Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Maybe experience matters?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

Maybe experience matters?

Jan 30, 2017, 8:52 AM

Trump signs an executive order regarding Keystone XL without consulting the state department. The company behind the pipeline is currently suing the US government for $15 billion. The executive order will likely help their case.

Big ole edit for @obed His executive order comments regarding waterboarding were made without consulting General Mattis (you know, the guy everyone in here loves) or CIA Director Mike Pompeo.

During an interview with Fox News' Sean Hannity that aired Thursday night, President Donald Trump insisted that waterboarding is not a big deal and that it is an effective interrogation technique.

"So, waterboarding used to be used because they said it really wasn’t torture," Trump told Hannity. “It was the one step slightly below torture. That’s why waterboarding…”

Hannity jumped in to say, "That’s why it was legal."

"I mean, torture is real torture, okay?” Trump continued. “Waterboarding is — I’m sure it’s not pleasant, but waterboarding was just short of torture.”

Another order cuts funding to the International Criminal Court by 40%. Hooray! One small detail omitted is that we don't provide any funding to the International Criminal Court.

And leaving the disastrous EO on visas aside, (What a disaster!!! Sad!!!), he's pressing forward to give the appearance of getting work done, without actually thinking about the consequences of his actions.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

State Dept and Army Dept both approved the project

Jan 30, 2017, 9:02 AM

before Barry got involved

I assume you're referring to Keystone. The issue isn't

Jan 30, 2017, 9:05 AM

whether the project was approved, it's the wording of the EO that is poorly thought out.

It requires, among other things, any company building a pipeline to only use American materials. Hooray! Except you've got to dump NAFTA and other trade treaties before such an order is legal.

I'm going to go out on a limb here

Jan 30, 2017, 9:06 AM

but I bet, and I could be wrong, that Trump isn't actually the one writing the verbiage in any executive order.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But if he is SIGNING them (read, "executing" the

Jan 30, 2017, 9:09 AM

executive order), shouldn't he be the one reading and understanding them? Based on the footage I've seen of him signing, those photo ops appear to be the first time he's ever actually seen them.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he was elected to lead, not to read***

Jan 30, 2017, 9:20 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Holy crap I just gave CA a TU.***

Jan 30, 2017, 9:21 AM

Dood, I've given you dozens.

Jan 30, 2017, 10:51 AM

Some TU just the things they agree with. I'm apt to TU things I argue against in the same thread. It's all Clemson to me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We have to "execute" the executive order...

Jan 30, 2017, 11:50 AM [ in reply to But if he is SIGNING them (read, "executing" the ]

...in order to find out what's in it.

Right?

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's a joint effort.

Jan 30, 2017, 9:09 AM [ in reply to I'm going to go out on a limb here ]

Steve Bannon, Trump, and Stephen Miller are reported to be the ones writing the orders.

just out of curiosity, I searched for this and could not

Jan 30, 2017, 9:22 AM

find it. Can you supply the link that provides that info?

Re: just out of curiosity, I searched for this and could not

Jan 30, 2017, 9:23 AM

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/trumps-flashy-executive-actions-could-run-aground-234200

Inside the West Wing, it is almost impossible for some aides to know what is in the executive orders, staffers say. They have been written by Stephen Miller, Trump’s senior White House adviser for policy, and Steve Bannon, Trump’s chief strategist, according to people familiar with the matter. Ideas for some of the Trump executive orders came from transition officials and so-called “landing teams,” sources say, who weren’t working in the White House.

The only other administration that began with such swift executive actions was Ronald Reagan’s, said David Vladeck, a law professor at Georgetown University and a former official at the Federal Trade Commission. Those directives were more heavily vetted.

“If you don’t run these kinds of initiatives through the affected agencies, you’re going to get something wrong,” Vladeck said. “A government by edict is not a sustainable idea.”

Thanks.

Jan 30, 2017, 9:27 AM

But it doesn't appear Trump is actually writing them.

That's a strange defense of an executive order.***

Jan 30, 2017, 11:23 AM

Its not a defense of anything.

Jan 30, 2017, 11:30 AM

It's refuting what you said to be true.

So he's signing these orders with no input on the content

Jan 30, 2017, 11:32 AM

of them?

Doesn't seem to be his MO.

I don't know that, either.

Jan 30, 2017, 11:37 AM

And your absolutism on what is unknown seems strange to me.

My thought would be that he tells his cabinet what he wants, has them draft it, and then he signs it. This would be in line with what he may have done as a CEO of his companies.

From the link you provided, it appears that he is not using a team that is prepared to do this, which at this stage, is understandable, and predictable. I would agree that it would be better that he waits until he can 100% an EO that won't be misunderstood.

We're really not that much in disagreement here.

Jan 30, 2017, 11:41 AM

Wouldn't telling them what he wants, constitute creating/writing it?

Similar to movies where you see "story written by" and "screenplay written by" in the credits

"Story by Donald Trump" "Adapted for politics by Steve Bannon and Stephen Miller"

I have no idea.***

Jan 30, 2017, 11:46 AM

so you're giving deference to the NAFTA court

Jan 30, 2017, 9:20 AM [ in reply to I assume you're referring to Keystone. The issue isn't ]

that is the main reason I'm against NAFTA.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You sure about the NAFTA angle?...

Jan 30, 2017, 10:14 AM [ in reply to I assume you're referring to Keystone. The issue isn't ]

The DOE has Buy-American clauses in bids/contracts all of the time. They also have procurement clauses where it has to be NAFTA and one where it is NAFTA plus certain countries in Europe.

We just won a job recently because of buy-american clause and our competition was out of Canada.

Nobody is sure about anything, and that's the biggest

Jan 30, 2017, 10:17 AM

problem.....the uproar around Trump so far, with a few exceptions, is like the world's biggest game of telephone.

Like I said before, he's going to do something seriously egregious sooner or later, and I'm probably going to unintentionally write it off because of the Chicken Little/Boy who cried wolf effect.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Been making the same point on buddybook...

Jan 30, 2017, 10:20 AM

during my weekend of arguing with strangers.

Never thought I would ever have spent that much time defending Trump, who I can't stand. These sorts of folks are going to find themselves so marginalized if they keep this up. Folks with any common sense and/or knowledge of the subject matter at hand are going to write them off.

And as you say...I have little doubt that Trump is going to do something very deserving of this level of resistance and ridicule, but it will be lost in the noise.

No, referring to Dakota project***

Jan 30, 2017, 11:54 AM [ in reply to I assume you're referring to Keystone. The issue isn't ]

Bruh.

Jan 30, 2017, 9:07 AM

In Trump we trust.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Usually a "still better than Hillary" is right around the

Jan 30, 2017, 9:09 AM

corner when well thought out posts like this are written.....be patient.

How's that internship at MSNBC coming along?

Jan 30, 2017, 9:56 AM

I heard the Starbucks latte mocha served in the break room didn't have enough sugar in it this morning. True story.

Very informative response. +1***

Jan 30, 2017, 9:57 AM

Are you working for Republican Joe Scaroborough? You do

Jan 30, 2017, 10:08 AM

realize he is advising Trump(by his own admission, they also held meetings all weekend) and has spent the last year and a half advising, supporting, normalizing, defending and basically being a mouthpiece for the Trump campaign and now administration?

What kind of liberal are you?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you watch Morning Joe?....

Jan 30, 2017, 10:15 AM

no way you could say "has spent the last year and a half advising, supporting, normalizing, defending and basically being a mouthpiece for the Trump campaign and now administration?" and actually watch the show. Good lawd.

Every day for the last 2 years.

Jan 30, 2017, 10:27 AM

He mentioned it again this morning.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Correction

Jan 30, 2017, 10:29 AM

The last 3 years.

Well...if you think Joe S has been carrying water for...

Jan 30, 2017, 11:24 AM [ in reply to Every day for the last 2 years. ]

Trump over the last 2 years, then we are clearly operating on different planes.

More than likely the case will be negotiated away.

Jan 30, 2017, 9:58 AM

But you carry on with your lack of understanding of how the business world works. People who need each other don't tie themselves up in court.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He issued an executive order on Waterboarding?

Jan 30, 2017, 10:13 AM

I missed that.

Only thing I saw was him saying that if Mattis had a different opinion from him, he would defer to Mattis.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, I definitely can't find one.

Jan 30, 2017, 10:26 AM

Can you share it since you mentioned it?

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/a-guide-to-trumps-first-17-executive-orders/article/2613318

I didn't believe Trump again.

Jan 30, 2017, 10:50 AM

I didn't believe that he would do all of those things he's done and I still wake up rejoicing over having a president who didn't lie about the promises I felt most important. I have the same serious doubts about him deferring to anyone on anything.

Maybe his wife after a blue pill but certainly not this. Obama killed terrorist to keep from having to refill Gitmo. Trump is capturing them for information. He can drone as good as anyone. We lost a member of ST6 capturing those guys in Yemen. I doubt he's waste it all over a little law like waterboarding prohibition.

I doubt we'll ever know.

No, I'm just curious.....

Jan 30, 2017, 10:58 AM

Robert says "His executive order regarding waterboarding was written without consulting General Mattis (you know, the guy everyone in here loves) or CIA Director Mike Pompeo." and probably hit enter and thought "good post".

I internet-know RN well enough to know he's not just a liar, so I think what he actually did is illustrate the current issue.

The feeding frenzy is so massive around Trump right now that there is a a portion of the population so whipped into a tizzy that they will believe, repeat, and ascribe to pure evil anything they see written or hear said about Trump. Robert heard someone make that point, and then he posts it, and there are probably 10-15 people here who will go about their daily lives telling others the same. It's the world's worst multi-level marketing.

Independent thought among the electorate has been a rare commodity already for the past two administrations---it's completely flown out the window now.

Robertn has been known to get whipped into a frenzy

Jan 30, 2017, 11:02 AM

by stuff that isn't true.

Eat a ####.***

Jan 30, 2017, 11:07 AM

Well, I'm sorry you seem to disagree.

Jan 30, 2017, 11:11 AM

But it's true.

You're correct, somewhat. I was going off of what I read

Jan 30, 2017, 11:07 AM [ in reply to No, I'm just curious..... ]

and what I heard from Trump on the campaign trail, of which he's followed through on just about everything.

“Don’t tell me it doesn’t work — torture works,” Trump said during a campaign event at a retirement community here Wednesday morning. “Half these guys [say]: ‘Torture doesn’t work.’ Believe me, it works.”

Apologies.

Somewhat?

Jan 30, 2017, 11:13 AM

Bruh, there was no executive order on waterboarding. Period. There's a massive difference in an executive order and a quote from a speech.

Apology accepted.

The somewhat was in reference to the other parts of your

Jan 30, 2017, 11:16 AM

post.

fair enough.

Jan 30, 2017, 11:19 AM

Did you see where I said you weren't a liar? I thought that was internet-hug worthy.

Edited the OP. Luh you bae

Jan 30, 2017, 11:21 AM

He likes to post fact-less garbage from Al Gore's interweb***

Jan 30, 2017, 10:29 AM [ in reply to He issued an executive order on Waterboarding? ]

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic