Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
"Lost the most important game of the year" ??
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

"Lost the most important game of the year" ??

Nov 27, 2012, 10:20 AM

I've seen a few people on here posting comments similar to that. As a "coot" fan, permit me to say that if you don't get out of that mentality, your program will not get better. But I don't blame you--I'd blame your coach for what he's not doing.

Years ago when Spurrier came aboard, the first thing he did was remove "Beat Clemson" signs all over the locker room. Why would he do such a thing!? I mean seriously, Clemson is THE game of the year? And why not post motivation to win that game? Because Spurrier saw a team and a fan base focused on the wrong thing. He immediately said an SEC championship is what you should aim for, not a non-conference win.

Slowly that mentality has been sinking in to a rabid fan base. Beating Clemson is always nice, but winning the SEC championship is significantly better. And until SC does that, there will always be a hunger to want more than beating their rival.

It's just my opinion, but I think your team is in need of a similar transformation that Spurrier started to the Gamecocks years ago. Quit focusing on a rivalry game for the entire year. Quit making the rival THE game of the year. If you don't win your conference, aim to get the absolute best bowl possible and call THAT the important game of the year.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "Lost the most important game of the year" ??

Nov 27, 2012, 10:23 AM

To clarify "I blame your coach for what he is not doing", I saw a game where a camera crew went through the Clemson locker room and I saw a ton of "Beat Carolina" or similar signs. Not taking those down is to what I'm referring.

we were talking about FSU***

Nov 27, 2012, 10:23 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: we were talking about FSU***

Nov 27, 2012, 10:24 AM

maybe you were referring to FSU (good mentality, which you've got the right idea), but many others are referring to the Clemson/SC game.

Yeah, well we have won our conference before. Many times

Nov 27, 2012, 10:24 AM

y'all have your goals, we have ours. Beating Carolina will always be a goal of ours. You are kidding yourself if you don't think Spurrier doesn't put emphasis on this game. Why do you think you played Wofford last week and Clowney didn't play. Why do you think Thompson comes from no where sharp as a tack knowing our secondary sucks. Spurrier can say what he wants to the fans, but he knows this game is big for recruiting and his job security.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

Re: Yeah, well we have won our conference before. Many times

Nov 27, 2012, 10:26 AM

I think you're misinterpreting my point. I'm not saying winning the rivalry game is not a goal for SC. It's not "the most important game" any more, as it was before his arrival and how it seems from many (not all) on this board.

I think Dabo has said all year long that the most important

Nov 27, 2012, 10:32 AM

game on our schedule is the next one. That's the mentality he is instilling. Fans are fans and the Carolina game will always be important to them as well as players from within the state. No getting around that. Dabo knows that too. Spurrier was just trying to reset the carolina's goals a little higher than just winning a non-conference rivalry. We have already been there for years. We expect to win our conference and compete for a NC or at least contend for a BCS bowl on a consistent basis.

^^Exactly^^***

Nov 27, 2012, 11:39 AM

Re: Yeah, well we have won our conference before. Many times

Nov 27, 2012, 11:43 AM [ in reply to Yeah, well we have won our conference before. Many times ]

Obviously, this game is NOT important for Dabo's job security, and we have out-recruited SC for the past 4 out of five years. You have any more brilliant theories?

Pleeeeze....one 4 game win streak in 50 years and you are

Nov 27, 2012, 10:36 AM

going to tell us how to improve our program???? We don't care what Spurrier did, does, or will do and we certainly don't care what some idiotic dirtpecker has to say about improving our program. Have a nice day.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

100% agree

Nov 27, 2012, 10:37 AM

I actually think this is the what Swinney has been doing.

As both of our teams get better on a national scale, our rivalry game is more important from a win/loss standpoint than a rivalry standpoint. Coming into Sat, there were only 3 losses between the two teams and obviously one team has to tack on one more to the loss column.

When you look at the the ol' ball sac running his mouth all year long, I think thats probably in an effort to try and make us think about this game more than we should. Is it nice to beat your rival, of course, but there is a bigger picture.

WRONG.........

Nov 27, 2012, 10:52 AM

Spurrier may have removed the signs and spoke the words of it not being important, BUT.......after losing 3 of 4 I think he quickly "turned it back on"......he puts MUCH more emphasis on beating Clemson than he did when he first got to SCar...........Clemson coaches don't put emphasis on it AT ALL

as long as Spurrier continues to dominate Clemson he's as safe as he can be.......he doesn't have to sniff the conference title as long as he beats SCar...........I see no uproar b/c he's not winning the SEC

and to the "most important game" comment

we were "on the verge" of going 11-1 best record in 30 years, going to the sugar bowl, we were AT HOME, it was AT NIGHT, we were playing against your 2nd String QB AND RB...........all we had to do was beat South Carolina

we were EMBARASSED in the most important game in 30 years.......and we had no hopes of winning the division or conference at the time.

Re: "Lost the most important game of the year" ??

Nov 27, 2012, 10:56 AM

Well you see its like this... we already have the win your conference and win a national championship mentality...it has been a reality for us...so you can understand the cultural difference since you all never have anything to play for...unless its on your PS3 or Xbox. We wouldnt take any lead from a school with a losing record and that we have owned for the better part of 100 years...

You guys

Nov 27, 2012, 11:04 AM

Missed the real point! Since USuCk just started playing football back in.....hmmmm what was it? Oh yeah, 2009! The coots have become the gods of college football. You know they have the arrogance of Alabama but the trophy case of Vanderbilt!!! No disrespect to Vandy but we really need to start respecting USuCk and bowing to the now mighty college football god #####!!! We just have too!

IMO, most important game of the year was FSU***

Nov 27, 2012, 11:04 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No that was your team's mentality.

Nov 27, 2012, 11:07 AM

We have always focused on winning our conference. Last year was prime example. We won our side and were flat the last two games.

Also, I'm not sure many of the players (at least ours) get into the rivalry as much as the fans.

opposite, its more important for USuCk then Clemson because

Nov 27, 2012, 11:11 AM

they have a huge inferiority complex. Academics suck, the town sucks, and they overall rivalry record sucks.

So Clemson wants to win conference titles and national titles but USuCk wants to beat Clemson.

Re: opposite, its more important for USuCk then Clemson because

Nov 27, 2012, 11:54 AM

I haven't laughed so hard after reading so many of these ridiculous comments. I forgot the fan base I was talking to is incapable of rational thinking and I'm wasting my time. Enjoy your bowl game, fellas.

and don't come back!***

Nov 27, 2012, 5:21 PM

Nov 27, 2012, 12:52 PM [ in reply to opposite, its more important for USuCk then Clemson because ]

Yeah, we don't have a president who admitted to manipulating the "Top 20 U's" poll at every turn.

Columbia sucks? Clemson does have a nice, small-town charm. I like it...until I don't. Clemson is Clemson, it isn't Greenville or Spartanburg. I can find dozens of complaints about Columbia. But I like the fact that I can always get in or out of town quickly, and not find myself backed up on 2-lane roads for 3 hours.

Nov 27, 2012, 6:20 PM

Evidently you've never been going through "malfunction junction around 5:00 PM !!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 27, 2012, 6:52 PM [ in reply to Re: opposite, its more important for USuCk then Clemson because ]

Dude, the majority of that state is poo-dunk. Columbia proper is poo-dunk, just go to the Columbiana Mall. Maybe I'm biased because I'm from Atlanta, but Columbia is a hot mess.

LOL, we already don't focus on this game...

Nov 27, 2012, 12:41 PM

except the week before (questionable) and the week after.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Grats on your SEC champ. We will work on an ACC champ...wait***

Nov 27, 2012, 7:30 PM

LOL

Nov 27, 2012, 7:38 PM

What a moron.

You finally go on a win streak after 40 years and you think you can tell us what our goals should be? Did you forget we won our conference last year and you haven't won one since 1969?

Re: LOL

Nov 27, 2012, 8:13 PM

Just further proves the SEC > ACC point. Even South Carolina can win the ACC LOL.

Your Athletically Challenged Conference championship means nothing to us. I'm still pissed we have that eyesore in our stadium.

I'd rather win 10 in the SEC than win the ACC title and lose by 40 to WVU.

I do agree that too much focus on it and it always turns

Nov 27, 2012, 8:17 PM

to disaster. Like when Holtz got beat 63-17 the next season all he cared about was revenge and talked about he has never wanted to win a game more than the Clemson game that year. It put a ton of pressure on the Gamecocks and caused the players to do something unruly by challenging us at the Hill that year and the game was all Clemson after that from the opening kickoff until the end.

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic