Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
MY NOTES AND OBSERVATIONS FROM GAME 1
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

MY NOTES AND OBSERVATIONS FROM GAME 1

Sep 7, 2015, 12:13 AM

While watching the game I noticed a few things on both sides of the ball to include special teams. Here's what I noticed.

On Offense: I can honestly say I believe that we played very vanilla. We didn't run Watson as much, and Tight Ends weren't that much of a factor. We didn't go for the deep ball but once or twice, which is unlike Clemson. There wasn't much misdirection or play action screen plays. It was basic pitch and catch for the most part. It almost seemed like a glorified practice. Not to mention we played our 2nd string more so than the 1st string. This leads me to believe that Clemson didn't bring the big show on Saturday. I think had they played as well as they could have then Clemson would have won by 70 points. The offense is in good hands though and has a very bright future.

On Defense: The production was still there without Vic Beasley, Grady Jarrett, Stephone Anthony, and Tony Stewart. What I noticed though was that there wasn't as many sacks in this game, but still lots of pressure on the QB and lots of tackles for loss. When your team can play vanilla, and still dominate on the defensive side of things then that is good news for Clemson fans.

Special Teams: This was one of the primary areas of concern for Clemson fans and coaches, but I didn't see any issue with our kicking game at all. Also, our return team is doing way better.

OVERALL: I think that for once we can expect a balanced unit on both sides of the ball with depth to match. If 90% of the players out there were Freshmen or Red Shirt Freshmen then I would say we have a viable team that could make a run for the Playoffs each of the next 3 to 4 seasons.

Notre Dame played their very best and didn't play vanilla football. It showed as they toppled Texas which is a horrible team this year. Louisville played their best football and almost came back to win against Auburn. I no longer consider them a threat to our season though. If they play the same way against that Clemson offense then it will be 56-0 at Half time.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

Re: MY NOTES AND OBSERVATIONS FROM GAME 1

Sep 7, 2015, 12:21 AM

yup, only two fumbles by our return unit which is doing way better. :)

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 7, 2015, 12:55 AM

Yea and you gotta figure that one was a fumble by a Freshman playing in his first Collegiate Football Game.

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

Sep 7, 2015, 1:08 AM

was nice to see them at least attempt some returns, even though they resulted in comedy.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^ Sleeping on Wake and Syracuse.......

Sep 7, 2015, 1:21 AM

But rightfully so.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 7, 2015, 5:15 AM [ in reply to Re: MY NOTES AND OBSERVATIONS FROM GAME 1 ]

I may be wrong, but Ray Ray may have thought the one he was chasing hit one of our players. I watched again yesterday, and it looked like it got close to one of our guys. Hopefully that's why he gave chase.

GO TIGERS!!!!!

I think it hit Renfrow and he was trying to get on the ball.***

Sep 7, 2015, 9:47 AM

Sep 7, 2015, 1:11 AM [ in reply to Re: MY NOTES AND OBSERVATIONS FROM GAME 1 ]

I was thinking the same thing (the returns were bad). Just let the ball go by rather than chase after it on a punt. But, I would add that our defense did better than expected. We didn't get a bunch of sacks because we were defending the option. But they were in the backfield when they needed to be, which was a plus. I thought Pagano played exceptionally.

Sep 7, 2015, 2:54 AM

Exactly-when a team rarely passes it is hard to notch sacks!

Sep 7, 2015, 5:19 AM

Good post. I agree with the "vanilla" stuff. We didn't show our hand very much IMO.

We'll be fine after the new guys receive a couple of punts and understand more about that. Just a learning curve IMO.

I certainly feel better about some new faces. They looked like they have tons of potential. Most surprising was Kelly Bryant because I have been concerned how he would play. I didn't feel too good after watching the Shrine Bowl game, and that's the only time I have seen him play. He will be fine - and I'm in the camp that he is a solid #2 ahead of Nick. His potential is off the chart.

I was also impressed with the D and those cut blocks didn't injure our players. Of course, GT will bring bigger and better players when they cut block. I still think GT/ND winner will be our toughest opponent as FSU looked unimpressive. I digress, but our D looked very solid in their coverage.

Overall - I have the "warm and fuzzy" feeling about our team that I was hoping to see.

Sep 7, 2015, 6:12 AM

Overall good effort. This team is strong. Would like to have seen more passing from the opponent but they are who they are. Dodd concerns me a little.Hopefully we stay healthy the rest of the year we can compete with anyone on our schedule.

Sep 7, 2015, 6:32 AM

The rugby style punt needs to be defended better. It can start with a hard rush from the outside. The punter would have to kick it quicker, or run the risk of the low trajectory punt being blocked. Also, is this type punter considered fair game once he leaves the tackle box since he is a potential runner at that point. I doubt this is the last rugby style punter we face this year.

Sep 7, 2015, 7:09 AM

Great post...+1. Vanilla was a good term to describe both sides of the ball. There's no way we're going to tip our hand to the competition against an FCS opponent. We ran a variation of a handful offensive plays repeatedly, and our defensive scheme was simple, assignment football...very well executed, and an opportunity to get the FR feet wet. Overall, they did an excellent job.

Offensively, I was impressed with DW4, and my fears of him cutting, scrambling or taking off downfield were somewhat quelled. RB play was great, but I still don't understand the #2 spot going to Davidson...I thought Dye and Brooks showed more promise, but I'm just a fan. The OL play was excellent, and even though "it was against Wofford", it was definitely something to build off of. The increased role of the TE's, the fact that they blocked well and the exceptional play of Garrett Williams was great to see...he will end up a star for us. Getting Bryant some PT was big. I think Schuss played well outside of the fumble, but missed some reads and doesn't give us the flexibility that Bryant does...Bryant is the clear backup IMO. Losing Mike will hurt us experience-wise, but if we're going to play championship football it has to be next man up. We can win with the talent we have, but must get them game ready this weekend. Peake, Thompson, Cain, Hopper, McCloud and RENFROW...guess the staff wasn't blowing smoke about him and he is real, but this group has to step up and produce. I think we see a new star born this season, and continue the WRU tradition. The offense is still in great shape.

Defensively, my projections were correct...not much of a drop off there. The areas that did show some regress were LB and DE, from a pressure standpoint. This group didn't get to the edge as quickly as last year, but still was great at attacking the LOS. This could have simply been a result of the triple option and playing assignment football, so let's wait and see. Pagano is a stud at blowing up the LOS, maybe even better than Grady at this point in his career...let's hope he continues to improve. Simply put, our secondary is nasty! We're at the point where we can play 8 in the box, man to man coverage and a safety over top. That creates a major disadvantage to opposing offenses. It's been quite some time that our secondary has been this talented. Again, it was great to get the FR feet wet. Wilkins is as advertised, and Joseph and Williams will be household names by the end of the season. Good to see Austin Bryant, Ferrell and Yeargin make plays. The defense will keep rocking.

Special teams is hard to judge. I thought Huegel did well with the opportunities he was given. Kickoffs at least made it in the end zone most of the time, and he got experience at PAT's. With that said, we must improve our kick coverage, and hopefully we won't have to kick FG's this season. The rugby style punts are becoming more common, and IMO should NEVER be fielded unless you can catch it on a good hop. It's too dangerous and can change a game in a hurry. Outside of a ball that McCLoud went after because it touched one of our players, I thought the KR and PR was improved.

Other notes:

ND played NOBODY on opening night. Wofford would have given them more trouble than Texas.

Auburn is overrated as usual, and Louisville is not the team they once were.

F$U is still overrated and Golson was trying too hard to NOT make a mistake.

GT/ND will tell us a lot about our matchup. I think GT wins this one, but these will be our toughest tests this season.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic