Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I admit that as I get older
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 3,200

I admit that as I get older

Jun 21, 2016, 2:42 PM

I become more confused but I have yet to figure out where this 'great' defense comes from. The Tigers gave up over 130 points in the last four games and that ain't great defense! I expect the 2016 team to be just as good if not better. The offense.with the return of Williams will be considerably better. Am I that wrong to believe that this is a championship caliber team. FSU should be the only stumbling block

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are not wrong. I'm a believer and an orange kool-aid

Jun 21, 2016, 2:57 PM

drinker. But, if you look at our schedule, and see how good our offense is and that it should actually be better this year, we're looking pretty good. Honestly, our defense just slowing or making a couple of big stops per game should be all we need for most games. However, FSU, Auburn, and the bowl game(s) hopefully will need a good defense. And, ours should be like last year in that it should improve each week. We have a lot of youth, but by the time we play these big games, most of our defenders should be seasoned. The only issue is that to win 14 to 15 straight is a lot to ask for. We, as any team, are only a few key injuries or some bad luck away from making it difficult to keep that streak alive. That being said, most of us thought this year would be our year, and I still think we have as good of a shot now as we have since 1981. Go Tigers! So glad I'm going to the Auburn game!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Without question

Jun 21, 2016, 3:01 PM

There will have to be luck involved to win 14 games again but the talent is in place

Agreed******

Jun 21, 2016, 3:03 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't believe in "luck"...

Jun 21, 2016, 3:20 PM [ in reply to Without question ]

..Arnold Palmer once stated "It's a funny thing, the more I practice, the luckier I get".

Great teams create their own "luck".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hopefully this helps...

Jun 21, 2016, 3:12 PM

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22

We were actually pretty good. Let's hope it continues.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Looks really good - except for Scoring Defense at 24th***

Jun 21, 2016, 3:45 PM

Only 23 were better than us in that category...

Jun 21, 2016, 3:54 PM

while 104 were worse. I'd say that's not too bad. Plus the competition gets stiffer as you play in your championship game and advance in the playoffs.

I mean, it could have been better, but 24 isn't bad.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

might wanna warsh your hands after you're done...

Jun 21, 2016, 3:58 PM

shining that turd, guy.

cleanliness and all...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^ Found Kevin Steele's scok.***

Jun 21, 2016, 4:09 PM

We'll get it fixed.....***

Jun 21, 2016, 4:14 PM

sure, make jokes funny-guy, but it's becoming pandemic...

Jun 21, 2016, 4:26 PM [ in reply to ^ Found Kevin Steele's scok.*** ]

around these parts where clemson can pay millions to a defensive coordinator and his staff, yet return only 24th in the most important defensive stat or perhaps much mo worse, have men's varsity basketball not enjoy a well-deserved dip in the pool that is march madness. it's been far too long walking aimlessly in that desert...

but you go ahead and be that guy, guy.

Re: Only 23 were better than us in that category...

Jun 21, 2016, 4:01 PM [ in reply to Only 23 were better than us in that category... ]

plus, depth and apparent injuries (kearse, mac, etc.) had a lot to do with those last 4 scoring games. i'd say the d will be even stronger this yr. considering what has been on the field in last 3 yrs under bv, i for one am not worried in the slightest about this d. guarantee they will knock other teams d1ck in the dirt

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

if dsp were to go full lemming, fm wood be nigh last...

Jun 21, 2016, 4:34 PM

on the list of pied-pipers of which i'd follow over the edge.

still, have a nice and enjoy your trip.

hoping fm leaves a bread trail

Jun 21, 2016, 4:48 PM

please notify authorities of my whereabouts. hoping i'm not in abyss - that would suck

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

With the offense we'll put on the field in 2016

Jun 22, 2016, 8:56 AM [ in reply to Re: Only 23 were better than us in that category... ]

#10 overall and #24 scoring D should win a whole lot of games.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't find that consoling.

Jun 21, 2016, 4:43 PM [ in reply to Only 23 were better than us in that category... ]

I am somewhat consoled that we are not loaded with Jr and Sr talent on the offense knowing that the following year we're gonna nose dive off the charts as do some.

I also find comfort that our coaches don't hesitate to throw the youn'uns in the fire for purification.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He mistook our Defense for our Kick Return D (115th of 127 teams)***

Jun 21, 2016, 5:59 PM [ in reply to Only 23 were better than us in that category... ]

Re: Looks really good - except for Scoring Defense at 24th***

Jun 21, 2016, 5:47 PM [ in reply to Looks really good - except for Scoring Defense at 24th*** ]

41 td,s is a bunch. Few in the top fifty were as bad. AND points determine who wins!

Ya gotta match that with the offenses played.

Jun 21, 2016, 6:09 PM [ in reply to Looks really good - except for Scoring Defense at 24th*** ]

24th in scoring defense is solid ... not as stellar as the year before, but solid.

The question would be how efficient were the offenses they faced, vs. the offenses faced by the teams who ranked higher?

Also, what sort of offensive pace did the teams that were ranked higher play. A slower offense = less time for opponents to score.

Factor those into the mix and I think we'll be more than satisfied.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm confused... where is South Carolina on that list?

Jun 21, 2016, 4:13 PM [ in reply to Hopefully this helps... ]

I thought we were in their rear-view mirror now?

Re: I admit that as I get older

Jun 21, 2016, 4:00 PM

IMO you are spot on. Our defense last years was very spotty to say the least and the play of our safeties was largely mediocre to poor after the first 4 games or so. This year I really believe our D will be top 10 and with the O we have--good luck to anyone playing the 2016 Tigers. Toughest game many be FSU but with Number 4, the best I've seen in over 50 years of watching college football with all things considered, we win that game and go on to win the National Championship. Go Tigers

Maybe I'm the one confused.

Jun 21, 2016, 4:33 PM

I think we play an all or none defense. Venables seems like a Vegas roulette wheel. You might get lucky against his defense every now and then but your best chance of winning is going to be to take the big risk. You can't pick a color for he'll beat you on what you think might be 50/50 odds.

Every now and then somebody hit on a number but so far I'm delighted with his low risk-high reward gambles. We were in the top of the NCAA for the second consecutive year on forcing 3 and outs.

I bet a lot of teams when down like crack hoes on Friday night trying to win the battle of the stats.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 21, 2016, 4:43 PM

Giving up points seems to come with the no huddle, fast break offense. They either score or get off the field pretty quick. Defenses become worn down. Just my take. It will take a REALLY good defense to keep opponents off the score board.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 21, 2016, 5:00 PM

Yes, but where we were outstanding all year long was in 3rd down defense. If my memory serves me correctly, most of the yards/scores we gave up came in the early downs. Last year I remember having more confidence that we were able to stop opposing offenses on 3rd down and being more nervous on earlier downs as the year progressed. Maybe it is just me....

Jun 21, 2016, 5:09 PM

We were thin and banged up at LB most of the year. We do lose M Alexander but we gain a ton of talent at LB! The front 4 will be solid. The secondary is my concern, however, the pressure and run stopping of the front 4 and LB's will aid the secondary! Gonna be fun to watch

Not to be a stickler...

Jun 21, 2016, 5:22 PM

We gave up less than 130 PTs in the last 4 games.

AND we scored 164... So there's that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not to be a stickler...

Jun 21, 2016, 6:10 PM

My bad That Clemson education wasted. When I add up 45,17,37 and 32 I get 131. Likewise 37,45,37 and 40 equals 159. I'm old so you will have to understand.

Jun 21, 2016, 6:40 PM

Ewe r correct oh wise one of the Forrest! I mixed up our natty game score.... 5 PTs either way. My B.

I'm wrong you're right
I'm dumb you're smart
I'm ugly your beautiful
Etc etc.

Message was edited by: elwyn07®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 22, 2016, 7:18 AM

Poin for being truthful!!!

Jun 21, 2016, 5:54 PM

I don't think that FSU will be a stumbling block for us. They could be the team that helps to show just how good we are, but they need to be undefeated when we beat them!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 21, 2016, 8:55 PM

What is overlooked is that the faster you score and get your offense off the field, it allows their offense to have more chances to score. It's the Ying-Yang thing. If we played like Bama and go "3 yards and a cloud of dust" offense, then we would be more of a ball-control offense, and their offense would see the field less often. We don't play like that. We play fast and score fast. Replay some of our games from a few years ago and last year and you'll see the difference. Remember when Morris wanted 80 plays per game on offense?? We do that. Normal teams do 50-60 in a game. We aren't the norm anymore.

Bottom line: Our D is fine. Replay the games and watch the hits. Imagine them hitting YOU, and you'll understand just how good our D really is.

Jun 21, 2016, 9:15 PM

I agree with that. We gave up some long plays in several games that allowed our opponent to score quickly. Bama was especially good at that. Hopefully this year we can cut down on the number of big yardage plays I expect our linebacker coverage to improve. These first few games will give us a good indication of how the D has improved. Opening on on the road in a hostile environment could work in our favor. Can't you see the Wayne Train having a great start in the Plains?

First, we had a safety that went AWOL after the GT game.

Jun 21, 2016, 9:47 PM

Second, our linebackers played almost every snap of every game. At least one of them was worn out by the end of the year. We have much more depth at Linebacker this year. Much more depth at DT and DE. Annnnd, our offense is going to be a machine.....

First, we had a safety that went AWOL after the GT game.

Jun 21, 2016, 9:47 PM

Second, our linebackers played almost every snap of every game. At least one of them was worn out by the end of the year. We have much more depth at Linebacker this year. Much more depth at DT and DE. Annnnd, our offense is going to be a machine.....

Jun 22, 2016, 8:22 AM

As I get older, I realize that these may be the greatest times ever in the history of Clemson football. I started following in the Frank Howard era, was at Clemson during the Hootie/Parker era, started with season tickets in 1981, enjoyed the Danny era, agonized through the years to follow. Now we're coming off of a record-breaking year, ACC Champs, Beat the Irish, beat the Coots, played in the Natty. I'm loving it and mildly care how many points we give up as long as we win.

Go Tigers!

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Someone may have said this, but I don't have time

Jun 22, 2016, 8:38 AM

to read every post. My take on last year's defense: they had greatness in them, but they lost their mojo. Individuals stepped up at times, but by the end of the season there were a few (DBs) who let their teammates down by either getting injured or looking ahead to the draft.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WL

Jun 22, 2016, 10:18 AM

Maybe they were tired from all the night games?

Replies: 37
| visibility 3,200
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic