Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Local dives that you must go to at least once?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Local dives that you must go to at least once?

May 9, 2019, 3:23 PM

I got the Zorba Lounge in Greenville - Stone and Washington. Get the steak sandwich.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Local dives that you must go to at least once?

May 9, 2019, 3:24 PM

Red Lobster

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Nu Way & Ikes

May 9, 2019, 3:27 PM

Are not the dives they used to be but the food is much better than back then too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

here is my story

May 9, 2019, 3:28 PM

I haven't been to Zorbas in years and we were going to gville to see the Wobblers and the plan was to go to Zorbas beforehand. Anyway they were closed for vacation or something so went to the taco place across the street and I ordered wrong there

Wobblers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG95o70xEZY

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Probably not a popular opinion...

May 9, 2019, 3:29 PM

But there is no right order at Willy’s Tacos. Overrated in my opinion. But somehow hugely popular.

I hole fartedly agree

May 9, 2019, 3:32 PM

They don’t sell tacos, they sell hipster on a tortilla.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

Re: I hole fartedly agree

May 9, 2019, 3:40 PM

Hyman’s***

May 9, 2019, 3:37 PM

“To See a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.” WB

Sloan St. Tavern

May 9, 2019, 3:56 PM

When Jimmy is there drunk.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Great place.***

May 9, 2019, 4:39 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not bad but Sloan St < Backstreets.

May 9, 2019, 4:48 PM [ in reply to Sloan St. Tavern ]

And both are < the Gameroom.

RIP Snake.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thirsty Beaver in Charlotte.

May 9, 2019, 4:01 PM

It's the epitome of dive bar. You want food? There's a bowl of stale pretzels on the bar.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thirsty Beaver in Charlotte.

May 9, 2019, 4:26 PM

Is The Comet still open? Used to go to that place every weekend for the music & beer. And their burgers were dámn good too.

Yep, Comet is still there are they do a pretty good job

May 9, 2019, 4:35 PM

lining up local music. It's not the dive that the Beaver is by any stretch, but it's a very cool joint in its own right.

Good to hear

May 9, 2019, 4:39 PM

I’ll jave to stop by there on my next trip. Spent many a weekends walking back up Park Rd heading home for the night.

Lenny federal Band every Friday night is a Charlotte

May 9, 2019, 4:46 PM

institution. I think Lenny was around playing music when God was a toddler.

Highlander N. Augusta. Where I met my wife.

May 9, 2019, 4:43 PM

Used to go many a Friday night at 2am. They closed at 6 am. I see now they close at 2am.

https://www.pubhighlander.net/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That fine establishment is most certainly not a DIVE sir!

May 9, 2019, 4:50 PM

Mah knickers dere were serving Guinness and Bass back in da day when that ##### was usually only available across the pond.

They are to be ever honored.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bass on tap even. Walked home many

May 9, 2019, 5:19 PM

a morning as the sun was coming up to Hammond Hills.

We used to go there after King George Pub would close ....

May 9, 2019, 7:48 PM [ in reply to Highlander N. Augusta. Where I met my wife. ]

On Thurs (half price pint night)

not sure how I used to function at work on Fridays.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bert’s Bar on Sullivan’s Island was great but now

May 9, 2019, 4:46 PM

closed.

https://www.postandcourier.com/news/friday-will-mark-last-call-at-bert-s/article_ffd674b0-4115-50b8-b91f-4cbc7fbfb214.html

Re: Bert’s Bar on Sullivan’s Island was great but now

May 9, 2019, 5:23 PM

If it hurts, go to Bert’s.

Chicago has a lot

May 9, 2019, 5:11 PM

We've got everything from the pure dives where anybody not dressed like a member of pipefitters Local 157 is going to get stared at until they leave, to "dives" that were built a couple weeks ago that serve $100 bottles of wine.

I like Rose's Lounge mostly for the grandma's basement feng shui combined with the spinster cat lady smell and the jukebox from 1993. Rossi's Liquors doesn't even look like a bar from outside on State St. in River North, but it's the least pretentious bar downtown. Then there's Zakopane, which is a Polish-owned joint where most of the patrons don't speak English. Finally, there's Woodlawn Tap way down in Hyde Park, which is one of the only bars near the University of Chicago, and which serves only popcorn and Ball Park hotdogs.

Rose's Lounge in all its glory:

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Recovery Room in Charleston

May 9, 2019, 6:13 PM

I used to live within walking distance of there and spent MANY Saturday nights chugging PBRs and doing coke in the bathroom with the hipsters.

The Griffon downtown Charleston...but it's gotten so much recognition over the years that it doesn't really feel that local until after midnight when all the food/bev crowd meets up after they get off work.

Uncle Louies in the Vista in Columbia. Jakes in 5 points...other than that, I don't eff with bars in Columbia.

Random Tap in Elgin is a craft beer place but has a it of a dive feel. Gadgets in Lugoff of 601 going towards Camden. It's got a honkey tonk feel.

I don't frequent Charlotte much...but Jeff's Bucket Shop is fun....and this isn't really a dive bar...but Soul Gastrolounge is one of the cooler spots I've gone to lately.

Zorba still has the best steak sammich in the history of

May 9, 2019, 7:19 PM

the universe. I ate there weekly in the 80s thru mid 90s. Went last year for first time in 20 years and same great steak sammich, same cheesy tacky bar decor. I've been out of the dive scene for so long I can't make a legit suggestion anymore, however I was a professional back in the day.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic