Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Arrived home from Cali about midnight last night...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Arrived home from Cali about midnight last night...

Jan 9, 2019, 11:35 AM

and like so many others I thought I'd share my $0.02 about the trip and the game.

1. We were supposed to arrive in San Francisco around 10:30 PM (Pacific time) on Thursday evening but didn't arrived until early Friday morning (approximately 2:30 AM Pacific time) due to a mechanical issue on the connecting flight from San Diego to San Francisco.

2. The weather absolutely sucked. Other than the day of the game, it was windy, rainy and foggy every day we were out there. Even the locals were wondering why the game was being played in the Bay area.

3. According to the locals, most residents in the Bay area couldn't care any less about sports (of any kind). They're more into festivals, concerts, and cultural events. I can't tell you how many times someone asked us why so many people were in town wearing Clemson and Alabama gear.

4. Someone on TigerNet mentioned this before the trip and they were absolutely correct; the were a lot of homeless people and beggars.

5. On a positive note, if you're a foodie, San Francisco is the place for you. Lots and lots of different restaurants. If you're ever in the area, check-out Fog Harbor Fish House at Pier 39 near Fisherman's Wharf. It's awesome !!!!

6. Muir Woods National Monument, Alcatraz, Battery Spencer and Stanford University were great side treks even in the wind and rain.

7. The Bay area is EXPENSIVE !!!! Gas prices in the Greenville area are in the $1.89 per gallon range. Gas prices in the Bay area range from $3.60 to $4.00 per gallon.

8. The Bama fans we encountered roaming around the city in the wind and rain with us were all very respectful and complimentary. They did a good job of mimicking the u5c mass exodus tradition in the third quarter.

9. Levi’s Stadium did a much better job of hosting the championship game than Jerry's World did of hosting the Cotton Bowl. Much more fan friendly experience (other than the outrageous concession prices).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Mark Packer said that we outnumbered Bama 2 to 1...and that

Jan 9, 2019, 11:48 AM

to his and everyone else's surprise, the stadium was close to full. Your thoughts?

Thanks for the recap.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was a little hard to tell...

Jan 9, 2019, 12:15 PM

because of the odd stadium layout. To suggest that the crowd was 2 to 1 in favor of Clemson might be a bit of a stretch.

The game was not a complete sellout. There were definitely some empty seats.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: It was a little hard to tell...

Jan 9, 2019, 1:19 PM

Game was sold out. It was there were tickets available via the secondary markets.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Packer might want to get his eyes checked. There were definitely

Jan 9, 2019, 12:16 PM [ in reply to Mark Packer said that we outnumbered Bama 2 to 1...and that ]

more Bama than Clemson there. Even our IPTAY section was overrun with them.

May have been some of the Packman ACC spin...just copying

Jan 9, 2019, 3:37 PM

the SEC...if you say it then it's true.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Arrived home from Cali about midnight last night...

Jan 9, 2019, 11:59 AM

SF is a great city even with the homeless and sanitation problems. I was hoping someone would see Bobby Petrino at Lombard street. How great would it be to see the crookedest man in the world at the crookedest street

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

16 oz. Bud Light Was $ 12

Jan 9, 2019, 12:01 PM

Beer was very expensive

The homeless situation sort of surprised me around San Jose.

Jan 9, 2019, 12:21 PM

One of the richest areas of the world but the main drag had homeless encampments and mountains of trash all along the roadway. Every single bridge had people living underneath. The mountains of trash on the road was the biggest surprise.

Lived in the Bay Area

Jan 9, 2019, 3:49 PM

The weather does suck but also pretty good sometimes. Hit or miss.

Fisherman's Wharf is a tourist hang-out. No one who lives in the area EVER goes there. There are way better restaurants in the Marina district. I would strongly recommend Isa.

Sounds like you ran the tourist gambit. Pretty normal thing to do but SF is so much more than the Fisherman's Wharf, Alcatraz, etc. Too bad you didn't know a fellow Tiger who lived in the area to show you around.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Arrived home from Cali about midnight last night...

Jan 9, 2019, 3:58 PM

Yea, beers outside the stadium in that fanzone area were $13 for Dos Equis, Heineken or Strongbow. It took a couple of hours to notice people standing around with Bud Lights - we asked and apparently they weren't advertising those, but for a dollar less, they'd sell you a Bud Light - and then wrap it in a Dos Equis koozie. Inside the stadium, it's the same price. Hotdogs were in the $10 range I think, same as nachos. *I did get this ~$10 hot link sausage that was better than anything I've gotten in any other sports venue.

Downtown San Jose was actually pretty nice, outside of the weather. Everyone was pleasant (beyond the Indian/Chinese Uber drivers), excellent restaurants and overall people were proud to host us - those that we spoke to anyway. Lots of locals interested in Clemson and South Carolina in general. Most of them have no idea - thought we were in NC. Also, they were surprised to find that we have the coast. Almost all we spoke to had this vision of the entire state of SC resembling West Texas.

The fanzone events were cool - especially that stunt drop thing. My fiancee was scared to death, but she did it and had a blast. Overall, that entire area was a pretty good setup, other than that Keith Urban concert (I know he probably has a ton of fans, I'm just not a big country music person).

I know the location choice had a ton of critics, but I have to say - it was pretty awesome, the way it worked out. The locale gave us the chance to turn it into a mini-vacation and see a part of the country I'd likely probably not have visited otherwise. The homeless people tend to stay to themselves and at no point was I harassed or feel unsafe - even walking the streets by myself late Saturday/Sunday night. I wish the weather had been better and that we'd gotten to venture farther out, but that wasn't the hosting cities fault. A much more welcoming crowd than I had assumed and it went better than I would have guessed. After everything, I do think we'll probably make another trip out there to do some more exploring.

Message was edited by: wisertime®

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic