Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Venables excited by defensive progress
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 52
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Venables excited by defensive progress

Oct 7, 2012, 10:08 AM

Venables excited by defensive progress

Clemson’s defensive coordinator Brent Venables got his first taste of Paul Johnson’s option offense Saturday in No. 15 Clemson’s 47-31 win over the Yellow Jackets. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Venables excited by defensive progress

Oct 7, 2012, 10:24 AM

Wait till he hears the crowd for usc game.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well the Triple Option is one of the hardest to Defend also.***

Oct 7, 2012, 9:46 PM

Tell that to MTSU and Va Tech and Miami

Oct 7, 2012, 10:00 PM

MTSU especially didn't seem to have a problem with stopping it. Last year othe teams stopped, but we didn't.

At some point, it is enough of the excuses.

We need to give VB a year to get his system in place and perhaps recruit some youngsters. But come on D! Do you not have any since of pride and responsibility to really lay it on the line and prepare and work and learn?

These years are the ones you will look back on and you want them to be with fondness amd pride, not shame!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We are glad to have you here BV

Oct 7, 2012, 10:26 AM

You are making a difference and it is showing. It is not easy to take over a different set of players and mold them into your system. Your in game adjustments are working and it shows you have a great mind for the game.

That said, please dont buy into the mantra the critics keep using that this is a 'young' D. At this point in the season, that is out the window. The players need to do their job or sit. Simple as that now. They have had plenty of leeway. Time for accountability to start being the rule of thumb.

Oct 7, 2012, 10:34 AM

I am certainly glad Clemson won. Victory was in doubt up to the fourth qtr. However, I don't call 483 offensive yards from GT progress. Again the offense carried the day.

Second half was a much improved D....

Oct 7, 2012, 10:39 AM

I think BV is correct, something clicked for the D in the 2nd half of this game. And I think something clicked for BV too on personnel as well. :)

Really? Well i guess progress is now measured in

Oct 7, 2012, 10:46 AM

"Well, we only gave up 483 yds this week instead of 670." I think the headline should read "Once again, despite giving up 1/3 of a mile in yardage, Chad and crew brought us to victory."

whats your definition of progress?

Oct 7, 2012, 10:56 AM

improvement IS progress to me, and with your example, 483 is improvement than 670.

Yes, you have a point. 200 yds better is improvement.But

Oct 7, 2012, 11:10 AM

lets consider our starting point. Bottom line. The defense is not going to improve much past this point. I just hope BV is not telling these guys they did a great job b/c they didnt. An F to a D is improvement, but it still sucks.

A good point.***

Oct 7, 2012, 11:13 AM

Re: Yes, you have a point. 200 yds better is improvement.But

Oct 7, 2012, 1:18 PM [ in reply to Yes, you have a point. 200 yds better is improvement.But ]

Bottom line. The defense is improving every game, I think they will be much better by the end of the season. One of GTs TD came over an All-ACC guard (UZZI) man handling a true freshman DL (Reader). Reader is going to improve every game and by the time he is a senior he might be an All-ACC DL!

We gave up 21 points in the first half and 10 in the 2nd.

Oct 7, 2012, 11:03 AM [ in reply to Really? Well i guess progress is now measured in ]

That is improvement. Unless we're behind late and have to get the ball back, the only thing that matters is whether or nor they score.

8* we got 2 of them back :)***

Oct 7, 2012, 12:33 PM

Re: Really? Well i guess progress is now measured in

Oct 7, 2012, 1:15 PM [ in reply to Really? Well i guess progress is now measured in ]

With our O and D we must measure the D by the number of stops not by yardage given up, measure them by the points given up per opponents offensive possession.

I was encouraged by 2 stops on 4th and short, something I had not seen from our D against anyone seels likein years and even less against GT! The thing is that in this game yards do not matter unless they change the points on the score board.
The Tiger D is doing well on 3rd down stops and 4th down stops.

Oct 7, 2012, 10:52 AM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Venables excited by defensive progress ]

I have to reluctantly agree. A few outstanding plays, but overall I didn't see a lot of progress---against a mediocre Tech team. Also agree that the "young" is out the window at this point.

Oct 7, 2012, 11:01 AM

Up until now, we have not been making those big plays. That is progress. Also, we didn't see GT moving the ball on us in the second half like they were in the first (except for the Meeks debacle) - so adjustments are working.

Albeit, small progress, it is still progress. I will take it!

I'm normally a glass half full guy, but...

Oct 7, 2012, 11:05 AM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Venables excited by defensive progress ]

I saw some of the worst tackling I have ever seen at Clemson by our DBs. Jonathan Meeks comes to mind. What happened to wrapping up around the waist instead of trying to grab shoulder pads? Ugh.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Meeks does not an entire defense make....

Oct 7, 2012, 11:11 AM

I try to look past the obvious individual screw up and focus on the bigger picture. I'm assuming the lesson of Meeks will be learned finally and we will move on with a freshman in his place now. Can't be any worse.

What progress? If GT doesn't fumble at our 11 in 4th quarter

Oct 7, 2012, 11:05 AM

, would we have won?

Get it together on D the next two weeks and even more tackling drills.

Go Tigers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're a idiot

Oct 7, 2012, 11:26 AM

you're going to judge this year's progress on one play? We definitely have a long way to go, but we've improved since game one. We also just beat GT which has been a problem for its lately.

I agree with BV

Oct 7, 2012, 11:37 AM

For the second straight week, opposition was limited to 10 points in the second half. The biggest difference against GT was the defense made plays -- fumble recovery, safety, blocked field goal.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You're a idiot

Oct 7, 2012, 11:43 AM [ in reply to You're a idiot ]

Oh heavens yes! We just defeated the national power that was routed by Middle Tennessee State in its last game. Break out the champagne. I hate to say it, but just wait. It is what it is. Oh, and wasn't FSU just beaten by a very average N.C. State team? But wait, wasn't FSU unbeatable?? That's why we lost to them. Remember? At least that was the spin at the time.

Heard the same things about Vandy and KY

Oct 7, 2012, 12:08 PM

Miss St. sure made that Kentucky game look easy

Clemson

Re: You're a idiot

Oct 7, 2012, 3:23 PM [ in reply to Re: You're a idiot ]

It is completely ridiculous to try to make comparisons between games and teams the way you did. The games are played under different conditions and at different venues, like Clemson played at FSU and FSU played at NCS. The crowds can make a huge difference and it is well known that the LV odds are adjusted by 3 to 7 points for the home team. There are also thousands of unknowns that can affect a game, like hurt players, players simply having a bad day, and on and on. EJ Manuel played like a freshman at NCS for instance. Who knows why but he did. On top of that, NCS defense played lights out, like they did against us last year.
Although I think Clemson's D still needs vast improvement, the difference in the way they played against GT versus the way they played at FSU is like night and day. They are vastly improved over that debacle down in Tallahassee.
Finally, to all of you complaining about all the yards given up against Tech, they are the number 3 rushing team in the country and are averaging 393 yards rushing per game. Try to keep things in perspective. I am still trying to figure out whose fans a lot of you are because you sure don't sound like Clemson fans!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL, no unlike you, I'm not judging it on a few plays.

Oct 7, 2012, 11:48 AM [ in reply to You're a idiot ]

GT embarrassed our D over and over yesterday in each quarter.

Tip of the cap to the several who made big plays, but no progress yesterday...on to VT game.

Duke in Durham will move through us like a knife through butter if we don't improve In 4 weeks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kind of agree with you, but there has been improvement

Oct 7, 2012, 1:30 PM

But we also allowed a much weaker GT team to hang around for almost 4 quarters. It was not a fun game to watch for me.

And all these remaining teams will bring their A game against us, like most years.

Thank you! I was thinking the same thing.

Oct 7, 2012, 11:31 AM [ in reply to What progress? If GT doesn't fumble at our 11 in 4th quarter ]

How can you cite the 'progress' of the defense in the same article that show's GT racking up 330+ yards rushing on 46 carries?!

Re: Thank you! I was thinking the same thing.

Oct 7, 2012, 11:47 AM

I guess you drink the cool aid, and invent a new definition for the word "progress."

No joke. And apparently the rest of the country is equally

Oct 7, 2012, 12:24 PM

impressed with our 'progress'...hence us dropping a spot in the AP.

Re: Thank you! I was thinking the same thing.

Oct 7, 2012, 3:26 PM [ in reply to Thank you! I was thinking the same thing. ]

Easy, it's way less than they average per game, 393 yards rushing per game, number 3 in the country. Try to keep things in perspective!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree. That's sucha stretch.

Oct 7, 2012, 5:32 PM [ in reply to Thank you! I was thinking the same thing. ]

Our D is pretty darn bad. I did seee a touch of progress, but just a touch. It's better than getting worse, but hardly something to be excited about.

Re: What progress? If GT doesn't fumble at our 11 in 4th quarter

Oct 7, 2012, 11:44 AM [ in reply to What progress? If GT doesn't fumble at our 11 in 4th quarter ]

If UNC didn't fumble late in our game in '81, we would not have been Nat champs but like yesterday's game they did.

GT's fumble wasn't forced.***

Oct 7, 2012, 11:49 AM

Wasn't that fumble on a 4th down??

Oct 7, 2012, 11:52 AM [ in reply to What progress? If GT doesn't fumble at our 11 in 4th quarter ]

They'd have been stopped regardless

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yea, because they fumbled. If they don't botch snap, they

Oct 7, 2012, 11:56 AM

probably get 1st down against our awful D.

Maybe not but no progress yet. Maybe in two weeks.

While I was only watching on tv, I don't think

Oct 7, 2012, 12:06 PM

he'd have made the first going in the direction he was heading regardless of the fumble. The Tigers had the line jammed up pretty darn good

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i agree.our d got torched yesterday..

Oct 7, 2012, 2:41 PM [ in reply to What progress? If GT doesn't fumble at our 11 in 4th quarter ]

two g tech mistakes.the botched kick return to pin them deep.and the fumbled snap.

I think the problems are not as widespread I used to think.

Oct 7, 2012, 7:28 PM [ in reply to What progress? If GT doesn't fumble at our 11 in 4th quarter ]

I posted this earlier which explains.

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=12900719

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2012, 11:47 AM

Why not give Robert Smith a shot?

Oct 7, 2012, 1:45 PM

Please dont stop working on this anyone we play could run some option on us .

I think someone forgot the pitch man several times .

One defender needs to go after the pitch man , not wait for him to cross the line and get to full speed.

I'm pleased, but no where near "excited"

Oct 7, 2012, 1:34 PM

There are more formidable opponents out there than who we've faced so far. We have to measure ourselves against THEM if we want to be bigtime. Love these wins but they feel a little hollow knowing we're going to be looking "up" for a while longer.

Lots of strong opinions here based on inconclusive resuts.***

Oct 7, 2012, 1:37 PM

Oct 7, 2012, 2:19 PM

I am happy with the progress. Tackling is still an issue, but overall I see little improvements each game. All I can really ask for is that they get a little better each week. Just for the record I am not saying we have a great (or even good) defense yet. I am saying we have an improving defense. GO TIGERS!!!

Oct 7, 2012, 4:18 PM

Still say that's 483 yds of progress. I continue to see poor tackling and chuck plays with missing assignments.

Rushing defense 102

Overall defense. 96

This defense has a long way to go. Plenty of room for big steps of improvement.

Does anyone here think this defense could keep up with South Carolina's offense? Try to answer honestly.

Oct 7, 2012, 6:03 PM

I for one saw improvement. Sure GT botched the return attempt but how many of you just knew GT was going to bust a big play and at least get out of the shadow of their own end zone if not take it 98 yards for a tying TD? The fact our D manned up and HAMMERED them on that posession is improvement in my book because I sure didn't take it for granted that we would make that stop. Kudos to BV and the defense. Keep up the hard work and it will pay dividends.

Amen brotha!***

Oct 7, 2012, 6:13 PM

I said to my buddy "Now we need to

Oct 8, 2012, 7:48 AM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Venables excited by defensive progress ]

just *not* give up a forty-yard play." and went back to screaming, Almost hurt myself when we got the safety. I *love* a safety. Would have liked to get the 6/7 points on the INT the previous play--would have been like getting 6/7 points instead of two for a safety.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I said to my buddy "Now we need to

Oct 8, 2012, 11:43 AM

It was definitely a dominant defensive stand. Reminded me of the way defense at Clemson should be played.

Oct 7, 2012, 6:29 PM

It looked to me on the pitch plays where GT made chunk yards, our defense initially positioned well, but instead of the assigned player running to the pitch man before the pitch, he would wait until the ball was pitched and then go. By then it was too late and the runner would turn the ball upfield for big yards.
The safeties played horridly IMO.

Oct 7, 2012, 10:44 PM

give them credit for one half of pretty good defense; however, one half does not a defense make. coaches are not driving them hard enough. who's nasty on defense? no one can play good defense without being nasty! keep it simple and put in the 2's and 3's when the job isn't being done with emphasis. teach them to shed blocks! excellent job vs the cut blocks. corner support necessary vs the option. Clemson has the reputation for being soft on defense; haven't done enough to dispell this. do you want to be a championship defense or are you satisfied with riding the coat tails of the offense. remember it is difficult to win championships without a stout defense. get with it, guys. also, i really think the coordinator compromises himself by not being in the box upstairs. little can be seen on the sidelines;defense is a game of angles which can only be seen from above. looking into their eyes isn't coaching them.

Im sickinned by our lack of progress under Venables

Oct 8, 2012, 9:08 AM

I have seem some pretty bad defensive coordinators in my many years as a fan but I've never seen the defense this bad and that goes back to when I first started attending games as a chap in 1977.

On Venables behalf

Oct 8, 2012, 9:12 AM

At least he was honest with us before the season started on what we had on that side of the ball.

Replies: 52
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic