Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Lungers who often dabble in real estate, I need some input
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 57
| visibility 648

Lungers who often dabble in real estate, I need some input

Oct 31, 2018, 10:11 AM

I'm at wits end with my current buyer. We're on day #4 of repair negotiations, and I want to kill the entire deal just to spite this ####### guy.

We received our repair request fairly early in the day Sunday. Many ridiculous items, however, I did agree to a few things that I felt I was contractually obligated to do. However, I am tired of being countered on the repair requests. Here is what buyer is wanting:

1) Wants a licensed electrician to come replace TWO outlets, one in the bathroom, and one in the kitchen with GFCI. I did offer to change them, but I would do myself since pretty much anyone with a pulse can perform this task. He balked, per his loan repairs have to be done by a licensed electrician, or whatever. I said fair enough, do it yourself. Nope, this is apparently a sticking point.

2) The waterline to the ice maker in the refrigerator I did not even want to convey with the house is cracked. It's been cracked for years and I never replaced it, why would I do this for him?

Is this reasonable? I feel like this is totally unreasonable? I'm paying closing costs and giving him a home warranty, but we're going back and forth over two outlets and an ice maker. I have no idea how some of you move as much as you do, this experience makes me want to totally check out of society.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hold your ground.

Oct 31, 2018, 10:15 AM

Make him balk, especially at the outlets. As for the water line, is it the supply line from the source or the connection from that line to the fridge? If it is the former, you may want to have it repaired, if it is the latter, he should have one on his fridge or you can spend $10 and buy a new one at Lowe's

Did you move the mulch?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

It's just a little pneumatic looking line that runs from the

Oct 31, 2018, 10:22 AM

bottom of the refrigerator to the ice maker, nothing wrong with the source line. The problem is, it's really a PITA to get to. I looked at replacing it, but there's really no way to get my hand under there to get the line off without putting the fridge on it's side.

I did not move the mulch. This is where I wish I was representing myself. I wanted to explicitly tell his agent that if I moved any mulch, I would remove all mulch. I do not get the sense this happened, and was not conveyed in writing on the contract. Very disappointed in that.

I do think I'm drawing my line in the sand here, we haven't gotten the appraisal yet so I fear it'll come in a little lower than the sale price. If so, I KNOW they're going to try to beat me up on that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Take the refrigerator with you

Nov 30, 2022, 1:54 PM

burn the house down

problem solved

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is going to sound like a CAPT Obvious response

Oct 31, 2018, 10:15 AM

It really depends on how much of a priority you want to put on dumping the house, at what cost, and how fast. We are about to go through the same thing and my realtor has a laundry list of things she wants us to do before we sell. My answer to her was that it was easy for her to talk about spending other people's money. But, at the same time Mrs. Maddog wants little friction and is telling me to suck it up and pay the difference.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We went through that too, I spent about 3 weeks getting

Oct 31, 2018, 10:29 AM

everything ready. Replaced back door, new outlet covers, painting, replaced some worn floor boards...

We put a lot of work into it before it went on the market, specifically to avoid B.S. like this.

Dude

Oct 31, 2018, 10:20 AM

No home warranty...are you fffucking crazy?? The way this guy sounds he is going to rip you a new azzhole as soon as he moves in and finds stuff. I know how this stuff works from being in home construction. DO NOT GIVE A WARRANTY ON A USED HOUSE. SELL AS IS.

To answer your questions. You don't need GFCIs if your home is older than that code. Tell him to go eff himself. As a far as the fridge water line he can hire a plumber and get it done for a few hundred bucks. Always sell as-is bro

Wait, Is LB offering the home warrenty himself

Oct 31, 2018, 10:22 AM

or is he offering to pay the 500 or whatever for a home warrenty through a company?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Paying the $515 for a warranty

Oct 31, 2018, 10:24 AM

LOL, like I would personally warranty this home myself? Do people do that?

I hope not***

Oct 31, 2018, 10:25 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sell as is? Lol to a buyer who would agree to that

Oct 31, 2018, 10:44 AM [ in reply to Dude ]

unless they were bulldozing it and doing a new build.

My seller paid the $500 or whatever for a year of warranty through a home insurance company, that's pretty standard.

Re: Sell as is? Lol to a buyer who would agree to that

Nov 1, 2018, 9:31 AM

I bought my house as-is, but it is 150 years old and I was buying it from my grandmother who ended up dying 2 months later.

That's about the only situation that I would consider doing that.

And yes, I found tons of pre-existing termite damage, tons of plumbing issues, a roof leak or two, AC unit died, well pump died, on of the barns collapsed within a year or so of buying.

Such is life.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Step 1. Do better upkeep of your house

Oct 31, 2018, 10:21 AM

Step 2. Both of those are minor things that can easily fixed. If you're not in a rush then don't worry about it. If you are in a rush. Get it done.

We had the owner set aside 2k for a repair he didn't want to do. I then went back and did it myself after we bought the house. Saving the 2k for when the roof needs to be replaced.

I'm supposed to close on another house the same day

Oct 31, 2018, 10:25 AM

But I've got a month. However, I am willing to cut off my nose to spite my face. When people aggravate me like this, I will go to whatever lengths necessary to make sure they don't get what they want.

Everything else in the house checked out fine, completely minor bullshid that this guy has been asking for. He just doesn't seem like he wants to let it go for some reason.

He's trying to force your hand.

Oct 31, 2018, 10:27 AM

tell him you'll set aside x amount in a trust with his realtor and he can get it fixed himself. This won't add anymore time for closing. Waiting on any kind of contractor to show up in a certain time frame is a roll of the dice

Also, it probably won't pass inspection without GFI's in the kitchen and bathrooms.

Message was edited by: FBCoachSC®

They're there, two of them just wouldn't trip

Oct 31, 2018, 10:42 AM

They're 11 years old, so probably need to be replaced anyway. If I would have thought about it, I'd have changed them out weeks ago.

I would set aside 200 dollars

Oct 31, 2018, 10:44 AM

tell him he can fix it after closing and pocket the 200

I have never looked it up

Oct 31, 2018, 11:19 AM [ in reply to Step 1. Do better upkeep of your house ]

But for $2k, cant you just get an entirely brand new trailer from a dealer?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

As someone who enjoys dabbling in real estate, I've found

Oct 31, 2018, 10:23 AM

that silently breaking into the house and then standing over the potential buyer's bed in the middle of the night and threatening to take a few fingers off with a pair of tin snips tends to be one of the most powerful negotiating tools you can use to close a deal.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I do know where he lives, and it's not far from me

Oct 31, 2018, 10:28 AM

I share in your belief that violence or the threat of violence can solve pretty much any problem.

If we don't learn from them, then everything that the

Oct 31, 2018, 10:32 AM

Mexican drug cartels do is for naught.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seems like a couple of minor issues. If you like the

Oct 31, 2018, 10:29 AM

offer, fix that shizz and get closed. If it's a borderline offer and you're tired of his shizz, tell him to wrap it up in the closing costs and do it himself...albeit a bit more politely.

Sold a house a few years ago, where the buyer was alright, wanted the typical stuff done, but their realtor was a world class a-hole. Was overboard nitpicking everything he could, in front of his buyer during negotiations. I spoke quietly to the buyer, who was very reasonable, and it closed despite their guy trying to muck it up.

Usually the fewer people involved in the negotiation, the easier it goes.

My realtor kind of alluded to this being the case

Oct 31, 2018, 10:39 AM

That it's the realtor gumming everything up, and I could see that. Not sure why he wouldn't push to get it closed though. Nobody makes any money if this falls apart, kind of stupid, especially over something this simple. My point with the outlets is that it'll cost me a whole lot more to fix than it will him, I'm not sure I can pay $200 or whatever it would cost to change two outlets simply out of principle.

It's a decent offer, but he's getting a lot with it too. We had multiple offers, but his was the only one that wasn't contingent, so we went with it. He lowballed me pretty bad at first, but came up when I didn't budge.

You can only "go to the well" once without

Oct 31, 2018, 12:58 PM

pi$$ing somebody off. So if he started low, his well is verrrry shallow.

Re: My realtor kind of alluded to this being the case

Nov 1, 2018, 9:37 AM [ in reply to My realtor kind of alluded to this being the case ]

Of course the realtor is pushing you to cave in. The other realtor is pushing the buyer to cave as well. Both of these crooks are just looking to close the deal and make those dolla-dolla-bills-yall.

I had a similar thing where the potential buyers brought in an HVAC guy who said my capacitors were bad on the compressor.

I read them out myself and they were fine. Not to mention, the UNIT WAS RUNNING, SO THE CAPACITORS COULDN'T HAVE BEEN "DEAD" LIKE HE CLAIMED.

Buyers insisted that their HVAC guy do the repair work and I foot the bill.

I told my agent to tell them to E.A.D. and I didn't appreciate being scammed.

I offered to replace the capacitors myself ($5), but they wouldn't go along with it.

I ended up giving them a $100 credit on the sale price to seal the deal. In reality, there was a refrigerant leak somewhere on that system that I couldn't find. I got away easy on that one...

Glad that house is long-gone.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Overall those two things are not that big a deal

Oct 31, 2018, 10:30 AM

Also depends on the sale price you agreed to. When we sold our last home, we had a target sale price. BUT, in negotiations before the inspection, we mentally set a price 5 grand higher, under the assumption we'd have a few grand of repairs. We agreed to $5K above what we wanted. Guy came back with just under $3k in repairs. Therefore, not an issue.

But those two things, in the total universe of punchlist items, are VERY simple. I wouldn't sweat it. But I'm not sure what else you have to fix and at what cost.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I had priced it pretty aggressively for a quick sale

Oct 31, 2018, 10:50 AM

This is pretty much the extent of the problems. I agreed to replace breaker cover plates and add splash guards to the gutters, stuff like that. I was willing to move the mulch, but I don't think anyone wanted me to actually do that.

Problem is the logistics in getting a licensed electrician out there with taking off work, dogs, etc. as well as the expense for something so piddly. Just irks me.

Re: I had priced it pretty aggressively for a quick sale

Oct 31, 2018, 10:59 AM

You could just offer to get a written quote and settle into closing. They should be OK with that. Then they can deal with getting it done.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That piddly stuff, I say screw him.***

Oct 31, 2018, 10:31 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is the kind of confirmation I'm looking for.***

Oct 31, 2018, 10:43 AM

Have you seen the houses Aero is looking at?***

Oct 31, 2018, 11:02 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Lungers who often dabble in real estate, I need some input

Oct 31, 2018, 10:56 AM

Wifeof does this. I hear this dumb shat all the time. These are the buyers that an agent loathes.
Sometimes it's coming from the buyer and sometimes it's the inspector and the buyer just goes down the list not knowing any better. Sometimes it could be the buyer's agent, but doubtful on dumb #### b/c they want to close the deal too.

It's time for you to counter some. How much is that home warranty, $350-500?? Tell them you'll have a pro replace the outlets (that loan story sounds like BS, we're not talking about replacing a breaker box or bracing a bulging basement wall, but I digress) and fix that fridge that you've already conceded to but the warranty is gone. Or at the very least tell them the fridge is "as-is" as it's a concession already. Concessions should not be a liability to the giver but the buyer has leverage and will test it.

It's all about how willing you are to lose the deal or make it happen NOW with this buyer. If you're willing to call the bluff, tell your agent to tell them this is your best and final offer on repairs so at least you'll be done with it one way or the other.

It's a game. Win it.

Seems like solid advice, I like it

Oct 31, 2018, 11:05 AM

I really don't understand why someone would play games like this at this stage, but I guess I'm going to play. AND I'M GOING TO WIN IT

I definitely like the idea of pulling the home warranty in exchange for the repairs, probably what I will counter with. I hadn't thought of that, thanks!

This is in the buyer's favor

Oct 31, 2018, 11:14 AM

home warrenty sucks.

Tried using them twice in the past year. Both times all contractors said they WILL NOT work on a house under a home warranty.

I don't think he knows that

Oct 31, 2018, 11:23 AM

I've heard horror stories about them too, but I think this one has a list of companies they have to use for repairs. Now how good those companies are, I couldn't tell you.

I would never spend the money on a home warranty again

Oct 31, 2018, 11:33 AM

next time I buy.

How bad do you want to be done with the place?

Oct 31, 2018, 11:01 AM

Some of the stuff he's probably not nitpicking as much as the lender is, like the electrical stuff.

You could negotiate with him and say "I'm not doing any of this crap, but will drop the price $500" or something like that. It gets you out of having to deal with it. Sometimes the best way to deal with a problem is to money whip it and make it go away.

Eh, I want to be out, but I don't think I'd have a problem

Oct 31, 2018, 11:13 AM

getting another buyer. The house showed well and had a lot of interest. Now we might lose the other house in that case, but I think at this stage in the game we could still make it work with another buyer.

My realtor keeps telling me to not take it personally, and for the most part I haven't. But I'm getting annoyed now.

I get it. But figure in a year, will you even remember

Oct 31, 2018, 11:15 AM

any of it? You'll just still be glad you are out of that house.

Re: Eh, I want to be out, but I don't think I'd have a problem

Oct 31, 2018, 11:17 AM [ in reply to Eh, I want to be out, but I don't think I'd have a problem ]

your agent is right. As soon as you let emotion in, you're gonna make a bad decision. If you do decide to fix all this and get it done, you won't GAF a year from now. You'll be dealing with a whole other round of problems with another house by then. lol

I get what y'all are saying, just feels like it's starting

Oct 31, 2018, 11:28 AM

to add up. Closing costs here, home warranty there, oh another $250 to fix this and that....And they haven't gotten the appraisal yet, so I'm not sure what that'll end up looking like. Kind of feels like if I keep giving an inch, they're going to keep trying to take a mile.

We're down to negotiating over two outlets and an ice maker essentially, in a house than otherwise passed the inspection with flying colors. I think I may offer him two options:

I do the repairs, and he loses the home warranty.

I'll give him $200 to fix the fugging outlets himself.

Good luck on the appraisal!***

Oct 31, 2018, 2:05 PM

I'd do it...

Oct 31, 2018, 11:02 AM

...then dump a few cans of these

into the AC vents.

Re: I'd do it...

Oct 31, 2018, 11:12 AM

I like the cut of your jib, Mr.

Buyers demands have never ticked me of as much as all

Oct 31, 2018, 11:09 AM

the hands that are open from the city, county, state and HOA's when you sell. (Luckily you prob won't have to deal with City and the HOA).

Those folks get HUNDREEDS of dollars for absolutely NOTHING. Stamps, fees, transaction costs..jebus, after the amount of city and county property taxes I have to pay, all that crap should be freebies. Clemson city and Pickens county were the worst one I had ever dealt with.

I lived in that house about 10 months, and was STILL paying stuff on it a year later.

You're never going to see or deal with these people again

Oct 31, 2018, 11:34 AM

As tempting it is to blow up the deal over spite, you'll probably spend more money and likely a lot more time re-listing the house vs. just doing these ridiculous repairs or giving them a little more cash to have all these repairs done themselves.

I had a few tough negotiations buying the house and wanted to walk away and my realtor reminded me about never seeing these people again so why fret over "a small win". Granted she got paid over the deal closing...

Hold your ground but drop your price $100. Guy

Oct 31, 2018, 11:37 AM

must drive a Camry. Bet there’s no paint in his hair.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Even worse, I think it's a Scion.***

Oct 31, 2018, 11:39 AM

Maybe a Kia Soul.***

Oct 31, 2018, 1:02 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If the GFCI thing came from the inspection...

Oct 31, 2018, 12:49 PM

and his lender is a stickler, you may not have a choice buy to get an electrician to do it. Doesn't seem like that would be too expensive. Sometimes electricians can do an inspection for cheaper...meaning you do the work and they sign off on it...but for 2 outlets = 10 minute job...it's probably better just to pay them to do it.

How much does replacing the water line cost?

I feel you on getting annoyed with buyer requests...it's much easier to see it clearly if you're not the one trying to sell your house.

It's $100 per outlet to have someone come out and change

Oct 31, 2018, 1:26 PM

them. That's roughly $150 straight up a hogs ###.

The water line replacement itself wouldn't cost much, it's the fact that I'll have to basically put the fridge on it's side to get to it. It's got a pneumatic looking quick disconnect on it which is kind of weird, so it's not a big deal once you can access it. I just don't want to do it.

Will likely cost you more to relist it....

Oct 31, 2018, 2:16 PM

in the end.

Plus, I would pay that much not to have to keep the house in show-ready condition again.

From the outside observer, sounds like you've gotten emotional and it's keep you from just getting the deal done.

I'm definitely aggravated with it...

Oct 31, 2018, 2:48 PM

Honestly, I feel like I've been pretty patient and reasonable up until now, I'm just kind of at the end of my rope with this buyer. I think slac tiger summarized it best, he's dipped into the well too many times now.

We'll see, I'm going to counter back and see if he agrees. I'm kind of like Obed, I don't think he'll walk over a couple of hundred dollars in repairs, but we'll see.

if the house was built before GFI code requirements,

Oct 31, 2018, 1:01 PM

Tell him to pound sand.

I had an older house once....the deck rail spindles were too far apart, and the garage doors had no reverse sensors if something broke the beam. I pointed out that it wasn’t my obligation to bring the house to current codes, and the request went away. Think about all the things they could ask you to do if the reasoning was not meeting current codes.....new insulation, higher R value windows, more energy efficient HVAC.....it’s a bogus rationale for a request.

The guy is probably already a few hundred in the hole from inspections and lender fees....he’s not gonna walk over $100 in repairs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

one More thing.....if your realtor has half a brain,

Oct 31, 2018, 1:04 PM

She won’t let the deal fall apart over this. If you say no dice, odds are good she’ll offer to pick up the tab for those repairs just to keep the wheels turning.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That is a good point, I think she'll be able to scrounge up

Oct 31, 2018, 1:31 PM

a couple of hundred from the thousands I'm paying her. I think I'll balk at it when I talk to her, and see what she says.

Keep in mind, we're in round 3 of repair request negotiations. When I bought this house, I ask for stuff, they either agreed or disagreed and we moved on. There was no repair counter offers. Talking to a couple of friends, theirs was the same way. I guess expecting a reasonable negotiation is just....unreasonable.

forgot about that

Oct 31, 2018, 2:22 PM [ in reply to one More thing.....if your realtor has half a brain, ]

I know wifeof and other agents have eaten or split the difference of a dispute just to make the close happen.

He doesn't want the house and he doesn't want the...

Nov 1, 2018, 10:12 AM

real estate agent to know that he doesn't want the house. Raise the price $1500 and tell him you'll hire the electrician to change the outlets. If he asked why, consider that you aren't required to give him the answer but simply say, 'I'v had time to reconsider the value of this house.'

You never present yourself as suborn to a prospective customer even if they are aszholes. You say no with a number. Every time he adds something say you'll consider it. Go up on the price. He'll figure it out quick enough.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 57
| visibility 648
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic