Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Major Kudos to SC's DHEC and, ahem, (SCar), for
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

Major Kudos to SC's DHEC and, ahem, (SCar), for

Oct 25, 2020, 7:41 PM

rolling out a statewide random sample testing program for Covid.

This will contribute tremendously to providing a shared understanding of its spread and effects in our state, quell debate on severity and impact, and help us all work together better to either mitigate or move beyond.

https://www.abccolumbia.com/2020/10/22/dhec-uofsc-team-up-on-a-targeted-testing-approach-to-better-understand-community-spread-of-covid-19/

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yay govt?***

Oct 25, 2020, 7:43 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Major Kudos to SC's DHEC and, ahem, (SCar), for

Oct 25, 2020, 7:49 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah no.***

Oct 25, 2020, 7:58 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow. Imagine that. Random testing for covid to see how

Oct 25, 2020, 7:59 PM

widespread it is, the percentage of asymptomatic people, and the number of people with antibodies. Who came up with this amazing, groundbreaking idea?

This is what SHOULD have been done by every state, and the CDC nationwide, in a coordinated, national testing scheme to begin to have a clue about the virus.

Are there 3 or 4 cases for every one recorded, or 9 or 10? Have 10% or 35% of people been exposed? These are very easy things to pin down, and could have been pinned down by now.

But kudos, I guess for finally doing the obvious.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is this for SPLOST dollars?***

Oct 25, 2020, 8:00 PM

Then what are you gonna do?***

Oct 25, 2020, 8:00 PM [ in reply to Wow. Imagine that. Random testing for covid to see how ]

Know if we can open up fully?

Oct 25, 2020, 8:04 PM

If 40-50% of people have antibodies, we can reopen. If 10% have antibodies, then we need to figure out a long term plan. Some counties in SC have 5%+ of the population with recorded infections. If there's 10 cases for every one reported, those counties are at or close to herd immunity. If those 5% counties have 10% or 20% with antibodies, then there are not 9 cases per reported case and we have a long way to go.

That's what.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Know if we can open up fully?

Oct 25, 2020, 8:08 PM

what is still closed?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oddly enough, government. Buildings, courthouses, libraries

Oct 25, 2020, 8:34 PM

And that's totally random and hit and miss. Courthouses are open for court, trials, etc. Closed otherwise to the public. Others are open fully. Some are closed to everyone unless they have appointments. Aiken County Family Court is open to obtain records, but the probate court, in the SAME COURTHOUSE building, is closed to the public. You can't set foot in the Florence County Courthouse without an appointment. Greenville is wide open. Masks are mandated in all state courthouses and temperatures must be checked because the Supreme Court ordered it. Law firms are working remotely, some are not.

But we can all go to 5 points and get drunk in a bar no problem.....

Oh, and the tax assessor's offices are ALL OPEN, of course.

Re: Oddly enough, government. Buildings, courthouses, libraries

Oct 25, 2020, 8:49 PM

gubmint being closed kinda excites me

Oct 25, 2020, 8:52 PM

i kinda like the DMV appointment system

if you want great service at a DMV, give McCormick County a whack, knowledgeable and professional when they take your money

Oct 25, 2020, 8:55 PM [ in reply to Oddly enough, government. Buildings, courthouses, libraries ]

Re: Know if we can open up fully?

Oct 25, 2020, 8:09 PM [ in reply to Know if we can open up fully? ]

So you're off the herd immunity bandwagon now?

Oct 25, 2020, 9:28 PM

You were preaching it a while back. Herd immunity WAS the science, in your own words. Now it isn't?

I mean I've been wrong about everything, I know.

Re: So you're off the herd immunity bandwagon now?

Oct 25, 2020, 9:41 PM

The science is being hidden.

Oct 25, 2020, 10:19 PM

And probably for a good reason. I said aerosol transmission was proven back in May in several studies. The WHO even held off admitting that until August. Then the CDC released the same info and Trump made them remove it in September. CDC later snuck that information out again when Trump was in the hospital on October 5. Aerosol transmission was proven on the cruise ship in Japan. In a Chinese restaurant back in February. At a church choir practice in the US even in like April or March. On US aircraft carriers. On other cruise ships. In nursing homes. In hospitals even.

Here's what should have happened, ideally in May or June. CDC allocates a couple of million tests and sends them to the states. They ask each state to do what DHEC is just now doing. Do random antibody and PCR tests, totally randomly, spread in geographic regions within each state, in both urban, suburban, and rural areas. Each state crunches the results themselves and send their data back to the CDC. The CDC then can use that to model where we stand, and what we have left to endure.

I will go ahead and tell you what the data will show. We have the worlds highest testing levels. As such, we're finding more than other countries in terms of positive tests as a percentage of all cases. In other countries with less testing, they have seen areas with rates of 2% positive cases equates to 15-20% of people showing antibodies. But since we test more than these other countries, 2% per 100K here means the percentage with antibodies will be lower. I'd expect our hardest hit counties that have 5% of the population having tested positive, in those counties you may find 25%, maybe 30% tops of people have antibodies. Could be lower. But the real number of cases per positive result is more along the lines of 4-5 and not 9.

ALSO, to get to "herd immunity" with this, you need roughly 60% of people to have antibodies in rural areas, and up to 80% of people need them in urban areas to stop the spread. Best case scenario is in SC's hardest hit rural counties, we're half way to herd immunity. That's a best case scenario. If you follow the science on this, you start to wonder, where IS the science on this. Well, it's out there in other countries. What DHEC is doing now in October is day 1 common sense stuff. We already know the answers, I promise you Trump does. And he doesn't like it, so he ignores it and prevents the information from being made public. Many other countries are doing this too, and probably for good reason. But by DHEC choosing to do this now, I think that indicates they know what's ahead. I know they know. But by doing this now, they can pretend to just learn about it.

Only thing I care about is hospitals not reaching capacity to treat people. Anything less than that, like right now (in SC), is fine. And if people just continue to use modest precautions and wear masks, they likely will not reach capacity here again. No need to shut down. Expect a shutdown of hospital data again if things get bad though, like at the height of the cases in the summer. That's our leadership at work.

Re: The science is being hidden.

Oct 25, 2020, 11:22 PM

Re: Wow. Imagine that. Random testing for covid to see how

Oct 25, 2020, 8:11 PM [ in reply to Wow. Imagine that. Random testing for covid to see how ]

That would have required acknowledging its potential threat and then having to put oneself in a position of responsibility to implement a response mechanism.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 25, 2020, 8:15 PM

Oct 25, 2020, 8:21 PM

You inform the public, those people that go out and fuel the economy, because you've put into objective perspective the spread and lethality in your community. I much prefer making decisions based on verified data versus conjecture.

Oct 25, 2020, 8:29 PM

The better/more metrics, the better IMO

Oct 25, 2020, 9:02 PM

My company and those with which we do business have very specific guidelines with regard to reopening specific offices in certain counties...i.e. number of positives per 100,000, etc.

Oct 25, 2020, 9:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Wow. Imagine that. Random testing for covid to see how ]

You are arguing for ignorance, on top of blanket tribal nonsense on the rest as far as participation in the economy being political. Don't be afraid of methodical science at work. Where would T-Net be without it.

Oct 25, 2020, 9:31 PM

And this is why we burn.

Oct 25, 2020, 10:41 PM

Reminds me of the lady who stopped Saturday morning in front of the bank deposit drop box and then spent literally 7 minutes filling out her slip as I waited behind her. I went ahead and wrote out my slip before even leaving the house, and placed it in an envelope, so as to not delay people having to wait on me. I eventually got out, walked right next to her car, and dropped my deposit in the box while she continued to fill out her slip. Then drove off. What can you do.

Are you aware of the word “smug“?

Oct 26, 2020, 11:12 AM

look it up. I think your pic might appear.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This virus is lethal for 3% of people who test positive

Oct 25, 2020, 10:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Wow. Imagine that. Random testing for covid to see how ]

for it.

...and that doesn't count for the as yet to be determined

Oct 25, 2020, 10:52 PM

residual pulmonary/cardio problems... They've been discussed but never satisfactorily addressed.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This virus is lethal for 3% of people who test positive

Oct 25, 2020, 11:09 PM [ in reply to This virus is lethal for 3% of people who test positive ]

How does survivability rate impact my post above...?***

Oct 25, 2020, 11:34 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How does survivability rate impact my post above...?***

Oct 25, 2020, 11:58 PM

who are we supposed to be modeling our response after?

Oct 25, 2020, 10:47 PM

https://bing.com/covid/local/germany

https://bing.com/covid/local/france

https://bing.com/covid/local/spain

https://bing.com/covid/local/italy

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: who are we supposed to be modeling our response after?

Oct 26, 2020, 10:27 AM

Is it too much to ask for us to have led on this? I mean, we're the #1 economy with the #1 technology and medical industries, on top of significant resources invested through the years in public agencies armed to assist with just this very thing. If you deny it, however, and work to suppress the truth around it, how can any of this be utilized effectively?

The more information, the better...

Oct 26, 2020, 6:35 AM

I see some arguments about "privacy" above. That's complete hogwash. No one is going to force anyone to get tested. You don't even have to open the letter in the mail.

Re: The more information, the better...

Oct 26, 2020, 10:57 AM

So you have a problem, not with this testing program,

Oct 26, 2020, 11:06 AM

but with a bunch of stuff unrelated to this testing program. OK.

if you’ve ever been tested (properly) for it

Oct 26, 2020, 11:17 AM

Ain’t no way you’re gonna go hop in your car and let someone biopsy your brain with a q-tip if you aren’t feeling bad.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

8 times now brother.

Oct 26, 2020, 11:45 AM

My nose is going to be leather.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic