Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Swinney ranked #3 ACC Coach by Sporting News
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

FB Update: Swinney ranked #3 ACC Coach by Sporting News

May 11, 2015, 2:29 PM

Swinney ranked #3 ACC Coach by Sporting News

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cutcliffe. Lets play him***

May 11, 2015, 2:33 PM

We did in 2012. We beat him 56 - 20 .***

May 11, 2015, 2:36 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Cutcliffe. has had 2 good seasons at Duke and

May 11, 2015, 2:55 PM [ in reply to Cutcliffe. Lets play him*** ]

and 5 losing seasons ... and by playing in the Coastal Division, he didn't have to face FSU or Clemson during the regular season in either of his best seasons.

In his two games against Clemson while at Duke, he's lost 31-7 and 56-20 ...

All due respect in the world for the good job he's doing at Duke, but sometimes it gets a bit blown out of proportion.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

or, he deserves all the credit he receives then some...

May 11, 2015, 2:59 PM

this is what coach cutcliffe took over...

Judge sides with Duke: Your football team stinks

Report: Duke free of damages in contract suit with Louisville

6/21/2008 - Duke Blue Devils Louisville Cardinals

A Kentucky judge has confirmed what Duke fans have known for years: their football team is as bad as it gets.

Bad enough that Louisville should have to find another football team to replace the Blue Devils without penalty after Duke pulled out of the final three games of a four-game contract last season.

In a lawsuit filed late last year, Louisville asked for $450,000 in damages and any additional damages the court saw fit.

But Duke's lawyers argued that the Blue Devils' performance on the field was so poor that any Division I team would suffice as a replacement. Duke is 6-45 over the past five years, 13-90 since 1999.

Judge Phillip J. Shepherd of the Franklin County (Ky.) Circuit Court agreed, according to the Louisville Courier-Journal.

"At oral argument, Duke [with a candor perhaps more attributable to good legal strategy than to institutional modesty] persuasively asserted that this is a threshold that could not be any lower," Shepherd wrote in a summary judgment issued Thursday, according to the paper. "Duke's argument on this point cannot be reasonably disputed by Louisville."

Duke, according to the suit, asked the Cardinals to find a replacement opponent and promised to pay Louisville only if the school could not find one after a "good faith" effort. A $150,000 penalty for each game was included in the contract if a "team of similar stature" could not be found to fill the date.

The two schools were to meet four times between 2002 and 2009. Louisville beat the Blue Devils 40-3 in September 2002, but Duke opted out of the final three games, to be played last season and in 2008 and 2009.

Louisville claimed it struggled to find another team and received "little, if any, help from either Duke or the [Atlantic Coast Conference]" in finding a replacement.

"We're disappointed with the ruling," Louisville spokesman Kenny Klein said, according to the Courier-Journal. "We will take our time to review the decision and explore our future options."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3455278

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like Cutcliffe ... I liked Jim Grobe too ...

May 11, 2015, 3:06 PM

Both did a good job under challenging circumstances ... sort of like whoever happens to be saddled with the Clemson basketball job.

the same clemson basketball program that came off

May 11, 2015, 3:26 PM

4 straight nc2a appearances? i can't take it that far.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're seriously trying to diminish the miracle he's done in

May 11, 2015, 3:07 PM [ in reply to Cutcliffe. has had 2 good seasons at Duke and ]

Durham?

Here is Duke's record the four years before Cutcliffe arrived:

2004 2-9
2005 1-10
2006 0-12
2007 1-11

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Yes ... I suppose I am somewhat ... look closer at the

May 11, 2015, 3:19 PM

schedule he's faced before going completely ape over the record.

As I said, I like him and I think he's done an admirable job at Duke. They were terrible before he arrived just like Wake was terrible before Grobe arrived.

But, in his two best seasons, Ga Tech was the strongest team Cutcliffe has had to face in the regular season, and he's been fortunate to dodge Clemson and FSU while playing a bunch of Elons and Troys, Tulanes, NC Centrals and Navy's.

The great bowl game they played against the (mostly) Manziel-less TAMU was the best game they played since he's been there and even though they actually lost, it pretty much solidified his miracle worker rep.

Manziel played the entire game. Why do you say

May 11, 2015, 3:25 PM

"(mostly) Manziel-less TAMU"?

Also, let's assume Duke played FSU and Clemson the last two years and lost all of them. He still would have won 8 and 7 games those years, which is still incredible for Duke.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Manziel played the entire game. Why do you say

May 11, 2015, 3:32 PM

Yes ... Manziel was in the game, but he wasn't actually "in" the game until very late when he woke up and took over.

Look I'm not arguing that Cutcliffe hasn't done a great job. I'm just not as over the top about him as some.

If I had the chance to trade Dabo for Cutcliffe, I would not do it ... would you?

No I would not. I think Dabo is a better fit at Clemson.

May 11, 2015, 3:39 PM

However, in another thread, I asked this kweshion re: Fisher/Cutcliffe:

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=17218646

I quit reading this response when you said Manziel wasn't

May 11, 2015, 6:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Manziel played the entire game. Why do you say ]

"in" the game mentally until very late.

Watch his reaction at the end of the play starting at 39:20 in this video. It's with 43 seconds remaining in the first quarter. The guy was "in" the game the entire time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIus7uPWFLc

One thing David Cutcliffe has done at Duke that Dabo Swinney hasn't at Clemson: lead his school to it's best season ever.

Maybe you should be over the top about him. The guy is a phenomenal football coach.

He made a bad throw ... was playing badly most of the game

May 11, 2015, 8:01 PM

Manziel wasn't "in" the game regardless of how hyper he got with himself and his team mate after his bad play early on when Duke was winning handily.

But all this aside, let me reiterate ... I think David Cutcliffe is a really good football coach. He's done a great job at Duke.

Cutcliffe has certainly far exceeded the very limited expectations he faced when he arrived.

But ... regarding the original post in this thread and the pecking order of ACC coaches, the main question has to be, would we exchange Dabo for Cutcliffe? Not me ... absolutely not! Expectations for Dabo are sky high at Clemson and expectations for Cutcliffe at Duke are minimal. Dabo can hardly be expected to improve on perfect seasons from Clemson's past.

As good as Cutcliffe has done, he has not produced Duke's best record ever (as you stated). Not even close.

They've been terrible for quite a while, but Duke was once one of the better programs in the country. Eddie Cameron, Bill Murray, and particularly the great Wallace Wade all had several seasons at Duke that were better than Cutcliffe's best.

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/active/d/duke/yearly_totals.php

no, it's all things consider which has done the more

May 11, 2015, 8:36 PM

remarkable job to date. cutcliffe's is the more remarkable which puts him on top. that does not mean he would be a better fit at clemson or that his ceiling is as high as dabo's, but then again dabo would have never been afforded the opportunity to fail at duke during that time.

you're throwing out records that go back 50 plus years, that even a HOF coach could not duplicate in the modern era, which is what is being discussed.

the modern age of college football has seen duke have two of the longest losing streaks among division one schools.

washington and lee won the southern conference over clemson in 1950.

things in football may have changed a bit?

David Cutcliffe is a very good football coach.

May 11, 2015, 8:44 PM

He's done a terrific job at Duke.

and i have no issue whatsoever with the list provided

May 11, 2015, 8:59 PM

in the OP.

dabo appears to have the ability, desire and time to change it.

Wonder where Jim Grobe would have ranked in the

May 11, 2015, 9:04 PM

ACC coaching hierarchy just after the 2007 season?

Just food for thought.

haha, thanks apex, but i'm trying to cut down...

May 12, 2015, 9:10 AM

grobe was quoted recently saying he didn't regret leaving wake for nebraska or arkansas at the time, but he had his regrets "now".

the article i read had some interesting comments from grobe about unfulfilled commitments to facilities on part of the wake admin & his admission he/wake began to recruit more talented players, but ones that came with questionable love for the game &/or those things that come with college football...you know, like class.

I also wonder if Cutcliffe will someday regret turning down

May 12, 2015, 9:22 AM

overtures from Tennessee? Nah, probably not -- especially when that statue of him is erected outside Wallace Wade Stadium.

talk about a match made in heaven? everyone might not

May 12, 2015, 9:26 AM

know about cutcliffe's heart condition, but there aren't many gigs better suited considering duke's medical center/hospital.

Sorry, what I should have said was he has led Duke to its

May 11, 2015, 9:47 PM [ in reply to He made a bad throw ... was playing badly most of the game ]

only double-digit win season in its history. My mistake.

And Duke actually put a lot of resources into the football program when Cutcliffe was hired. The guy knows how to coach. Look at the success he had at Ole Miss (and we've seen his success as an assistant at Tennessee as well).

Would we exchange Dabo for Cutcliffe? Probably not. That doesn't mean I wouldn't love having Cutcliffe as our coach. I think Dabo's strong point is recruiting (hard to argue that) while Cutcliffe's is actually coaching (not saying Dabo isn't a good coach, but I think that's Cutcliffe's strong suit).

I don't think you can compare the two programs in terms of expectations because that would be the equivalent of comparing Vanderbilt and Auburn in the SEC. It's not the same thing.

I think Dabo is a great coach. But someone that can go to a place like Duke and win like Cutcliffe has obviously knows what he's doing and deserves accolades for it. I mean, less than a decade ago, you never even knew if Duke was going to beat an FCS team, let alone win an ACC game or sniff bowl eligibility.

Cutcliffe has done a remarkable job at Duke ....

May 11, 2015, 3:25 PM [ in reply to You're seriously trying to diminish the miracle he's done in ]

but the fact remains, Duke has the luxury of playing in the Coastal Division and therefore does not have to face either FSU or Clemson annually which most certainly benefitted him for a win/loss standpoint.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Fact is that I don't think any college looking for a new

May 11, 2015, 9:39 PM

coach would pick Cutcliffe over Dabo. Not going to happen.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hard to argue with that

May 11, 2015, 2:39 PM

Jimbo has done more with FSU than Dabo has with Clemson. Cutlife has exceeded expectations with duke, i don't know how he has won as many games as he has bc he sure isn't bringing in highly talented players like Clemson and FSU are

Re: Hard to argue with that

May 11, 2015, 2:59 PM

Fisher has done what he was expected to do. He's led a program that's short on ethics and long on laughs, ridicule, and credibility, but ALWAYS chock full of talent. This fall will be very telling for him. If they backslide, it's on him.

Cutcliffe is in the suck-arse division. Yes, he's done a good job, no doubt, but let's see how the chips fall this season. If he can replace the lost weapons, that will be telling. I like him, though...does it the right way.

Addazio is tough as nails...if he had anything worthwhile to work with at BC, facilities and support-wise, he'd be highly talked about.

UVA fans have to be very frustrated. I thought London would succeed...instead he's the football version of our baseball program...enduring a season we'd have rather avoided.

Petrino falls flat this season...L'ville is a 7 win team...and that might be with a bowl.

I don't get Miami...simply don't. Talk about stuck in a time-warp....

Thomas is the best QB to happen to Paul Johnson. He is a master of that offense. Tigers will still drill them this fall...

The views expressed are clearly my own...and somewhat delusional! :)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Isn't bringing in highly talented players? Guess you missed

May 11, 2015, 3:42 PM [ in reply to Hard to argue with that ]

this?

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=17217733

Re: FB Update: Swinney ranked #3 ACC Coach by Sporting News

May 11, 2015, 2:53 PM

Evidently, player behavior and morals did not figure into these rankings. How Coach Swinney could be ranked behind Jimbo with all the problems and discipline issues at FSU is beyond me. Granted, FSU has won alot of games as well as a National Championship, but the lack of control by a Head Coach over his players should figure into this.

May 11, 2015, 3:00 PM

With our Congress and DC as a shining example of control and decorum? Nah...simply emulating! LOL!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So, if Jimbo or DC was our coach-would Clemson have had as

May 11, 2015, 3:11 PM

much success as under Dabo? I don't think Jimbo could have done it--he is in a win-win at FSU as talent just rolls up there--Crablegs are just par for the course there (but we are gaining-Clemson is coming-FSU). I am not sure DC could have collected the type of talent we have now. Kinda easy to put him 2nd but if Duke was in the same division I think DC would be ranked 3rd and the results for Dabo and Jimbo would outshine this.

Message was edited by: AThomas®

Message was edited by: AThomas®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think all three are pretty good coaches.***

May 11, 2015, 4:59 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's a good coach, but no way in hayull Cutcliffe could

May 11, 2015, 3:31 PM

have built what Dabo has built at Clemson. No way, no how, not in a million years. Jimbo . . . eh, he may have won big here, but we would not have the solid, sustainable, integrity-based program that Dabo has built.

I wouldn't trade Dabo for either one.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

So glad Jimbo Fisher is not #1

May 11, 2015, 3:43 PM

With all of the talent he has year after year, they should have more big wins. Seriously, a better coach would have done more. (Not that I want them to...)

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: So glad Jimbo Fisher is not #1

May 11, 2015, 5:46 PM

Jimbo should not be number 1 if just for the way they let Winston show them up last year when they played us. Winston should have been at the house and not on the sideline and especially after he came out did pre game warm-ups.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed. Discipline is a big part of being a head coach***

May 11, 2015, 8:13 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

OMG EREYBODY HATES US

May 11, 2015, 8:08 PM

ITS US AGAINST THE WORLD

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 12, 2015, 8:30 AM

So, Dabo could pass Jimbo pretty quickly if he would just become an enabler and defender of bad behavior, start recruiting thugs and dregs of society, forget about helping mold his players by the great example he and his staff set, and forget about making sure his players graduate. As for Cutcliffe, he has accomplished more at Duke than anybody before him. I'd say he has accomplished twice as much, but don't forget, 2 X 0 = 0. We have stomped the daylights out of them each time we have played, and that won't change anytime soon. Now, Cutcliff has done a good job at Duke, but he pales in comparison to what Dabo has built at Clemson. Number 3 looks pretty good when you consider those facts.

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic