the best in the nation and that's just simply not the case. I'm not convinced they are among the top 40 or 50. Heck, there are at least 20 better programs across the south and southeast alone which is why they had so much trouble hiring someone before they had to reluctantly settle for CussChamp.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

It may be among the worst P5 jobs

Nov 18, 2020, 11:58 AM

Alabama expectations and Kansas results

Nov 17, 2020, 7:14 PM

Somebody will take the coots credit card.

After Spurrier and Muscoot payoffs the credit limit on the card must be dwindling.

Nov 17, 2020, 7:22 PM

Yeah, well I want the job too and I'll do it for $10 million. Heck, I might go as low as $5 million and a years supply of Depends. At my age, jumping up and down and screaming can cause stress on various body parts.

Interesting. Napier currently makes $880,000 a year plus bonuses/incentives.

Nov 17, 2020, 7:38 PM

I don’t know what the Coots would pay him, but I am assuming they would like to save some money if possible since they are paying Muschamp $13 million to go away and also because their athletic department has lost a lot of money this year due to the pandemic.

Given that, even if they do it on the cheaper side, I would think Napier stands to roughly triple his salary. Consider:

-Vanderbilt head coach makes $2.5 million
-Arkansas head coach makes $3 million
-Missouri head coach makes $4 million

I chose those because they are some of the less coveted SEC jobs.

Considering the fact that taking the job would net Napier millions more dollars over the next few years, he would be a fool not to take it. I know it’s a bad job for power 5, and none of us could fathom working there, but if Napier is offered the job he will take it. As he should.

And he will get his rear handed to him by Dabo, every year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Interesting. Napier currently makes $880,000 a year plus bonuses/incentives.

Nov 18, 2020, 8:37 PM

Even when there was little hope of a good season with the coot FB program, the fans was still packing the coop. So if they need to come up with a bunch of cash to keep, or get a coach with some promise to build them a decent FB program, they would just need to have a fund raiser under the cover of improvements, and those criminals would give money for their FB to have some success!!!

The USCe head coaching job isn't all that bad

Nov 17, 2020, 8:34 PM

If all you care about is a big salary and great facilities. May as well get set for life and then figure out what to do next after being fired in 3-4 years.

Winning? Let's not be ridiculous.

Nov 18, 2020, 10:36 AM

I would be shocked if he was truly interested. Maybe a ploy in negotiations with another school.

I just don't see the upside for him. At 41, he has the opportunity to advance well at a lot of schools: even the elite side Turn in a .500 record at the Coots and he might not get another shot at a decent P5 school - not to mention that the Coots' rivals are hitting all-time success Clemson - Jawja on their own scale - A&M, and even Florida, Kentucky, and Tennessee are on the upswing. Even UNC is trending up. Simply put, unlike the spurrier years when the coots rivals were in coaching transitions etc - weaker overall, the next coach would be expected to hit spurrier level success against much tougher teams. I don't see (and hope) Napier isn't that stupid.

Maybe he wants a big contract

Nov 18, 2020, 12:59 PM

So he can buy a waverunner

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic