Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Major Dilemma!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

Major Dilemma!

Apr 28, 2012, 11:10 AM

Lifelong Chicago Bears fan and wear my Payton jersey all the time. Been to Soldier Field many times. I am asking for some advice as my team drafted Alshon Jeffery. I am 50-50 on dropping them from my team all together, but need to know what T-net would do!

Carolina Panters are my 2nd team and I am thinking of giving up on the Bears for this pick alone.

What do you say?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm a Bears fan to, and knowing our history over the past 30

Apr 28, 2012, 11:15 AM

years, the Bears our notorious for selecting players that had good college careers and did nothing in the NFL. Remember Rashan Salaam, Curtis Enis, Cade McCown. That being said, the Bears fan side of me wants him to turn out to be good.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't see any reason to drop the team.

Apr 28, 2012, 11:18 AM

It's the pro level now, so a lot of that college antagonism vanishes. Heck, I actually wanted my Jets to draft Melvin Ingram instead of Quinton Coples. My criticism of Alshon actually didn't have much to do with despising the program he played for. It was simply because I'm not sure he has the athleticism to keep up with NFL defenders.

"The rock has strange powers. When you rub it, and run down the hill, the adrenaline flows. It’s the most emotional experience I’ve ever had." -Michael Dean Perry

"If you don't like Clemson, something is wrong with YOU." -Dabo Swinney

Re: I don't see any reason to drop the team.

Apr 28, 2012, 11:24 AM

They have coots on the Panthers team also!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 28, 2012, 5:05 PM [ in reply to I don't see any reason to drop the team. ]

I agree. I am a Jets fan and am praying Ricky Sapp has a monster year. I also wanted us to go after DaQuan Bowers last year when he fell. My disdain for Clemson ends on draft day.

Re: I was thinking that you love us as much as you stay on

Apr 28, 2012, 5:16 PM

the board.

Re: I was thinking that you love us as much as you stay on

Apr 28, 2012, 5:22 PM

It is exam week...trying to kill time.

Apr 29, 2012, 11:41 PM [ in reply to Re: I don't see any reason to drop the team. ]

I'm a Patriots fan and was dying for them to take Jeffrey. I wouldn't use a first round pick on the guy because he had a questionable 40 and he looked out of shape last time I saw him but in the second round he could potentially be a steal.

He never really had any problems in school as far as I know, he's a good character guy and if he was on my team and performed I wouldn't care what team he played for.

Well the Panthers sign south carolina.......

Apr 28, 2012, 11:24 AM

players all the time. Already have Norwood and Captain Munnerlyn. When a player gets to the pros I tend to look past the college he played for, especially if he is on my favorite team.

GO PANTHERS

Re: Well the Panthers sign south carolina.......

Apr 28, 2012, 11:26 AM

I saw Munnerlyn get toasted so much last season, they should change his name to "Merita"...pretty obvious the Panthers don't have a lot of talent at that position or he wouldn't be playing as much

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, but I don't think you want Norwood or Munnerlyn...

Apr 28, 2012, 11:28 AM [ in reply to Well the Panthers sign south carolina....... ]

on the Panthers anymore, since they have been busts.

I dont but the Panthers are obsessed with drafting.....

Apr 28, 2012, 2:38 PM

players from South Carolina

Re: Major Dilemma!

Apr 28, 2012, 11:26 AM

In ten years everyone will still know who the Fridge is. Can't say the same about Alshon

Apr 28, 2012, 11:40 AM

I am a lifelong Cowboy fan,and if drafting Stephen Garcia (or hiring Steve Spurrier as my QB coach) would enhance my teams chances at another Superbowl,I would do it in a minute.
Of course,trading,or releasing Jerry Jones would be my first course of action.
The fact is pro teams are not tied to the college ranks.The pros evulate their need,and draft accordingly.The fact that Jeffery's played for the coots is inmaterial.Can he help the Bears is what matters most.

Whoa! Don't drop the team.

Apr 28, 2012, 11:46 AM

My motto is 'once they are out of that garnet jersey - give them one more shot.' I'm not going to ever 'pull' for a former gamecock but I sure can respect them as players (especially if they are good) once they get into the NFL (unless, of course, they go play for the Cowboys or Eagles).

As a football fan, I respect great play. If Alshon doesn't have the class or isn't good enough to play - you won't have to worry about him, he'll get cut. If he is, then he deserves respect as a player (even if he IS a coot)....

Re: Whoa! Don't drop the team.

Apr 28, 2012, 11:47 AM

OK, I guess I am all in with the Bears. I didnt think about the Panthers signing those other coots! Maybe Alshon will stop eating Big Mac's and play like he did a year ago. Thanks for the advice!

Apr 28, 2012, 12:00 PM

Why worry about it.... NFL players typicaly dont stay with one team very long. Of course.. you are ASSUMING the team stays there....

Apr 28, 2012, 12:04 PM

I will never drop the bears as my team but I definatly took a second look when I heard it. Didn't like him in college but I hope he tears it up now.

You're obviously not that big of a Bears fan if that would

Apr 28, 2012, 12:20 PM

cause you to stop you from rooting for them so who cares?

Pull for the Steelers they probably have had more Tigers....

Apr 28, 2012, 12:28 PM

on their roster through years than any other team.

Re: Pull for the Steelers they probably have had more Tigers....

Apr 28, 2012, 12:48 PM

Reminds me of living in Greensboro during the old ABA days. Randy Mahaffy played for the Carolina team, but the center was Owens from USCjr. The Tar Hole crowd would actually boo both of them in intros, with Owens getting the loudest. Funny thing, when the vote came in for the favorite player, Randy won over a couple of Tar hole players

That distinction may go to the 49ers. I haven't researched

Apr 30, 2012, 7:28 AM [ in reply to Pull for the Steelers they probably have had more Tigers.... ]

it, so don't kill me if I'm wrong. The 9ers have been drafting Tigers since the 70's, though.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Anyone that takes it that seriously

Apr 28, 2012, 2:05 PM

Has problems.

hopefully you realize what should be common sensplay at players on these teams generally like each other and some are great friends.

Refrigerator Perry

Apr 28, 2012, 2:42 PM

Don't drop them in his name only

And Steve Fuller***

Apr 28, 2012, 2:49 PM

Hunker down, he will be gone in 2 years or less...Troy

Apr 28, 2012, 5:10 PM

Williamson was a better prospect...

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Words of wisdom.***

Apr 28, 2012, 8:44 PM

Re: Hunker down, he will be gone in 2 years or less...Troy

Apr 30, 2012, 12:37 AM [ in reply to Hunker down, he will be gone in 2 years or less...Troy ]

Alshon can actually catch though.

Jeffery is a stud

Apr 29, 2012, 12:40 AM

He's not the fastest WR in the world, but he has amazing hands. He's got great ball skills...helped his high school team win 4 state championships and only played 2 years of HS football. I suppose he chose college football because his body type is perfect to be a big WR in the NFL. There are several impressive highlight reels of Jeffery on Youtube, be sure to catch his 2010 highlights vs Alabama (crazy one handed catches despite obvious pass interference) and his 2012 bowl game vs Nebraska. He has burned many NFL DBs already.

Jeffery is a team-first guy with a great work ethic. You'll never hear him complain about not getting enough catches, and you'll never hear him boast or get a big head after having big games. USC became a successful rush-first team in 2011 largely because AJ drew double coverage in most of every game but vs Nebraska. He acknowledges that he helped USC win 11 games this way, and never b*tched about getting way fewer balls thrown his direction compared to the 2010 season.

I met him briefly, and he seemed like a quiet dude with a good sense of humor and overall positive outlook on things. I doubt you will ever have to worry about him spending long nights out drinking and smoking weed, or anything like that.

I'm not sure why you would ask tigernet about him, as he played for Clemson's hated rival. If he had gone to Clemson and had the success he did at USC, everyone here would love him and wish him the best...but this is college football, and that's not what happened.

Jeffery will be an NFL star within 5 years. I do not see him being traded in that time span unless the Bears make a purely business trade. He will be a very dedicated player to the Bears organization, and it won't take long for him to get major playing time.

4 state champs in basketball******

Apr 29, 2012, 12:41 AM

Apr 29, 2012, 11:37 PM

"COWBOYS !!"

Stick with them. Panthers have the Captain in the

Apr 30, 2012, 10:26 AM

secondary!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up