Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Marcus Lattimore Question
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 2,334

Marcus Lattimore Question

Oct 29, 2012, 9:35 AM

Sorry to beat a dead horse and also sorry if germans. First, let me state that I am definitely rooting for ML to recover completely and hope that he does return to the field and makes it to the NFL. That was devastating and was very hard to watch. Now for my question:
I have read countless statements about how ML is a classy person and is what football is all about, etc. My question is (simply because I don't know that much about the kid) is what makes him so classy? Why is he the model athlete, etc? What makes him different than anyone else?

- Keep in mind, I would not wish that on anyone, whether classy or not, coot or not, or anyone. I just want to know more of his background and what he has done to make him so respected other than bouncing back from the last injury.

Thanks!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some of that comes from what he does on the field.

Oct 29, 2012, 9:39 AM

I don't think I've ever seen him celebrate a touchdown by doing anything other than hugging a teammate and tossing the ball to the official.

Most of it, I think, comes from the way he conducts himself off the field. This is where most of us don't have personal experience, but have to rely on the testimonies of those who do. And he has a spotless reputation.

Seriously, he has

Oct 29, 2012, 11:40 AM

stayed out of jail while playing for a program that has
a well documented lack of institutional control. The fact that he's remained out of jail and has good grades in a rogue program is, most likely, a testament to his character.

He hasn't been arrested?

Oct 29, 2012, 9:41 AM

In today's college athletic atmosphere, that seems to put you on another level right off the bat.

He's a

Oct 29, 2012, 9:42 AM

Deandre Hopkins kinda guy!

Re: Marcus Lattimore Question

Oct 29, 2012, 9:47 AM

I guess he could be compared to a James Davis or Gaines Adams here. Hard worker, team first, lead by example, good character.....etc...

Oct 29, 2012, 9:49 AM

A good friend of mine tore his ACL playing soccer a few months before Lattimore's injury last season and they shared the same doctor. When Lattimore began his rehab they used my friend's recovery as an example and Lattimore asked to meet him. I think that says something about his will to recover. I hope he does recover and plays again, but I also hope he fumbles six times if he plays against us.

Oct 29, 2012, 9:53 AM

Everything I've both seen and heard says he's not only a excellent student athlete but he's a great person off the field as well.
He works hard even when his teammates slack
http://www.adventureswithmarty.com/2012/10/thank-you-marcus-lattimore.html

I've heard from several students in the program and pastors in the area that he helps lead Bible studies and share Christ with others. I approve at least.

Oct 29, 2012, 9:51 AM

The same thing that makes any other classy athlete classy.

Well-spoken, doesn't get in trouble, keeps his mouth shut and is a good team player.

Oct 29, 2012, 9:54 AM

James Davis/Deandre Hopkins kind of guy - that best summed it up for me. Also I understand the not celebrating, and all of that. Thanks.

He once said he wished he had CJ Spiller speed... i thought

Oct 29, 2012, 9:56 AM

that was cool!

Oct 29, 2012, 10:12 AM

i live in Columbia, work at 107.5 The Game and am very involved in the community around here. ML is a classy individual, more off the field than on. he does his very best to fit into the community and does not view himself as being above anybody. i have only met him once, but he is a sincere, soft-spoken person who genuinely goes about his business to be a model individual and citizen. he actually carries himself like a young professional rather than a college student. he is serious about his future in football, as well as beyond football, but realizes that football will allow him to achieve a platform to achieve other goals as well. whether you abhor everything gamecock or not, Marcus Lattimore transcends everything coot and allows us all to appreciate the fact that he is just a homeboy from the upstate...

...and no, my allegiance is not to this sinkhole down here, as a matter of fact i fly my Clemson colors in my office with MUCH Clemson pride and absolutely love the fact that it irks todd ellis every time he comes in the building. Duce Staley actually got used to it but still doesn't like it... lol ...and i actually got a rise out of ellis when i teased him that he faked that knee injury and left Dickie DiMasie to take that 45-0 beating at willims-brice in '89; he didn't like that at all... HAHA!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good job. Keep giving it to Ellis...

Oct 29, 2012, 12:38 PM

...his ego is bigger than his lard bucket head.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I heard he

Oct 29, 2012, 12:44 PM

once tried to kill himself, but the bullet was intercepted.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

http://brainsoup.net/pictures/whiteflour.gif

You should call Todd Ellis the Nancy Grace of College FB***

Oct 29, 2012, 12:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Marcus Lattimore Question ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 29, 2012, 11:08 AM

What did it for me is when Sammy got arrested and everyone was throwing him under the bus, calling him a bad person, etc.... who was one of the first people to come to his defense? Marcus Lattimore. He posted something on Facebook along the lines of "Everyone makes mistakes, Sammy is a good guy, leave him alone."

Oct 29, 2012, 11:38 AM

Summer of 2011, I watched Marcus and other members of our team give their testimony at my church. All of them did a great job, and especially Marcus.

About 4 weeks ago, my church did a contemporary revival that involved a group called "Team Impact"...guys doing feats of strength, that kind of thing. About 5 minutes in, probably 20 of our players filled in a couple of the pews on a Thursday night, including many starters. Marcus was right there, and when they did the invitation, he was the first to jump up and go to the front. Marcus wasn't going up because he'd made his decision...he was going up to set an example for any others who may have been on the fence.

You don't see this stuff tweeted or anything, but it just impressed me.

I think much of the response relates to the fact that this is a guy who was a definite first rounder who had come back from one knee injury, and now has another to deal with that could jeopardize his career. That is just sad. I don't think it is a South Carolina thing per se...he's just a good guy and a great talent, and you hate to see it happen.

I appreciated all the nice comments by posters on this site over the weekend.

Oct 29, 2012, 12:36 PM

Just the way he conducts himself. He has always stayed out of trouble. He has always gone out of his way to help his teammates, even showing up several times to run with teammates who had to run stadium stairs for punishment. He is very involved in the community and has done a good deal of community service. He is also very involved in his church.

I think most importantly, it is because of how approachable he is to most people. I've had the privledge of meeting him a few times through a mutual friend and he is one of the coolest guys you could talk to. I first met him playing pickup basketball one day. About a week later I walked by him on campus and he actually came up to me and said hello. It sounds corny, but that was pretty cool and really made an impression because I know he meets tons of students and fans all the time.

I know you guys are Clemson fans and I am a Carolina fan and all that. No one loves the rivalry and trash talking as much as I do - I wouldn't have a thousand posts over here if I didn't. But believe me when I say Marcus truly is one of the good guys. I think you have to root for him make a full recovery and one day play in the NFL. I would want the same thing if this was Watkins or Spiller. I must say 99% percent of the comments over here have been extremely positive, I definitely commend you guys for it.

Oct 29, 2012, 5:08 PM

Great story. This is how collegiate athletes should conduct themselves. Thanks for sharing!

Oct 29, 2012, 12:42 PM

He is a very humble guy and has a good spirit about him. Has a hard work ethic....I know him from his high school days. I work with his former principal too.

Oct 29, 2012, 12:48 PM

He is a good teammate. He is a good student. He is a Christian who is not afraid to share his faith. He is also one of the most humble young men you will meet. And I don't mean among D-1 athletes, I mean he is just humble. He works with youth groups. He is an excellent role model. He is an encourager. He is the kind of guy NCAA football needs a lot more of. I know from some kids involved in FCA at Clemson, Christianity is a big part of your team atmosphere. Adrian Dupres doesn't get the publicity Perry Noble does, but Adrian does an incredible job as our team pastor.

Just amazing he can stay classy at USuC***

Oct 29, 2012, 12:51 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 29, 2012, 1:20 PM

Well first off ML is a Christian young man from a strong family. He is One of the most unselfish young men in college football and a consumate leader. I recently heard of an incident where one of the current players on the team had been assigned punishment for some infraction and had to run the stairs in the stadium. ML showed up to run with him to make sure he not only did what he was supposed to, but to know that he had his support. When ML was asked by the player why he was there he simply stated "because you are". We need more like him in college athletics! Remember, by no means am I a Carolina fan! Just a Marcus Lattimore fan!!

Replies: 22
| visibility 2,334
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic