Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Real talk for a minute,
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 292

Real talk for a minute,

Mar 12, 2020, 5:29 PM

Reaching out for some possible insight or even possible biting sarcasm that makes me question my desire to continue living. I’m satisfied with whatever you bring to the thread and thank you in advance for what you have to offer. So I was attempting to do math homework with my youngest boy. He struggles with simple math and struggle is putting it politely. Simple multiplication and division might as well be dynamical systems and differential equations as far as he’s concerned. Especially when it comes to showing his work. Today, we were doing homework that involved listing fractions from least to greatest. Of course it involves finding the least common denominator, which involves knowledge of multiplication and division... otherwise referred to as Mandarin Chinese for the boy. Because he ain’t learning it any time real soon. After explaining, demonstrating, and meticulously working with him on the first couple of problems and no progress was made. My son’s frustration started to show. Of course I stayed calm and understanding for about 1/3 of a minute. I told him to just chill out and try his best. Even told him I wouldn’t be mad if he got them all wrong and that it would just help all involved understand where he needed more improvement. Problem is, after he’s done and I check his answers, he got about 7/10 of the answers correct. He didn’t show any work and it wasn’t multiple choice. I asked him how he had gotten the answers correct and he said he didn’t really know. Told me, “I just guessed really.” This homework involved 3 fractions for each problem so it wasn’t a 50/50 option either. I’m stumped. I’ve seen him do this with addition and subtraction years ago. He just sits down and something clicks. He doesn’t know how he did the math but he gets the answers correct. What gives folks? I’m not worried about him learning math because you never use math in the real world, right? (This last statement is sarcasm... just in case my son finds this post.) But it would be nice if he could learn enough that I could send him to the store with $20 to get me a six pack of Lite and a bag of Lays Flamin Hot Dill Pickle chips and he actually comes back with the right change. Y’all got any idea what could be going on here? Or any recommendations as to methods to help him learn a little more efficiently?
Anyways, I appreciate you fine folks for letting me unload this on the interwebs. Hope y’all have a good evening. For now, I’ll hang up and listen.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Real talk for a minute,

Mar 12, 2020, 5:34 PM

Turn fractions into math games. Find real world things to touch that can be divided up (slices of apples, carrots, bread, etc).

Good luck. I'm sure it's frustrating for both of you.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope you find something to help him

Mar 12, 2020, 7:13 PM

I know grown adults that cannot do simple algebra where 10+100-x=50

Drives me nuts, but they cannot solve for x.

They live normal lives and are successful in what they can do.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Math comes to different folks at different times

Mar 12, 2020, 8:04 PM

Everybody has different developmental schedules. Our education system’s failure to acknowledge this is its biggest issue.

I was put in remedial math in 9th grade, struggled through high school and Clemson, had to go back to school at the age of 24 to take a physics class and all the sudden things just clicked, that part of my brain had matured and it all made sense.

I went on to teach chemistry & physics for 30 years.

You and he might get a kick out of reading this book together

https://smile.amazon.com/Humble-Pi-When-Wrong-World/dp/0593084683/ref=pd_bxgy_2/134-0114345-1643371?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0593084683&pd_rd_r=8fc0d676-c0e9-44fe-a457-4c653bbc9972&pd_rd_w=TUxK9&pd_rd_wg=qA3iI&pf_rd_p=9d05ca86-8760-4334-a147-e5d5836a8859&pf_rd_r=JBS5SHYNV4Q1AC4Z0A2T&psc=1&refRID=JBS5SHYNV4Q1AC4Z0A2T

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

Replies: 3
| visibility 292
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic