Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
1978 Clemson at Maryland
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

1978 Clemson at Maryland

May 18, 2020, 10:03 AM

An article popped up on Google this morning about the game and, embedded in the article, is a video which supposedly contains the only known footage from the contest. It's only 44 min, has no audio aside from some chirping that has to be muted, and only seems to contain the first 24 minutes of the game.

Is there really no more footage of this game out there anywhere?

Also, what the hell was the Maryland coach doing kicking a FG down 28-21 with under 2 minutes left in the game and inside the Clemson 10 yard line? I guess coaches werent criticized for horrible game management decisions back then like they are now. That or he really, really didn't want a tie.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 1978 Clemson at Maryland

May 18, 2020, 10:45 AM

he had a lot of money riding on the game. He took Clemson minus 2 and the Under. Over/Under was 53.

Message was edited by: MyfavOrange®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is the only known footage of the game

May 18, 2020, 11:02 AM

https://youtu.be/oe6zztnMM4s

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: This is the only known footage of the game

May 18, 2020, 11:20 AM

Yep I have asked everywhere about this. Apparently there was footage of the entire game that got lost or destroyed. It is a shame. It was a great game and I wish there was a full record of it

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 18, 2020, 12:06 PM [ in reply to This is the only known footage of the game ]

Jerry Butler is fast.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"You don't get control of the game when you're air-balling layups." - Brent Venables

May 18, 2020, 2:28 PM [ in reply to This is the only known footage of the game ]

Jim Phillips sounds young.

May 18, 2020, 11:45 AM

I was there. Thanks to Tiger Band.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 18, 2020, 9:31 PM

Me too thanks to Dr. Cook

May 18, 2020, 11:57 AM

Wasn't that the game that was closed-circuit broadcast to a large crowd in Littlejohn Coliseum? If so, was there and one of the more exciting "games" I ever attended. The room was really alive.

Yes ...and Notre Dame the next year. Great fun in LJ !!

May 18, 2020, 2:09 PM

Just about as good as actually being at the game.

Honest!

I was there in Clemson's scoring end zone... Maryland did

May 18, 2020, 12:00 PM

their scoring on the other end of the field. Great game...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was there as a 10th grader, we lived 45 min from MD Campus

May 18, 2020, 12:30 PM

I remember it being very cold and raw on those aluminum bleachers. Fans were typical MD fans - throwing stuff in the stands. I recall a receiver - maybe Stan Rome or Dwight Clark sky to catch a pass over the middle that seemed to be a turning point. I'd been to several CU-MD games in College Park, but that was the first one that was ever close. One of my earliest/best memories of Clemson football.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clark caught the game changer... Spoke to him years later at

May 18, 2020, 2:19 PM

the Masters when he and his son came up to me and my son (who was wearing my old '49ers varsity jacket)...

The thing he mentioned first about the game was it was for the ACC Championship... Nice guy.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This was before the upper decks were added...

May 18, 2020, 12:45 PM

to Byrd Stadium so to accommodate more fans, the Clemson/Maryland games were subsequently move to the old Memorial Stadium in Baltimore (a stadium shared by the Baltimore Colts and Baltimore Orioles).

I attended two Clemson/Maryland games there. Awful venue for football. The sight lines were terrible.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

My first Clemson game.

May 18, 2020, 5:46 PM

Good times!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maryland won the game

May 18, 2020, 8:57 PM

according to the Fake News headline...

https://www.nytimes.com/1978/11/19/archives/maryland-stops-clemson-2824.html

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 18, 2020, 9:26 PM

Why wouldn’t there be a Charlie Pell coaches show with highlights throughout? Pretty sure I’ve seen all of the scoring plays in the past.

Coach Claiborne with the worst coaching decision in history.

May 18, 2020, 10:57 PM

To kick a field goal that puts you down 4 with under 2 minutes left and no way to stop the clock. He either had complete faith in his teams onside kick recover ability, or he was betting against his team. I think the latter.

May 19, 2020, 12:01 AM

It was a good game. We had a few good games with Maryland over the years.

Maryland had some great QB's back in the day...

May 19, 2020, 6:55 AM

Boomer Esiason, Frank Reich, Neil O'Donnell come to mind. Seems like there were others too.

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic