Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How much credence do you give job vs location?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

How much credence do you give job vs location?

Jan 14, 2013, 12:16 PM

Nothing in stone yet, but I may have a decision to make in terms of a dream job in a not-so dream location versus a "meh" job in a good, convenient, close-to-home location. Pay is about the same.

I ask because I'm mildly serious, but I am be disappoint if Jerngers didn't respond as equally jokingly as I am serious.

2010_donor_pickem.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pimping in Columbia doesn't sound that good to me

Jan 14, 2013, 12:21 PM

But dem hoes must like you a lot.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Finally thinking about bumping up from weed to coke?***

Jan 14, 2013, 12:25 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well would you rather be happy at work or happy when not at

Jan 14, 2013, 12:26 PM

work?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

#ACCFTS

B.

Jan 14, 2013, 12:30 PM

But I also figure the things at home are easier to manipulate and change for the better than the things at work.

2010_donor_pickem.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

do you have a family? if so location weighs more

Jan 14, 2013, 12:27 PM

is dream job permanent in crap location or is it a stepping stone to better?

the nearly equal compensation? is it really equal for each city? will you spend all of your money and free time "escaping" the crappy location?

will your quality of life in the convenient location make the "meh" job better?

A lot of tough decisions. At least you arent in the 47%

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wife only. Kids a consideration, but nothing of substance.

Jan 14, 2013, 12:30 PM

Dream job is permanent in that I'd be there for a while. But I wouldn't expect to retire there.

The financial differences (proportionally) in A vs B aren't large enough to base the decision on.

I wouldn't anticipate that Raleigh (meh job) would be able to significantly better my sentiments about my job.

Raleigh is the better option?

Jan 14, 2013, 10:04 PM

What is A, Columbus, OH?

you married?

Jan 14, 2013, 12:28 PM

If not, then how old? I guess I would say if you're married, go for it because you'll at least have the family/ wife with you in a place where there may not be a lot of social life. If you're not married and young, I would say still go for it, because you can always work your way up and have options of work location later on, but you won't be so old that your pool of ladies is smaller.

On the other hand, I have a friend who is in his late 20's and who worked in a smaller town in Pennsylvania for some time. He came to hang out in DC a good bit, and he never complained about feeling isolated.

What are your concerns with the location of the dream job?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We need to know locations to judge this. For me, I could do

Jan 14, 2013, 12:29 PM

dream job in some crappy locations vs. meh job in great location if the metrics worked out. Some places are more of a hellnah type move though. Sense this does not make?

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fair point: I'll throw you a bone.

Jan 14, 2013, 12:35 PM

The crappy location is the DC/Balitmore area (no firm details on which yet).

The good, convenient, close-to-home location is Raleigh inside-the-beltline.

Take the dream job. As long as it wasn't some place where

Jan 14, 2013, 12:39 PM

you are stuck in the middle of nowhere, you should be fine. You can find fun stuff in Baltimore/DC. Also, Baltimore is like the safest place in the US other than maybe Houston.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Goes Houston, Baltimore, Chicago, Congo, Detroit***

Jan 14, 2013, 12:40 PM

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Afgahnistan is safer than Chicago

Jan 14, 2013, 12:43 PM

http://nation.foxnews.com/chicago-murders/2013/01/14/more-murders-chicago-2012-allied-losses-afghanistan#ixzz2HxifWj8s

ALL are wonderful places

Jan 14, 2013, 12:43 PM [ in reply to Goes Houston, Baltimore, Chicago, Congo, Detroit*** ]

if you like murder

Buyer's market.***

Jan 14, 2013, 1:50 PM

DC area is actually great for younger people...

Jan 14, 2013, 12:43 PM [ in reply to Fair point: I'll throw you a bone. ]

lots of stuff to do, and although it's not exactly right next door, DC is only about 4 hours from Raleigh. You also don't actually have to live in DC to experience the best of the area, and in fact, I wouldn't recommend living in DC. Arlington and Alexandria in Virginia are great places to live and are filled with younger people and young families. The only big difference would be in the cost of living, which is very high in DC. So if the salary is about the same, it's not going to go as far in DC.

Another thing to consider is that DC has some of the most jobs of anywhere in the country, so the wife would probably have an easier time finding something.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The DC/Bmore job would provide a pay raise

Jan 14, 2013, 12:59 PM

But proportionally and taking cost of living into consideration, the jobs would pay about the same.

The details about the location that my wife and I are standoffish about are, among other things:

1) we wouldn't be close to any family at all

2) we would have to commute there whereas we don't now

3) the consideration of kids is large enough that we need to consider where and how we want them raised for the next 5-10 years

4) we both want to end up in either of the Carolinas, and we're already here

5) we've both visited and lived in other places enough that we don't have the travel bug

6) if we left, how difficult would it be to get back based on the natural habits you develop when you live somewhere for a while?

We're not unhappy where we are now. But we're at a crossroads both professionally and personally that we need to make a long-term decision.

I can give insight on 2 and 3.

Jan 14, 2013, 1:53 PM

2) The DC/NOVA traffic is simply awful. You're always at least 40 minutes from anywhere during rush hour. In every direction.

3) Fairfax and Loudoun Counties have some of the best school systems in the country.

I would need more information on where you'd live/work

Jan 14, 2013, 2:38 PM [ in reply to The DC/Bmore job would provide a pay raise ]

because DC =/= DC suburb =/= Baltimore City =/= Baltimore County.

It may not be the ideal location, but at least it's accessible (not too far to drive. More importantly, you can hop a plane and be in Clemson in about 4 hours in case you are wondering).

I will say that commuting up there sucks. I was lucky enough to live within walking distance of my job. The down side of that is that it was in Baltimore City.

There are some great schools in that area (of course, it depends on where you will be).

I've been trying to 'get back' to the Carolinas for a while now and haven't had much luck. in fact I ended up farther away (great job, ehh location). I think that has a lot to do with the type of work that I do though...so I can't say it would be the same for everyone.

"It's Baltimore, Gentlemen; the Gods will not save you."

Having family near by is great when you have kids.***

Jan 14, 2013, 8:09 PM [ in reply to The DC/Bmore job would provide a pay raise ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Fair point: I'll throw you a bone.

Jan 14, 2013, 12:55 PM [ in reply to Fair point: I'll throw you a bone. ]

I live in the crappy place and it's not that bad, huge Clemson alum group up here. Tons to do up here. Depends on where you live in the DC/balt area too.

I'd go with Raleigh, closer to Clemson football and cost of living is less.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

Check your math here Palmetto. Not sure if in the thread

Jan 14, 2013, 12:55 PM [ in reply to Fair point: I'll throw you a bone. ]

but consider what the job pays vs location. Having lived in the DC/Balt area, the cost of living (specifically housing) is VERY HIGH. Don't know a ton about Raleigh but would bet housing is significantly less.

Also, despite what your textbooks may have read, DC is where yankee begins. North Raleigh is the mason-dixon line.

You're also creeping a few degrees colder with weather up north. IMO I'd much rather raise a family in NC than in MD...not sure if that is a factor with you or not.

I don't do winters.

Jan 14, 2013, 1:13 PM [ in reply to Fair point: I'll throw you a bone. ]

So the job in the murder capital of America wouldn't even be a consideration.

so you

Jan 14, 2013, 1:47 PM

hibernate?

I don't live where it gets cold.

Jan 14, 2013, 1:52 PM

I'm not worth the kind of money it would take to pay me to make me live where its cold and continuously snows in the winter.

well that doesn't describe DC or Balt. 60 degrees today***

Jan 14, 2013, 2:05 PM

It regularly snows there in the winter, yes?***

Jan 14, 2013, 2:08 PM

no, it doesn't actually, kind of wish it did. averages 15

Jan 14, 2013, 2:11 PM

inches I think. Last winter we got 2 inches. This winter we have received .5 inch.

15 inches of snow is probably 7 times as much snow

Jan 14, 2013, 2:19 PM

as I have seen in the last 10 years.

It snowed here in 2010(?) on Valentines day weekend. Snowed Friday-friday night about 2"; was all gone and melted by Sunday afternoon.

ok.. just saying it is not 'continuously' snowing all winter***

Jan 14, 2013, 2:20 PM

No...not really. 2010 was kind of a fluke...in 2011 I think

Jan 14, 2013, 2:39 PM [ in reply to It regularly snows there in the winter, yes?*** ]

Clemson got more snow than I got in Baltimore.

now, here...where I'm at now...it snows a lot.

"It's Baltimore, Gentlemen; the Gods will not save you."

We probably get snow once or twice a season

Jan 14, 2013, 2:08 PM [ in reply to I don't live where it gets cold. ]

rarely enough to stop work.

The problem comes is that it stays on the grass for three weeks, and keeps refreezing into a slushy mess.

dream job = no job with no financial worries

Jan 14, 2013, 12:32 PM

go with dream job

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Location is my first consideration. Everything else is

Jan 14, 2013, 12:45 PM

secondary.

Re: How much credence do you give job vs location?

Jan 14, 2013, 12:47 PM

I moved north for a dream job. as you are away parents and inlaws get older and need elder care. 12 hours away by car is no fun then. it is something I never considered when younger.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

under 35 - take the dream job

Jan 14, 2013, 12:57 PM

over 35 - take the dream location. You need to settle down, boy.

I've been there, done all of them, starting with crap job in a crap location. I've lived in bad places and worked for bad companies. As you age, you really want to find a place you want to LIVE, not work.

Now after working hard for many years in many circumstances, I now have my dream job in my dream location. It happens.

Keep pushing.

Been pushing Clemson for 20 years.

Jan 14, 2013, 1:14 PM

It ain't happenin'.

Lint trap filter cleaner in Clemson.

Jan 14, 2013, 1:28 PM

Beat dat!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic