Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Little things make a big difference.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1,086

Little things make a big difference.

Sep 15, 2020, 4:38 PM

Coaches talk about that all the time. I'll give you two examples from our game last week. Two little things that went unnoticed in the game, but would have changed the game around completely.

1. Samuel, our CB, made his first interception early in the game. He got a nice return. He had broken into open field and their was an OL for GT who had the angle on him. We had another DB who was in position to make a block. He didn't need to slobberknock the guy, but get into his path and redirect him. Instead he ran right past him. Not even a patty cake block. Not even a whiff. He just ran past the guy. He makes the block and there is a pick 6.

2. Much later in the game, Blackman drops back to pass. He's in the pocket and is getting no real pressure on him. He locks on to a WR who is running a post pattern. Blackman throws the ball to him, 40 yards down the field and it is incomplete. During the play, a RB slipped out of the backfield and was 5 to ten yards past the line of scrimmage outside the hash marks. There was a blown coverage. Literally, no defender was within 15 yards of him. If Blackman had just looked toward him and hit him with a decent pass he would have caught the ball at about the 30 yard line and probably waltzed into the endzone, certainly would have gotten inside the 10 yard line. But, Blackman never took his eyes of the WR.

Two little things that kept the play from turning into a game changing play. There is no doubt in my mind the Clemson DB would have made the block, or at least tried to make the block. And, there is certainly no doubt that TL would have checked down and made the correct throw.

When I coached I used to tell my kids, "The biggest play of the game is usually the play that no one thinks of as the biggest play of the game, because it was a play that should have been made but wasn't."

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep.... do the little things right and big things will

Sep 15, 2020, 4:58 PM

happen.

I finally got around to watching the second half of the FSU vs GA Tech game yesterday. Blackman has an arm but his football IQ is very inconsistent. That may be a function of 3 coaching staffs in 4 years, getting the #### knocked out of him from sub-par offensive line play, or he just isn't a high football IQ guy. Either way some of his decisions are head-scratchers.

FSU's defense had some great moments in the game (much more so than the offense) and the talent is obvious on that side of the ball. The FSU O-line still has problems - especially when the starters were not in the game. IMO, Norville's highest priority has got to be the O-line and unfortunately that is usually not a one recruiting class/one year fix.

Even with those problems - something else just seems to be off with FSU. At some point it is no longer just "coaching issues" but "player issues". I think there is something still not right in the locker room and that the FSU program culture is not where it needs to be.

Just an outsider's opinion for what it is worth...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yep.... do the little things right and big things will

Sep 15, 2020, 7:37 PM

1. OL stinks. Starting five were improved, but four of them were injured during the game and had to come out at different times. (All returned so no injury was serious.) replacements were horrible. Norvell trying to put a good spin on it, but you are correct. The line can improve, but it will take until 2022 for them to be even very good, much less strong.

2. Blackman. Norvell was bragging about him in pre-season. But, in the game he reverted back to his old habits: Holding on to the ball too long, locking on to one receiver, not being accurate, not sensing pressure. I'm not optimistic about him. If Chubba Purdy had not gotten injured I would expect him to be the starter by game 5.

3. DL underwhelmed. They were supposed to be dominant. And, the worst thing they did all night was take away the edge. GT RBs continually got to the edge with no defender even close to turning them back inside.

I'm still optimistic about Norvell, but he's not a miracle worker. It's gonna take time.

Re: Little things make a big difference.

Sep 15, 2020, 5:16 PM

Well the sad reality for FSU is that it’s run of greatness holds no water because of the royal screw job Jimbo gave yall . Then to make such a terrible hire after that . It’s going to take years for FSU to be even a good team.
Better hope this Coach is right or it could be the end for FSU as a football power.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Livin here in Texas and Knowin a bunch of Aggies

Sep 15, 2020, 5:18 PM

He is pretty much detested from a character standpoint in College Station. Mostly seen as a snake oil salesman who is hurting their brand.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Livin here in Texas and Knowin a bunch of Aggies

Sep 15, 2020, 5:21 PM

You can look at him and just the way he talks pretty much know he is a slime ball.

Sep 15, 2020, 6:14 PM

His answers are endless run on sentences where he just can't keep his mouth shut because he just has to keep on going like there isn't any tomorrow or maybe he just wants to answer every question in one long answer or maybe he thinks he'll answer every question that hasn't yet been asked kind of like an undisciplined kid who just can't shut his a-hole. You know what I mean? He's Wittle Jimbo.

Sep 15, 2020, 7:40 PM [ in reply to Livin here in Texas and Knowin a bunch of Aggies ]

aTm shoulda known what they were getting. He is riding his success with Jamies Winston a whole lot farther than he should have. His greatest asset is he has Jimmy Sexton as his agent. Sexton turned a "slime ball" into a 75 million dollar, guaranteed, coach. But, he didn't change Jimbo's character. He's still a jerk.

We tried to tell Aggies, but NO!

Sep 15, 2020, 9:54 PM

Again we told them (fans) in 2019 when here and a few sorta agreed, after we beat them.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 8
| visibility 1,086
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic