Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Gullah / Geechie stow ree tullin
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 218

Gullah / Geechie stow ree tullin

Jul 16, 2018, 10:03 PM

Off on a YouTube excursion for St Helena related factoid......an hour later I'm watching this:

https://youtu.be/iCd5W4gwJsI

Among more, but this was worth sharing.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lol. She's not speaking Gullah. She's speaking the king's

Jul 16, 2018, 10:49 PM

English with a relatively mild Gullah accent.

I've scoured the internet and can't find much in the way of authentic Gullah. I literally watched the language die as I grew up. Mary Frazier used to cook breakfast for us at our hunting club in Jacksonboro when I was little. She was probably 70 or older when I was about 6 years old. She and her daughter Bernice, who was older than I was (18-20yo) would cook for 80 of us every Saturday morning. Grits, Eggs, Bacon, Sausage, toast for breakfast with coffee and OJ. For lunch we'd have cubed steak, collard greens, corn bread, and rice and gravy and sweet tea.

Anyway, when Mary would talk to her daughter, or to her husband who sometimes came and helped, I could absolutely not understand a single word. She would speak to me and when she talked to me I could understand her, barely. She would slow down and you could see she would change her pronunciation with words. Eventually Mary passed away and her daughter Bernice did the cooking with her daughter, Madeline. Bernice spoke with a fairly strong Gullah accent, but I could understand her perfectly. Then Madeline had the accent from your video.

Today only very old people even retain a strong Gullah accent and you have to go way down to Jacksonboro and areas south to find it.

Funny story. Mom, dad, and I went one time to The Sanctuary on Kiawah. It was probably the nicest hotel I've stayed in in South Carolina. Most of the people staying there were from up north. Very few people from SC were staying there. Anyway, almost all of the staff spoke with an accent. Dad and I both thought it sounded a lot like a Gullah accent, but it wasn't. We could tell. We finally asked a staff member at breakfast one morning and he explained (in literally a whisper) that over half of the staff were from Jamaica. Then the accent made perfect sense. It was very obvious the hotel imported their staff from Jamaica to make unsuspecting guests from out of state think they were local and speaking with a Gullah accent. The diluted Gullah accent today is very similar to a Jamaican accent.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here's an example

Jul 16, 2018, 11:00 PM

#### Reeves was a white guy, with a geechie accent. But he also did a pretty good Gullah imitation. This was recorded probably in the 50's, and you will have to excuse the racism. But the accent he has pretty close to accurate. Still, even he's not speaking perfect Gullah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdEi6TVAjP4

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: yeah! This is cool to hear!

Jul 17, 2018, 7:47 AM

This is more my recollection as well.

Kind of sad to see it die off. The basket making and all these things are barely getting taught to the children anymore. They're off to college and so on, not needing the skills to survive anymore. It will surely be gone soon. Likely in our children's lifetime or so.

Geechie accent is dying as well.

Jul 17, 2018, 3:32 PM

I love how they say a phone number.

shree ate noin fo seben too foive
389-4725

Cracks me up every time.

You need to hang out in d'town CHS

Jul 17, 2018, 3:37 PM

Not the yuppy area south of the crosstown, but north of Burke High School.

Re: Here's an example

Jul 17, 2018, 2:28 PM [ in reply to Here's an example ]

It's not really THAT dead.

I mean, working in restaurants in Charleston in college, even the inner city folks who worked in the kitchen sounded a lot like this.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's still a fair amount of it spoken in CHS***

Jul 17, 2018, 2:31 PM

Re: Yeah, I know. It's labeled as such.

Jul 17, 2018, 7:45 AM [ in reply to Lol. She's not speaking Gullah. She's speaking the king's ]

It was the story of the Gullah that was the point. Not her specifically speaking the language. She mentions her talking with elderly, and some of their deeper dialect. Just a good story.

But, your story was cool. I too had relatives from Pawley's and Edisto, and many of them grew up around the language themselves. They had about as much accent as she has.

I also do recall spending many childhood spring times down there. We had help from a few natives, and many of them were not understandable at all either! 2 guys especially were around often doing chores and things for my great uncle. Melvin and "Sharkey". Those two would carry on to things you may catch one word a sentence. Great guys, minus their alcoholism(s). Taught many things about fishing and crabbing I still use today. First low-country crab I ever ate, was shown how to me by those guys.

Miss those days.

I've been around St Helena island recently, and did hear quite the accent on a few folks there. It is definitely a dying language. Seems like the Charleston contingent don't speak it all anymore. I recall Charleston having the most thick of all accents back when.

The Ohioans barley speak english***

Jul 17, 2018, 2:32 PM

lady sounds like my grandmother

Jul 17, 2018, 2:51 PM

or about 1000 other elderly people (black and white) I know/knew growing up in the Beaufort/Jasper/Hampton/Colleton County area.

My grandfolks had some words and phrases that I have never heard repeated by anyone since. As an adult I looked them up online and they were Gullah words. That's how most Lowcountry people talked 50 years ago. Still some of that, but it's been driven nearly extinct due to Yankees and carpetbaggers infiltrating with the natives (of which my family has been down there since the 1700's).

Blame the military (Parris Island, Laurel Bay, etc), the Hilton Head Bridge, and the other coastal developers.

Oh, and I used to get into it with a dearly departed TigerNet mainstay on this, and many of you may remember, but the word "Geechee" was a more offensive word to some black folk than the n-word. I was taught to NEVER call anyone that unless you were prepared to fight. And I saw several fights over that word. "Gullah" OK. "Geechee" No. I think that's kinda faded out too.

Replies: 10
| visibility 218
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic