Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sam Blackman charges updated to felony
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 51

Sam Blackman charges updated to felony

Aug 15, 2018, 12:46 PM

CLEMSON, S.C. —

A recently retired Clemson University employee is facing a felony charge in connection to stolen university equipment, according to Pickens County court records.

Sam Blackman, of Central, a retired employee of the university, was charged Friday with simple larceny, Clemson police said.
Advertisement

On Tuesday, Blackman was arrested and charged with grand larceny more than $2,000 but less than $10,000, according to online Pickens County court records.

Grand larceny is a felony charge punishable by to up to five years in prison in South Carolina.

Blackman was released Tuesday on a $5,000 personal recognizance bond, court records said.

Court records said Blackman is not allowed on campus while charges are pending except to show up to court.

Police said an investigation began last month when items were reported missing by members of the athletic department.

According to The State, Clemson's assistant athletic director for video and technology, Richard Bagby, noticed video recording equipment worth around $3,855 was missing from a storage room.

Bagby saw similar equipment for sale on an e-Bay account containing part of Blackman's last name, according to The State.

On Aug. 7, Blackman was seen on video taking equipment from the storage room and putting it under his shirt, The State said.

A recording device that was put in the room after recurring thefts captured the incident, The State said.

The Clemson Police Department and SLED are investigating.

Blackman has a lifelong history with Clemson.

The Clemson Insider reported that Blackman has not missed a football game in Death Valley since he was a young child in 1965.

He became a Clemson student in 1980, and in 1982 he became an unpaid intern in the university's sports information department.

The Insider reported that Blackman later became Clemson’s first graduate assistant in sports information in 1985. The job turned into a regular position in 1987.

He retired from the position at the end of June.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sam Blackman charges updated to felony

Aug 15, 2018, 12:53 PM

Yikes Sammy...what in the world would possess you to do such a thing?!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2018, 1:04 PM

This is remarkably sad.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2018, 1:19 PM

very true. I wonder if this was maybe not a happy retirement and he was retaliating for being pushed out. It certainly wouldnt excuse this but a long term loyal employee doing this out of the blue is hard to imagine.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Man, I don't get it at all

Aug 15, 2018, 4:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Sam Blackman charges updated to felony ]

State Retirement ain't bad at all. With his connections he could have landed a job somewhere like Bourret has for an active retirement. If want the State says is true, it's pretty cut and dry though. This doesn't seem like it's a one time thing either, or even a post retirement thing. This is like a clepto. I don't know what to say, known him forever. Never would have thought this

Aug 15, 2018, 1:06 PM

Isn't this the guy that was always on the Mickey Plyler show?

Aug 15, 2018, 1:10 PM

It is.

Aug 15, 2018, 4:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Sam Blackman charges updated to felony ]

He looks nothing like what I expected from
His voice.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Aug 15, 2018, 9:47 PM

W t f would you know coot

Aug 15, 2018, 10:09 PM

Lol

Aug 15, 2018, 1:10 PM

Eye Spy... The camera never blinks...and they are EVERYWHERE. Welcome to 1984.On the other hand, maybe if people we trust did not betray said trust, they would not be needed..

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I bet Mackey put him up to it.

Aug 15, 2018, 1:11 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Re: I bet Mackey put him up to it.

Aug 15, 2018, 1:12 PM

"THE NICEST MAN IN AMERICA SAM BLACKMAN"

Aug 15, 2018, 1:13 PM

Well he was pretty nice.

Just not the most honest person in the world apparently. :(

Aug 15, 2018, 1:16 PM [ in reply to I bet Mackey put him up to it. ]

Makes me wonder if he had been doing this for years? How much stuff could he have snuck out since 1987?

Aug 15, 2018, 1:19 PM

His eBay account will tell on him if its been a habitual thing. I’m sure that info has been requested as part of the investigation, and perhaps the reason the charges got upped.

A really nice guy.

Aug 15, 2018, 1:22 PM

Makes me sick to hear.

Re: Wayto watch that video equipment room guys

Aug 15, 2018, 1:26 PM

And yet dont waste time on security for the twice vandalized Rock. SMDH

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2018, 1:59 PM

I has had it since the 2nd time.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2018, 2:13 PM

There was a sensor shortly after the vandalism that said some dorky thing like "This property is monitored by the CUPD"..if you stopped at the gate in front of The Rock...Whoever bought Blue Ridge Security out may have done something more than put an Astronaut Helmet on The Rock. It should be on a lift and underground until needed.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2018, 3:53 PM

A machine warning you that something is being monitored by someone as feared as the CUPD is almost an invitation to try .
It'd be the same as building a sausage barricade to keep your Husky from eating out of his food bowl .

DB23

Aug 16, 2018, 10:35 AM [ in reply to Re: Wayto watch that video equipment room guys ]

The "ROCK" should be kept in the oculus and teleported to the HILL before each game.

Clearly CUPD was not involved or Sam would still be

Aug 15, 2018, 4:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Wayto watch that video equipment room guys ]

in business

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At least we won’t hear his boring stories on the radio anymore.***

Aug 15, 2018, 3:59 PM

Re: At least we won’t hear his boring stories on the radio anymore.***

Aug 15, 2018, 4:02 PM

Really? I thought it was the best segment on any of the Clemson radio shows. Hands down.

To each their own I suppose.

Never cared for his delivery, took 20min to tell a 5min story.***

Aug 15, 2018, 4:14 PM

Re: Never cared for his delivery, took 20min to tell a 5min story.***

Aug 15, 2018, 4:27 PM

I know. That was the best part. He told amazing stories like my grandpa used to.

Not everything is better in 140 characters or less. Some are better with a little color.

Aug 15, 2018, 10:21 PM

His color was faded after 5 minutes of his stories. This guy is not old but dang he sounds like he was a member of pitchfork bens crowd

Aug 16, 2018, 8:16 AM

Yeah I pictured him like an 80 year old man, with glasses and barely able to walk with as slow as he talked.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Aug 15, 2018, 5:34 PM [ in reply to Never cared for his delivery, took 20min to tell a 5min story.*** ]

Whoever is his cellmate will either hang himself or know more Clemson stories and facts than all of Tigernet combined

Aug 15, 2018, 6:47 PM [ in reply to Never cared for his delivery, took 20min to tell a 5min story.*** ]

That sounds like all the hosts on WCCP. They should have given him his own show.

More Mickey though, so it will balance out***

Aug 15, 2018, 4:33 PM [ in reply to At least we won’t hear his boring stories on the radio anymore.*** ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2018, 4:13 PM

https://theclemsoninsider.com/2018/06/21/if-there-is-ever-a-clemson-man-it-is-sam-blackman/

I just assumed this was the FSU QB ... since "felony"

Aug 16, 2018, 8:38 AM

was part of the OP.

I have always enjoyed Sam Blackman's segments on WCCP

Aug 16, 2018, 1:03 PM

Has anyone on WCCP acknowledged this situation on air yet? This is definitely unexpected.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have always enjoyed Sam Blackman's segments on WCCP

Aug 16, 2018, 1:27 PM

Walt said he's the only one who predicted this would happen years ago.

Re: I have always enjoyed Sam Blackman's segments on WCCP

Aug 16, 2018, 1:51 PM

10/10 well done

Replies: 36
| visibility 51
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic