Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Louisville trip
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 2,183

Louisville trip

Aug 9, 2017, 5:47 PM

I'm going to Louisville for the first time this year. Can someone tell me the must do/must see things while I'm up there, especially any that need reservations? TIA

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Louisville trip

Aug 9, 2017, 6:28 PM

Churchill Downs is a must...they having racing the Friday before and Sunday after the game. Admission is like $3 just to get in, but of course there are fancier options like dining and what not if you want the first class experience.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 9, 2017, 6:31 PM

Probably depends on how much time you plan on staying. For me, the top things to do are:

1. The Kentucky Derby Museum. You'll get to see the paddock, where they post, and walk into the grandstand (but not on the track itself).

2. The Slugger Museum. No photos allowed, but fun to watch the bats being made and you'll get a mini one as a souvenir. You can do the cages and perhaps a couple of other things in the building without a ticket.

3. The waterfront. Free to do. Just walk and enjoy the river/park on the north end of downtown. There's a pedestrian bridge a little bit east too that you can walk across the river. There's boat tours you can get on if you're into that.

4. If you're a bourbon drinker, tour either Bulleit or the Evan Williams Experience both in or near downtown. Some of the other biggies like Beam are a 30-40 minute drive south. The last time I was there Angel's Envy was putting something in, so I imagine it's up and running by now.

5. There's an underground zipline attaction that I've never done and have no clue whether it's good or bad.

I've never been to the Ali museum. For burgers, hit the Sidebar downtown. For coffee, Quill's is excellent. It's a fun mid-western town that I used to like visiting for long weekends

Aug 9, 2017, 7:47 PM

Thx!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Feast BBQ on E Market St. is an excellent dining spot near

Aug 9, 2017, 6:51 PM

downtown - with a fine bar to boot. Being a SC BBQ snob, I was very impressed.

Galt House is a nice place to visit for bourbon / cocktails - lounge on a pedestrian bridge overlooking the river is pretty cool.

If races are happening at Churchill Downs you should absolutely spend some time there for that.

Be sure and visit a Liquor Barn to stock up on take home bourbon before you vamoose.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Feast BBQ on E Market St. is an excellent dining spot near

Aug 9, 2017, 7:47 PM

Thx

null

In 2015 we did . . .

Aug 9, 2017, 7:11 PM

1.) Churchill Downs
2.) Jim Beam distillery
3.) lunch at Brown Hotel (they created the Kentucky hot brown sandwich).

I would recommend them all

If you are going to Jim Beam

Aug 9, 2017, 8:28 PM

go a few extra miles and go to Maker's Mark distillery. You can have your own label made up (your name and other stuff within reason). Being a proud Poppa, when I went to my son's medical school graduation I had one made up for "Dr. ______ (his name) with out him knowing it. It put a big smile on his face, and he plans on saving it to celebrate either his daughter's wedding (not even born at the time) or graduation from medical school.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A few suggestions;

Aug 9, 2017, 9:29 PM

Louisville Slugger bat factory

Burbon trail

Muhammad Ali Center/Museum

Churchill Downs

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Replies: 8
| visibility 2,183
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic