Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
MLB DRAFT - need some info baseball gurus
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1,264

MLB DRAFT - need some info baseball gurus

Jun 10, 2016, 10:29 AM

In your opinion how did we do as far as losing incoming talent or Juniors last night. Kieboom at #28 I assume will have to go pro. Okey at 43 is gone. Is it too early to tell about the rest of the guys incoming and already here?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: MLB DRAFT - need some info baseball gurus

Jun 10, 2016, 11:41 AM

my dad talked to a scout after the regional at his hotel and they are expecting wilson and white to both go and possibly bostic. Kieboom and macgregor are both gone. I would guess any other signees that go today are in jeopardy of leaving as well.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 10, 2016, 12:46 PM

It also depends on the team that is doing the drafting, what position our kids are in the draft and how much slot money those teams are willing to spend. Teams like the Nats reward their early round picks accordingly but it reduces the amount they have to spread around through the rest of the draft. Teams like the Marlins are notorious tight wads and are difficult to get money out of (historically speaking). So a lot of variables are in play. Lots will be determined early this afternoon.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 10, 2016, 12:57 PM

Speaking about the signees, its a tough decision for a kid, you take the college route and get your degree and then go or do you go straight for the money. I played with a guy in high school that was drafted 27th overall, he never made it out of the minor leagues and everyone always thought he could have used that time in college to improve his game.

A lot of people don't realize how tough getting through the minor leagues actually is and at the same time you're going against equal or better talent.

Early rounds its a time value of money calculation

Jun 10, 2016, 2:12 PM

they are usually paying you enough that going to school ends up hurting you financially (you can't improve your draft stock enough to offset having forgone 3 years of interest).

Middle rounds was a toss up. Later rounds no brainer if you can afford college. Some of the calculations have changed because of the way that draft picks are paid now, but its still probably not worth going to school if you are a 1st to 3rd rounder.

Jun 10, 2016, 12:43 PM

I remember a guy who was drafted high out of high school by Cleveland Indians. He decided to play fullback at Clemson. One spring practice he was running first string ahead of a guy who ended up first team all acc. But he blew out his Achilles Tendon and was never right again. Cost him big bucks.

Jun 10, 2016, 5:24 PM

Bostic is going no matter what.

I suspect Wes and Eli to do the same, both had respectable years and if you're a Sr you have absolutely zero leverage.

Replies: 6
| visibility 1,264
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic