Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mark Richt: Spurrier warned me not to take Georgia Job
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 2,349

Mark Richt: Spurrier warned me not to take Georgia Job

Sep 10, 2013, 9:00 AM

Mark Richt recalls Spurrier warning
ESPN.com news services

http://espn.go.com/espn/print?id=9657376&type=story

Mark Richt has enjoyed a successful run as Georgia's head coach since arriving in Athens over a decade ago. But had he listened to Steve Spurrier, Richt might never have coached "Between the Hedges."

Richt recalled a piece of advice he received from Spurrier almost 22 years ago, when the two coaches attended the 1991 Heisman Trophy ceremony.

"[Spurrier] told me, 'Do not under any circumstances take the Georgia job,'" Richt said Monday while speaking to the Touchdown Club of Athens, according to the Athens Banner-Herald. "That was the one bit of coaching advice he gave me."
t the time of that conversation, Richt was an assistant at Florida State and helped coach then-Seminoles quarterback Casey Weldon, the 1991 Heisman runner-up. Spurrier had completed his second season as Florida's head coach in 1991, when Gators quarterback Shane Matthews also was a Heisman finalist.

Richt eventually was hired as Georgia's head coach approximately nine years later, replacing Jim Donnan in December 2000. A two-time SEC Coach of the Year, Richt has compiled a 119-41 record at Georgia, guiding the Bulldogs to two conference titles and three BCS bowl appearances.

Richt's comments came two days after Georgia recorded a much-needed 41-30 victory over Spurrier's South Carolina squad. The win helped the Bulldogs (1-1) climb to No. 9 in this week's AP rankings, while the Gamecocks (1-1) dropped seven spots to No. 13.

Richt also said Monday that he respects and likes Spurrier.

"I like him because he's a straight shooter," Richt said, according to the Banner-Herald. "I think he wants to win fair and square; he wants to play by the rules. I never had any thoughts that he would try to cheat in a game or cheat in recruiting or anything like that."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Wonder why they barely brushed by each other ...and said

Sep 10, 2013, 9:04 AM

nothing at all after the game....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mark Richt: Spurrier warned me not to take Georgia Job

Sep 10, 2013, 9:10 AM

As long as Richt suspends 3-4 players every season before they play USUC, then those two will get along fine. I'm surprised that Spurrier has not complained about Richt playing with no suspensions.

Fair and Square ????

Sep 10, 2013, 9:16 AM

How about Spurious and Obtuse

Hypocritical irony?

Sep 10, 2013, 9:26 AM

"I like him because he's a straight shooter," Richt said, according to the Banner-Herald. "I think he wants to win fair and square; he wants to play by the rules. I never had any thoughts that he would try to cheat in a game or cheat in recruiting or anything like that."

This from the man whose player took a flop to stop the game, and reminded another player to slide over so he could be on the field and stop the clock.

If he likes honesty and winning fair and square, he must hate himself.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Too bad you cheat yourself ! Mr. SEC Timeout.***

Sep 10, 2013, 9:27 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Obvious ploy to take a serious competitor out of the picture

Sep 10, 2013, 9:29 AM

More proof of the obvious. Spurlid probably saw this talented young guy as competition. Didn't want him building GA up to be the program they are today.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Doubtful - Spurrier has had great success against UGA

Sep 10, 2013, 9:46 AM

no matter where he's been.

I wonder if his hatred doesn't go back to his playing days, or even whether UGA passed over Spurrier in 1988 and instead hired Ray Goff. Would have been a pretty big blow to his sizeable ego.

One thing is for sure, the oldballcoach has a long memory and can hold a grudge with the best of them...

It was more passing over #### Sheridan

Sep 10, 2013, 6:11 PM

#### Sheridan and Erk Russell were the leading candidates for that Georgia job back then if I recall. Maybe Spurrier was in the mix but he was on the outside of those two guys.

Re: Obvious ploy to take a serious competitor out of the picture

Sep 10, 2013, 9:47 AM [ in reply to Obvious ploy to take a serious competitor out of the picture ]

Interesting how he is hinting that Spurrier might be cheating.

chickentech has been put on back-to-back NCAA Probations

Sep 10, 2013, 10:19 AM

for all intents and purposes. and it was Spurrier's first and only NCAA probation as a head coach. It would shock NO ONE to read headlines about further rules indiscretions by the chickens

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

me say "I like him" is BS

Sep 10, 2013, 10:50 AM

deep down, we know how you feel Mark...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 2,349
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic