Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Major point I have not seen discussed
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Major point I have not seen discussed

Oct 4, 2016, 2:49 PM

Jackson is supposed to be a great QB. Well why did he throw a 3yd pass on 4th down and time running out? This is something Charlie Whitehurst does against Ga Tech.

I see this on 3rd down but not 4th. He should have scrambled around to give receives time to get open. Other receivers seem to be covered pretty well at the time of throw.

Anyone else heard anyone discuss this.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Major point I have not seen discussed

Oct 4, 2016, 2:52 PM

Wide open....sure catch....give your receiver a chance to win a one on one matchup. Underneath routes were open all night. Heck...It was ONLY one yard short!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah

Oct 4, 2016, 2:55 PM

this is one of those classic MMQB discussions. If it works, "You've got to give your receivers a chance to make a play." If it doesn't, "You've got to know where the sticks are."

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2 yards short,ball was in left hand.(replay proves it)

Oct 4, 2016, 3:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Major point I have not seen discussed ]

The OP is right. DW4 the last 40 seconds of the first half and the last 2 drives of the game drove his team down the field. On 4th down with the game on line,Action Jackson was throwing a check down.

Why didn't he just throw the ball to himself...

Oct 4, 2016, 2:53 PM

...he is the greatest player to ever put on pads you know??

I haven't seen this discussed once

Oct 4, 2016, 2:55 PM

And for good reason. It appears to have been the right (or not a bad)decision. The flat was wide open and the back had a lot of space. Had the back cut back inside....we will never know.

And yes I have the game on DVR and have rewatched the play several times.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I haven't seen this discussed once

Oct 4, 2016, 3:14 PM

I've watched it several times. Quick was lined up in the slot, and when Joseph and Carter both blitzed, it left him uncovered. If LJ had gotten him the ball quicker, he could have turned up the field and walked in. If LJ had waited a little longer, Edmond would have been too deep to come off his man and get back in time to make the tackle. We were VERY fortunate on that play, and Edmond made a he77uva play, deserving of the game ball.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep......

Oct 4, 2016, 3:37 PM

That was their biggest adjustment all of the 2nd half. They used 2 WRs or 1 WR and a slot receiver to clear out the flat, then sent the slot or RB into the vacated flat after the secondary had rotated to the clear-out receivers. It's THE problem when you put an extra guy in the box to spy on Jackson.... pick your poison.

Edmond had deep zone responsibility on that side, so he went with the first deep receiver who was clearing out..... but he also has to watch the slip-route or wheel route, because when he sees that, he has to come up and make the play. He made the correct read and did an absolutely great job. I want him on my team every day!

They ran a few versions of that play a lot in the 2nd half. We run a similar play, but do it on the edge - usually to the boundary side - tunnel screen. The way we run it is so we get blocking.... or we use the wheel route to go around it. The way they ran it was to clear out the flat and it worked over and over. I think we should incorporate it into our playbook. I like it a lot.

Re: (NOT SO) Major point not discussed

Oct 4, 2016, 3:30 PM

It is better to be thought a fool than open your mouth (or post) and remove all doubt.

hth

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Re: Major point I have not seen discussed

Oct 4, 2016, 3:41 PM

He 100% made the right read on that play. All the receiver had to do was know where the sticks were and cut it back inside instead of going out of bounds. He probably would have scored.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic