Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Maybe I'm the only one and yes I served my country like
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

Maybe I'm the only one and yes I served my country like

May 9, 2015, 9:39 PM

Many others here on tigernet, but D. Rodriguez signing an NFL contract bugs me. Maybe it shouldn't but the more I hear about him, the it seems like it's constant " look at me, I'm a hero." And it gets old. To me, a real hero would be more humble knowing that the real Heros lie dead out there on the battlefield or came back home with horrible injuries and have to live like that everyday. Daniel was lucky and I'm appreciative of his sacrifice, but many others deserve more and yet here he is getting movie deals and signing contracts that we all know he isn't qualified for. There are other Tigers on the team who won't sniff a contract that contributed way more and are much more talented.

I'm proud to have served my country, and no I wasn't a hero. But I don't go walking through town saying " look at me, look at me, I'm a vet."

And if the NFL TEAM is signing him to get a little pub.... I think I'd care more if they went out and found a homeless injured vet and signed him to an office gig or got him a fresh start on life. To me, that would matter to me more. Daniel has been thanked plenty.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe a little jealousy

May 9, 2015, 10:13 PM

at work. I don't know that he is the one taking advantage of the situation. I feel sure since the book deal he has an agent, but I don't know that he is making as much money as the publisher, movie producer (if there is a movie). He signed a free agent contract which has no sure money involved. If he makes even the practice squad I will be surprised. His dream was to play college football, which he did. What do you want him to do, not take an opportunity presented him?

Due to many reasons I have never been the "golden boy" so I have no idea what I might have done in a similar situation. Just remember in his case it took a lot of work and luck to become the "golden boy." Yes it would be wonderful if every employer hired more veterans, but in the end life works out the way it is supposed to more often than not.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Maybe a little jealousy

May 10, 2015, 5:29 AM

I served in combat in the Mekong Delta, RVN, and I'm really happy for him. Everyone is different, and experiences affect everyone differently. If you read his book, you'll have more insight on who he is and what he's about. He could easily have gone off the deep end, but he pulled himself together, had a dream, worked hard and achieved something. Is he a little proud of himself? Yes. Shouldn't he be?

Exactly ... the book is very revealing.***

May 10, 2015, 10:10 AM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have to disagree

May 9, 2015, 10:19 PM

While I did not serve in the military I did serve my country in the fire service. It has always been my belief that the bravest thing any of our military or public safety personnel ever did was to voluntarily sign their names on the paperwork to serve. Anything they did after that was just doing their job.

People are getting all bent out of shape over this when the fact is it's nothing in the grand scheme of things. Washington is bringing in a camp body. They don't expect him to make the 53 man roster, and they likely didn't make the offer in an attempt to get some publicity. They did what most NFL teams do after they sign the free agents that were on their draft board and brought in local kids.

As for the movie deals, etc. How is what Daniel is doing any different than any of the other former military/police/fire/ems folks who write books, get deals with news media, etc.? If anything Daniel's story is better than the majority of these folks because of what he id accomplish after his service.

You're a vet & don't feel like you get special treatment?

May 9, 2015, 10:33 PM

I'm a vet....and I'm not a hero, but I feel like there are many ways that I get special treatment and recognition on a regular basis in my daily life.

I don't take those things for granted and I don't resent others who receive special considerations for what they have done with their life.

Sorry that you feel the way you do, but I wish the best for DRod and hope that it brings even more recognition and benefit to others like the ones you mentioned in your OP.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Maybe I'm the only one and yes I served my country like

May 9, 2015, 11:02 PM

He will either make the cut or not. They signed Sam but eventually cut him. IMO, not much PR going on here. Maybe he showed a flash in his workout? Only time will tell.

Did you serve in combat and were you awarded a purple heart?

May 9, 2015, 11:05 PM

Did you see many of your fellow soldiers die in combat? Were you awarded medals for valor? If you didn't, you have not earned the right to criticize D'Rod!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Did you serve in combat and were you awarded a purple heart?

May 9, 2015, 11:13 PM

This is a load of crap. I didn't serve, and I can criticize him all I want. The OP served, and he can criticize Rodriguez all he wants, too. He came here, was given a chance by the coaching staff and university primarily because of his service, and approx. five minutes after leaving Clemson, he was critical of that staff for not giving him enough playing time. That is total garbage. And anybody can say that, whether they served or not.

Get off his hog

May 9, 2015, 11:32 PM

For crying out loud...Thanks for doing your time and serving our country but he wasn't looking / asking for a handout . You get what you deserve. bottom line. If he didn't fit the bill athletically, then he obviously wouldn't have been given a opportunity. He's the Definition of character & accountability. Will he play for 16 years in the NFL?.. no he won't . Let him do his thing and get off his #### ...

Re: Criticism timing

May 10, 2015, 12:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Did you serve in combat and were you awarded a purple heart? ]

The alleged criticism of the staff happened before he left Clemson.

And yet, the staff still felt strongly enough about Daniel to work to get him the ball in the bowl game against Oklahoma.

Apparently the staff doesn't feel nearly as slighted as a few fans have become.

Re: Did you serve in combat and were you awarded a purple heart?

May 10, 2015, 3:01 AM [ in reply to Did you serve in combat and were you awarded a purple heart? ]

Ignorant statement

Uhh.. guy woke up to his base getting ambushed and watching his friends die...

May 9, 2015, 11:22 PM

And survived. Signing an NFL contract will hopefully serve as a way to keep his mind at ease a lil longer. Sour grapes. Thank you for serving- and letting us know that you served - need more of the "humble hero" types like yourself.

Daniel Rodriguez brought a lot of favorable publicity to

May 9, 2015, 11:29 PM

Clemson. Perhaps he is not as "sophisticated" as some would like. The guy went through hell, went to college made the football team and, when he went into the games, the fans loved it. I say leave the guy alone. And, BTW, I served, have a Combat Infantry Badge and a Purple Heart.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not to mention

May 9, 2015, 11:37 PM

the fact that if he were to overcome the odds and actually make an NFL roster it would be great publicity for Clemson because you can rest assured we would be mentioned every game he made a play in.

Hey GreyBengal....

May 10, 2015, 2:02 AM [ in reply to Daniel Rodriguez brought a lot of favorable publicity to ]

Thanks for your service and sacrifice.....

Coming from a son of a Korean war veteran......

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think my biggest problem with it all...

May 10, 2015, 1:50 AM

is I believe that a true soldier does not tell his story for attention.I have a problem with a soldier boasting of his own valor. And I think that is what happened in the beginning. I think he used his story to try to help his future as a football player. A true soldier needs no glory from others. Most just feel like it was a sense of duty and a calling to serve (after the end of the draft and during the draft era, too). I feel a true soldier considers it an honor to serve and does not do it for recognition or praise. I think a true soldier, no matter what happened during their time..injury, battles, saving people, etc...does not think what they did is special. They are not doing it for a pat on the back or a medal. Most are even quiet about it when they return home.

Don't get me wrong, I think they deserve all the glory they can get from us here on American soil. I appreciate them more than people could even know. My Dad was a soldier.

Another problem I have with all of it is that there have been some fellow soldiers that have stepped forward and said his story is not totally true and is very exaggerated. It is probably like most things, his side, their side and the truth. I don't know.

What he did was beyond amazing. But most of the time a story like his is brought to the public's attention by others, such as fellow soldiers and not by one's self to gain from it.

But I do want to say this....YOU are a hero. Every American that serves this country in the armed forces is a hero...no matter in what capacity.

Re: "a true soldier does not tell his story for attention"

May 10, 2015, 10:18 AM

May 10, 2015, 5:37 AM

Thank you sir for defending our country.

At times others may be lucky enough to to gain benefit from such service but it does not make yours any less valuable.

May 10, 2015, 5:53 AM

Much to do about nothing really. The guy is making the most of his opportunities. I served in the Air Force and spend 30+ years in the Dept of Defense. I sleep good at night knowing I did my part and maybe a little more. I hold nothing against DRod getting what he can get.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

SPT, I understand your attitude and offer no condemnation.

May 10, 2015, 7:09 AM

Our staff demonstrated compassion and respect when they allowed Daniel the opportunity to play at Clemson, and he was a superb representative lifting the morale of teammates and fans alike.

Despite extraneous comments and/or rumors, his efforts were worth their weight in gold as they brought positive publicity to Clemson across the nation.

You see, my good Friend, if there's one thing I've learned in my long life, it's the fact that much of what we may say or do at age 24 is a far different cry than that which we may say or do at age 44...or 54...or 64. That's why I've chosen to ignore Daniel's comments about playing time and to congratulate him on his literary and cinematic efforts. Likewise, I believe it to be a compliment for his service and efforts at Clemson for him to have received an offer in the NFL.

He is now a member of the Clemson Brotherhood; thus, he's now part of the same fraternity to which I belong, as well as the brotherhood of former members of our military.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: SPT, I understand your attitude and offer no condemnation.

May 10, 2015, 7:32 AM

Well said.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was a lieutenant in Vietnam....and my opinion is ...

May 10, 2015, 8:05 AM

he deserves anything and everything he can get for himself! Enough said!!!

is your name Dan ;-)***

May 10, 2015, 8:40 AM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: is your name Dan ;-)***

May 10, 2015, 10:59 AM

Nope.....but that's a good one!

"Look here buddy! I'll have you know I served my country. I played high school football"

May 10, 2015, 8:55 AM

4 touchdowns in one game!

Re: "Look here buddy! I'll have you know I served my country. I played high school football"***

May 10, 2015, 10:08 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

May 10, 2015, 9:25 AM
image.jpg(89.6 K)

How it's not obvious to everyone is beyond me.

D-Rod couldn't carry Pat Tilman's Jockstrap! ******

May 10, 2015, 9:27 AM

May 10, 2015, 10:30 AM [ in reply to Re: Maybe I'm the only one and yes I served my country like ]

That's twice you've run that one by ... maybe the third time will be the charm?

May 10, 2015, 12:28 PM

My experience with spoon feeding is it takes much longer than that!

Muhammad Ali killed the idea of accomplishing something

May 10, 2015, 10:21 AM

and then being humble about it. Now after 40+ years, they give us Richard Sherman, Floyd Mayweather, and Yasiel Puig. You could even throw in any number of bad boys in NASCAR.

haven't you heard? it's OK to brag because it makes it so much easier on the talking heads and laptop jockeys when they need some copy. arrogance and quick wit are much preferred over humility, class, and presence.

seems a tad trifling to be beating up on D Rodriguez about it now......

I can see your point.

May 10, 2015, 10:31 AM

I think it's all PR and not based on ability. On the other hand, I am glad he achieved his dream.

Dude had a plan

May 10, 2015, 12:29 PM

i mean who sets up a camera to film himself shooting? He is a self promotor. For better or worse. He isn't afraid or shy to seek the limelight. Thats cool and all but not really my thing and i think it will cause him pain and embarrassment some day

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Yeah, that lone survivor navy seal guy is a sham, too. How dare he write a book that became a movie.

May 10, 2015, 1:11 PM

Shameless self-promotion and completely opposite of the "true" heroes and who serve our country without the need to write books that say "hey! look at me! look at me!"

According to your logic.

I say both are heroes and derserve the attention they get. Both were surround on all sides by the enemy at one point throughout their duty, both out number, but caught off guard, both showed incredible bravery, survived, and will likely never escape those haunting memories.

Let it go. Be happy for the guy.

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic