Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Down The Stretch We Come - It's All About This Team
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1

Nov 16, 2007, 9:33 AM

Nine of the twelve regular season games are in the books and the Tigers stand 8-2 and in control of their ACC Championship fate. The season rounds the "3rd quarter" and heads into the final, and most critical, portion of the slate. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Down The Stretch We Come - It's All About This Team

Nov 16, 2007, 9:40 AM

Nice article. Someone needs to be editing though....last time I checked...8 plus 2 makes 10.

Quick fix ... that's the first post I've ever had deleted...***

Nov 16, 2007, 9:42 AM

Sorry just trying to cover my tracks, lol***

Nov 16, 2007, 9:52 AM

Am I the only one who thinks, because its student-athletes,

Nov 16, 2007, 9:47 AM

that most if not all the criticism SHOULD be on the coaches?

While the players definitely have their fair share of mistakes, its better to not single out sides of hte ball, individual players or lackluster effort and instead push that onto the coaches and their various efforts?

I like that our fans don't question the heart, desire and ability of the players.....we enjoy their accolades. Coaches should and do shield players from the public/internet criticism.

Well there is a difference between being critical of players

Nov 16, 2007, 10:06 AM

mistakes and bashing a player for those mistakes. You can most certainly attribute a loss to what actually happend on the field. If you truly believe that coaching is the reason, then blame it on the coach or coaches. If you know that the players cost the team the game, and are uncomfortable blaming them, then keep your mouth shut about the game being the coaches fault because it is not.

I am not saying that you do any of this. Just choosing to make this statement in that form.

I don't see why you would draw the line there...

Nov 16, 2007, 10:16 AM [ in reply to Am I the only one who thinks, because its student-athletes, ]

of course allow me the caveat of clarifying we're talking about well thought out criticism and not juvenile venting which is so prevalent on web-boards.

It seems like an artificial boundary to me. I've seen people on here say the most vile things about our coaches but somehow think it's alright because 'I've never called out a player'. It's the greater internet f-wad theory:
normal person+anonymity+ audience = complete moron.

They're all representatives of the school we claim to follow... I've never made the distinction between the two because one gets paid.

I don't think most people have a problem with well thought out criticism no matter whom it's directed at: can anyone deny that in the GT game drops by our wide recievers and missed FG's by our kicker really hurt us? How exactly do you blame the coach for that? You can't, you just say they had a bad game and you move on.

I'm not talking vile comments, just general sentiment and

Nov 16, 2007, 11:08 AM

feeling surrounding performance.

But the nature of the beast, and what is created by marketing all designed by Clemson, the ACC and the NCAA, is to draw emotion of the fans into the game. It is done to support programs and schools and because it is, there is always going to have to be some level of criticism.

I like that the balk of criticism is on the coaches, not the players.

I'm 40!! I'm a man!! Come after me!!!***

Nov 17, 2007, 9:15 AM [ in reply to Am I the only one who thinks, because its student-athletes, ]

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

OK, you suck******

Nov 17, 2007, 9:17 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The body works better with a proper nerve supply.

As COS scratches his bald head he ponders..........

Nov 16, 2007, 9:48 AM

8+2=9????????

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is there such a thing as lower math?.....***

Nov 16, 2007, 7:47 PM

Nov 16, 2007, 10:03 AM

Any confidence I have in this team (and yes we do have some class acts playing: James Davis, Harper, Spiller, Taylor, Grisham, Hamlin just to name a few) is outweighed by the lack of faith I have in TB and his staff to get it done. The debacle end of last year will stick with me for a long time. It is on TB and his staff now to prove that they can coach this team to the next level. Otherwise, I say go ahead and can him.

Your dad beat you with a tube sock full of woodscrews

Nov 16, 2007, 10:04 AM

didn't he?

Jeezus man, try and enjoy a good year.

Macin Tiger = thumbs down***

Nov 16, 2007, 10:07 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, he's got an agenda...

Nov 16, 2007, 10:40 AM [ in reply to Your dad beat you with a tube sock full of woodscrews ]

even in the good times, he will be one of those to bash Tommy. The heartbreaking losses could come in the next 2 weeks.. or in 3 years.. but he's gonna continuously bash Bowden regardless of all the factors that go into a game of season.

Sadly, he and a hundred other loudmouths on the board are a factor as well, and probably prevent anywhere from 1- 5 top recruits a year b/c of this foolish fodder. Can't blame coaches for discouraged prospects! I wish these folks would cool it, and get back on here when they are undefeated as a parent in their own lives. Otherwise, I hope they get blamed and blasted personally for their (non-publicly announced) shortcomings.

Do you have proof that negative posts affect recruits?

Nov 16, 2007, 1:02 PM

I hear people say that, but I've never heard of any proof. It doesn't make sense. There are negative things on EVERY team's web forum. If all we have to do to gain recruits is post negative things on other teams' web forums, then that's easy enough. And other teams could do the same to us. There must be dozens of far, far more important criteria to recruits, like the team's success, chances for early playing time, chemistry with the coaches & players, national TV exposure, chances of going to the NFL, academics, campus, stadium, facilities, dorms, cafeteria, tutoring, proximity to home, chicks, etc. etc. But anonymous web forum posts? I doubt it. Anybody who is stupid enough to base their decision on web forum posts is too stupid to play for Clemson.

Even the cool-tempered analyst, Chris Ard (of Rivals/Tiger Illustrated) recently wrote, ?it?s my determination that most of the time it does not affect prospective recruits. Because they see this at Georgia, Auburn, LSU, Tennessee, Florida State, South Carolina, everywhere.?

Nov 16, 2007, 10:08 AM [ in reply to Re: Down The Stretch We Come - It's All About This Team ]

lol you are the king of the idiots

*******DISCLAIMER********* My intent of this post was not to upset the manginas who frequent some of the boards.

I resent that.

Nov 16, 2007, 10:09 AM

you better start giving credit where credit is due

All hail the king. Tigerdon is the KING of idiots!

Nov 16, 2007, 10:18 AM

There, does that make you feel better?

;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Finally, some props.****

Nov 16, 2007, 10:20 AM

And Macin is his prince.***

Nov 16, 2007, 1:59 PM [ in reply to All hail the king. Tigerdon is the KING of idiots! ]

Easy there killer...

Nov 16, 2007, 10:40 AM [ in reply to Re: Down The Stretch We Come - It's All About This Team ]

The above criticism of Bowden is certainly understandable, and to call another fan an idiot on a message board is a bit unfair. Seems like someone on here is trying to offer an opinion.

If you have already forgotten last year's debacle, then you have a mighty short memory. We fell apart when we had the whole shebang for the taking, and whats even worse, we looked like a Gamecock team while doing it. Do I want Bowden to make me look stupid for criticizing him? Sure I do, but he has not won the Division yet. I, for one, hope he makes me look like an idiot, but there's nothing wrong with putting pressure on a coach after 9 years of disappointments and millions of dollars gone. If he wins tomorrow, thats great for him and the program and I'll be glad to shut my mouth. Let's just hope that happens. GO TIGERS!

MacIn, you're an idiot...If you remember 2006's debacle so

Nov 16, 2007, 11:00 AM [ in reply to Re: Down The Stretch We Come - It's All About This Team ]

well, then you should also remember the 2003 final run just as well. How do people such as yourself rectify and explain 2003 when all you want to do is b*tch and whine about 2006 over and over again? Be a fan and cheer hard, w/o the asterick which denotes your pessimistic cynicism!

GO TIGERS!!!!

Well freakin said. A HUGE AMEN from the majority ! ! !***

Nov 16, 2007, 2:01 PM

I'd like to say I feel sorry for you.

Nov 16, 2007, 1:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Down The Stretch We Come - It's All About This Team ]

But I guess you've gotten what you deserve.

Well,that really had nothing to do with what the article was

Nov 16, 2007, 1:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Down The Stretch We Come - It's All About This Team ]

about.macinTiger showing his/her TRUE colors=black and garnet ?

For the love of all things Clemson, you coot, WE KNOW HOW

Nov 16, 2007, 1:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Down The Stretch We Come - It's All About This Team ]

YOU FEEL !

WE KNOW BECAUSE YOU HAVE TOLD US TENS OF TIMES.

GO AWAY !

SHUT UP AND GET BEHIND THIS TEAM !

OR GO TO THE BACK OF THE COOT LINE, BECAUSE THEY ARE IN DESPERATE NEED OF MORE "FANS" LIKE YOU.

Mac: So many posts,so little intelligence so much ignorance

Nov 16, 2007, 5:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Down The Stretch We Come - It's All About This Team ]

Do you even realize what you're posting, honestly ?

Or are you so arrogant and all-powerful, and such a huge guardian of CU and the football program that you feel you can say what you want because you know something others don't ?

Even if we lose, you won't be vindicated. You don't get it ... it's about attitude...yours needs to improve.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 16, 2007, 7:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Down The Stretch We Come - It's All About This Team ]

I can't share the dissent that's been posted in reply to your post. I totally understand where you are coming from. I respect that. It IS time to take it to the next level. That is where Clemson SHOULD be.

And another thing (Scott), the freaking HC is THE single biggest difference-maker on any team in College Football. How many GD effing examples of this are riddled throughout college football history? About 10 million?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

Nov 16, 2007, 10:50 AM

Is dissing last years team leadership really the best approach to this week either?

Nov 16, 2007, 10:52 AM

OK, so you make some what of a good point... I can agree coach Bowden can recruit. I can agree that he can get his players to graduate. I can agree that he can be a man of God. But what I cannot agree on is how he allows some coaching calls to be made. I'm sorry but this team has talent and if you don't make the right play calls on the sidelines "FAILURE"... We are very fortunate to be in this position, but no it's not all about the team. I wish people who have this mind set about changing after we started winning would get off the band wagon. I still say he should go! Maybe put him coaching with Dabo, and let TB recruit, but not a head coach. Sure someone will have something to say about this.

Nov 16, 2007, 11:10 AM

I'm so making a t-shirt this weekend that says... In Davis I Trust"

When talent is close, that's when coaching matters most******

Nov 16, 2007, 11:52 AM

Re: When talent is close, that's when coaching matters most*

Nov 16, 2007, 12:53 PM

Football manipulates the emotions of a fan. We shout fanatically when we're up and we b--ch & moan when we're down. That is natural. However, no action should ever be taken off emotion, personally or otherwise. It spells disaster. These post often times do nothing more than display emotion. It's a great avenue for it, no matter how ridiculous the opinions are. Now to think TDP, the University, or anyone else is going to give credence to these assaults are just ludicrous. I hope parents and coaches are smart enough to pass this on to players and future players. Emotions want us to fire coaches, and emotions lead us to call those people idiots. What is the difference? One thing for sure, we only represent ourselves and not the 85,000 people that will be in those stands tomorrow night (me included), nor the thousands watching at home. Have emotions. They're good to have. Be careful acting upon them. GO TIGERS!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Louisville kept leader Brohm, lost Petrino, & quickly sank..

Nov 16, 2007, 12:45 PM

... into oblivion. Leadership is needed both at the coaching level and the player level. But of the two, coaching is, by far, the bigger factor. Great coaches can recruit and develop leadership among the players. There are countless examples of great head coaches joining a program and quickly bringing success. And there are countless examples of great head coaches leaving a program and causing an instant collapse-- even though the team leaders were all still in place. Utah went from top 15 to zero when Meyer left for Florida. And then Florida won a national championship. Look at impact Spurrier had on Duke, Florida, & SoCar. Look at the instant collapse of Louisville when Petrino left, even though they kept their team leader and 1st-round NFL draft pick QB, Brian Brohm. The list goes on and on and on.

Nov 16, 2007, 1:46 PM

All,

I think it shows a lot about your character when you start a sentence...."I know Bowden has more kids graduating; and I know he has really cleaned up the program; and I know he has recruited well; and I know he claims to be a Christian and has a Christian influence on his team and coaches...BUT"
That "BUT" is the magic conjunctive phrase. In other words, I know he's done all these things which in the grand scheme of life should be MORE IMPORTANT THAN FOOTBALL "but" he doesn't win enough games for me. Or his players aren't "tough enough" for me....

Let's get a perspective. If we all cared about CU and our real PURPOSE for being here, the things which Bowden has done are all much more important than football.

There are none among you who are bigger fans than me and my family. "BUT" we should all be ashamed of ourselves for crashing on Tommy Bowden for doing the things that have a true impact on society and eternity....Especially over a Football game!!!!!

I hope the Lord continues to bless Tommy and his family with wins for Clemson. I hope Tommy continues to do his job the right way and for the right reasons. I hope we win every remaining game. "BUT" most importantly, I hope we all step back from the game long enough to realize what things in life (and after) are truly important.

Go watch "Facing the Giants".

And it's "In God we trust" NOT "in Davis we trust!!!

Go Tigers

Nov 16, 2007, 3:10 PM

AMEN MY BROTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NUFF SAID!

Nov 16, 2007, 3:19 PM

Amen to you too, my brother!!!! I guess the Lord put that on our hearts at the same time.

If you haven't seen "Facing the Giants" go and watch it TONIGHT!!!! It was one of the movies watched by the team during their spiritual "two a days" this summer. It will put everything in perspective for you (and others).

It has class c (amatuer) actors. But the message surpasses their lack of acting skills.

Go Tigers.........

Class of 1982 (must have been a good group at CU then)

Nov 16, 2007, 4:48 PM

His timing is impecable....and sharing Him is my passion. And I have seen the movie....and an awesome messege indeed. And you know, I think this group that is there now are going to be special as well (secret- I have one daughter there now and hopefully one more next year). GO Tigers!!!!!!!!!

I agree...

Nov 16, 2007, 3:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Down The Stretch We Come - It's All About This Team ]

Good post!

"I hope the Lord continues to bless Tommy and his family with wins for Clemson." Well said...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We all want a clean program AND a championship program.

Nov 16, 2007, 8:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Down The Stretch We Come - It's All About This Team ]

I don't understand why people act like Clemson has to choose between Bowden and Satan. Most college football coaches are decent guys who believe in God, understand what's really important in life, and who do their best to instill those values in the kids that they coach. The best of those coaches also win championships. It's not a "BUT". It's an "AND". Hopefully Tommy will lead Clemson to many years of ANDs starting with this year. Otherwise I'd like to see Clemson hire a coach who can.

Go Tigers! Pass defense!

Nov 16, 2007, 2:02 PM

Knowing JD has a solid faith in JC, I am sure he would defer your trust to "In God We Trust", nice thought though. I would hope that all would understand exactly what that means and how it feels, I know JD does, otherwise he would have never have been able to "take the team on His shoulders". JD- if by some remote chance you read these posts- thank you (and some of your teammates- CJ, Cullen, Tyler to name a few)for keeping this one fan's hope up that there are good things happening in this broken world that is and will continue to glorify our Lord! .......and Scott you were right also that it is not about CTB as I am sure he would also deflect all the credit away from himself. And for me, I hate losing but it is about WAY MORE than the "Ws". I am so proud to be associated with Clemson University and some of its "high profile folks" who aren't afraid to share their faith openly in this world that so beats it down. Go Tigers.
Class of 1980

Nov 16, 2007, 10:02 PM

Amen..i've loved reading the past few responses...I liked Facing the Giants, the acting was terrible but the message was pretty awesome...and I hope this group here now is pretty special solafide...GO TIGERS! BEAT BC!

Class of 09

Replies: 43
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic