Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Lost our best two basketball Coaches to Auburn & Texas, But
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1,766

Lost our best two basketball Coaches to Auburn & Texas, But

Dec 21, 2013, 9:45 PM

never have fully recovered even though had three really nice & competitive coaches since, but just never had enough talent or luck to pull it off..especially with UNC at CH.

GoTiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Lost our best two basketball Coaches to Auburn & Texas, But

Dec 22, 2013, 12:14 AM

Rick IMO was the best ! Go Tigers

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think I"d have rated Bill Foster ahead of one

Dec 22, 2013, 1:39 AM

of those two.

Coach Brownell has not disappointed me and now it looks like the one drawback he was dealing with--recruiting major talent upgrade--is finally starting to come around. I just have a feeling Brownell's gonna wind up being the best coach Clemson's had---particularly if he remains with the program for a while. Any success by this staff will have schools with a stronger basketball history looking to filch our folks away.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what has barnes done at texas

Dec 22, 2013, 8:32 AM

with the budget and backing they have? He just used us as a stepping stone, got out of dodge fast, and has pretty much languished in mediocrity at a big time school

13 straight NCAA's and a Final Four

Dec 22, 2013, 8:36 AM

would hardly say he's been languishing

Barnes was gone once he figured Clemson couldn't draw...

Dec 22, 2013, 8:51 AM

...the type of talent to challenge UNC and Duke (without a little Tates Locke-type help).

He moved on, which I never faulted him for. His sin was disparaging us in the process.

I place Bill Foster in the top coaches, and he was able to create perhaps the best team in the true sense of the word at Clemson ... the Elite 8 run with Billy Williams, Bobby Conrad and crew was a masterful job.

Brownell, to me is a solid coach in a tough job. I have confidence that what he is trying to do will work at Clemson ... and may be the best hope for success here.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Barnes was gone once he figured Clemson couldn't draw...

Dec 22, 2013, 10:24 AM

I think Brownell took the job with the understanding it was a long process to build the program, and the administration has agreed to give him the time. Clemson isn't a school that should be firing coaches every 5 years. You're options are either to go the Purnell route with a scheme that will win enough games to get into the tourney but never make any noise, which is a short term plan, or to go long term and let a true basketball coach and player developer (Brownell) build the program.

If the fans and administration give him time, then I believe Brownell will build a program we can be proud of. It will be in the years down the line, that we look back and realize that he's brought us to the best basketball program ever at Clemson, with talent and sustainable success.

well......them's some....

Dec 22, 2013, 10:24 AM

Re: Lost our best two basketball Coaches to Auburn & Texas, But

Dec 22, 2013, 11:13 AM

I think our two best coaches looked into a crystal ball,and decided noway,no how were they ever going to compete against the Tarholes,and Dookies so they left.
I say if they weren't up to the challange,then good riddance.
In regards to our next three coaches,Shyatt was considered a good X and O man ,but not necessarily a good recruiter.
Purnell was neither.Sure he got us to the big dance,but his run and gun style is not even working at DePaul.
IMO,Brad is the best of the three,but he does need another year ,maybe two.
Seriously,he inherited a bad "basketball team".Sure we had athletes,guys who could run up and down the court,but on most occassions couldn't hit the Titanic with the iceberg.They weren't basketball players.
True you need talent,but you also have to get a little bit lucky from time to time.
At some point that streak has to end in Chapel Hill.When it does,I hope it's because of talent,and not luck.

Forgot about Bill Foster & Bobby Roberts. Was Frank Howard a

Dec 22, 2013, 11:21 AM

basketball HC?...saying he coached about every other sport in the early days! Haaa.

GoTiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 1,766
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic